Youngest person you've seen with an iPhone?

juno0218

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
i know some parents who in fact DO pay for everything regarding their children's devices/accessories/plans but there is a unspoken deal. continue to do well in school and you will continue to keep your Phone lol
Agreed! No good grades no iPhone!

juno0218

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
My buddy got his 3 year old son an iPad 2 for Christmas and got himself an iPad 3 but this day and age more and more 10 year olds seem to be getting iPhones from mommy and daddy i got my first phone senior year of high school those days are longgggg gone 😱
I was about 17 when I got my first cellphone. But as I state before my 2 year old son has an ipad 2. He was about year and a half when he started using it. It really has helped him learn a lot and quickly.

Lodingi

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
The problem with this is when the child breaks the phone its a ton more to replace unless you have insurance- so if you add the $30 data plan plus another $10 for insurance you are looking at an additional $40 a month so a 9 year old can play angry birds and text with his friends.

And some of us, myself included, are fine with this.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I was a freshman in High School when I got my first cell phone - it was one of those brick Nokia phones on Cricket for $35 a month (unlimited talk and text). My grandparents got me the phone for Christmas and, as part of my gift, took care of the bill each month. The only reason I was even allowed to get a cell phone was because I was involved in so many extracurricular activities. I hated always having to borrow someone else's phone to tell my parents when to pick me up. I didn't upgrade to a smartphone (BlackBerry Curve) until I was a Senior in college.

My little cousin got his first cellphone at 10 (enV3) and then got a smartphone at 12 (Droid Incredible). They have insurance on the phone and they had to swap it out at LEAST 3 times because he's downloaded corrupted apps from the app store.

This is not meant to sound disrespectful to anyone's kids who have a cellphone already, but I feel like making them wait for it makes them appreciate it that much more when they finally get one. I'm sure by the time I have kids, that philosophy will no longer work.

Reactions: GingerSnapsBack

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I was 17 when I got my first cell phone in 1997 when I started driving. I had a 30 minute allowance each month and it was to remain turned off in my glove box unless I had a true 911 emergency like a flat tire or I just sawed off my femur. My parents got me a pager so if they needed me, they paged me.

A sort of friend of mine decided her 8 year old needed a phone and of course Kid just had to have an iPhone so Mama shells out the $ for an iPhone but decides an Otterbox is too much so she gives Kid the iPhone naked. Yeah. It lasted a week before Kid dropped it on the playground and shattered the screen.

Personally, I don't care much for kids and won't have any of my own, but if I lost my mind or met Sergio Di Zio from Flashpoint and married him and did, my kid could have a phone - whatever he or she wanted - as soon as they could pay for it. I'm not the First National Bank of Mama. I'd put the phone on my account, but the month my kid didn't pay for it was the month it got shut off for good.

Pjr772

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Like I said in my previous post I got my 7 year old a 4s. My 10 year old also has one. Both are 32gb 4s and are the same price as a iPod touch. The data plans are a write off through my company and the ability to track my kids with find my friends and their ability to text and or contact me any time they need to is priceless to me. I wouldn't care if they cost me $200 a month. Both of my kids walk to school everyday and both are in daily activities, sports, dance, etc. that require my wife and I to leave them for several hours. It's more for our piece of mind than it is for their entertainment. In my opinion those who take issue with money being spent on their children are being a little selfish. Now if you don't have the means that is a completely different story. My children have everything they need and pretty much everything they want that we can afford and they are two of the most responsible, well mannered, grateful children I know.

Reactions: GolfnCPA

AppleSmart

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
You can't always judge a book by its cover and here's why:

My 10 yr old dd has my old iPhone 4. She didn't start out with it though. In fact, I hadn't planned on getting her a phone until she entered junior high. However, she went out of state last summer to visit family.

We had a serious discussion about a phone and what would make her feel comfortable. She got a simple (not smart) phone and it was priceless during her trip. She was able to text, call and send pics to me whenever she wanted. It made her enjoy her trip more because she could share pics of what they were doing and I'd send her pics of our puppy because she missed him a lot.

Fast forward a few months and the home button on my iPhone 4 was only working intermittently. Apple offered a refurbished iPhone 4 to me for $99 or the iPhone 4s was $149. I chose the latter.

I googled online and found a tweak for the home button on the 4. I hooked the iPhone 4 up to dd's line so we could see if the tweak worked so I could sell it on eBay. Well, it worked and we both got comfortable with her having the iPhone 4. She'd had an iPod touch for a few years so it was nothing new to her. Whereas, she was always coming to me with her not-so-simple non-smartphone. Neither of us could ever figure it out and I'm good with technology. The problem was all the preloaded apps on there which left the phone with no memory. I had a micro SD card in there but we'd literally be transferring things to it manually daily just for her to receive a picture or text.

I found a way to take all the preloaded junk off but the program only worked on a PC. We only have Apple computers. I couldn't borrow a PC.

With all that said, she's been using the iPhone 4 since last November. The home button doesn't work sometimes but nothing like when I was using it. Voice over comes on a lot on its own too. It's very strange. So, the phone has its quirks and just like any other 10 year old, her phone is a privilege. It's the first to go if she acts up. There's also parental controls on it. The "phone" turns off at 7pm on school nights so she can't make or receive texts and calls, etc. She turns 11 in two months. The only difference in pricing was $15/mo for data. I already have unlimited texting on our plan.

I know of one other child in her grade who has an iPhone and it's because she saved her own money and bought it herself. (And we quickly found out you can't block iMessages. This wasn't a girl who should have had dd's phone number but her number had been handed out like candy at school without her permission. We changed her phone number and now only her best friend, family and family friends have her new number.)

My 7 yr old got the latest generation iPod touch for her 7th birthday. It's super fun to be able to text with her and she can facetime with family. She even has another girl in her class she can iMessage with.

So that's our story and how my dd ended up with an iPhone.

As you can see, I haven't updated my signature since. I guess I should change it.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
A sort of friend of mine decided her 8 year old needed a phone and of course Kid just had to have an iPhone so Mama shells out the $ for an iPhone but decides an Otterbox is too much so she gives Kid the iPhone naked. Yeah. It lasted a week before Kid dropped it on the playground and shattered the screen.

Laura, I physically cringed when I read this. A naked iPhone, for anyway, is a problem. I'm currently enrolled in a Master's program and one of the guys in my class has a naked iPhone. At the start of the Fall semester last year, it was pristine. 8 weeks later, there was a massive chunk taken out of the glass (below the screen and to the right of the home button in a triangular shape). I have no idea how the screen didn't shatter. It looked like it was almost gouged out. Fast forward about 2 months later - all of the glass to the right of the home button and under the screen is gone. I guess it must have broken apart from normal use. My stomach still clenches whenever I see it.

The earliest ive seen was at the hospital... a lady gave birth to a baby and the baby came out playing angry birds on his 4s...Insane i know!

This was CLASSIC!

Uselessbass

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
My to boys play with my wife and I's old iPhone 4's they love playing games on them, and using the camera and video recorder my boys are only 3 and 6 yrs old, my 3 year old is surprisingly really good at playing games on it now I planned on selling them but they play those more then there Nintendo 3ds now LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Laura, I physically cringed when I read this. A naked iPhone, for anyway, is a problem. I'm currently enrolled in a Master's program and one of the guys in my class has a naked iPhone. At the start of the Fall semester last year, it was pristine. 8 weeks later, there was a massive chunk taken out of the glass (below the screen and to the right of the home button in a triangular shape). I have no idea how the screen didn't shatter. It looked like it was almost gouged out. Fast forward about 2 months later - all of the glass to the right of the home button and under the screen is gone. I guess it must have broken apart from normal use. My stomach still clenches whenever I see it.

I believe I even told Fair Weather Friend that giving Kid a naked iPhone was a mistake, but she just said Kid was responsible and would be careful. Yeah. Sure. Took all I had and then some not to say I told you so when she called me asking me if I could repair a shattered screen or loan her the $199 for the insurance deduct.

I use a heavy case on mine all the time unless it's docked. When it's docked, it's backed up against a wall with pillows all around it in case my cats or my lab gets a little anxious.

My two nieces play with my phone when they see me. I've got Duck Hunt on my phone and my oldest niece loves to shoot the ducks while my youngest niece thinks it's just funny to shoot the dog.

I don't get the whole my 7 year old needs an iPhone, but then again, I don't get kids. :p

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I believe I even told Fair Weather Friend that giving Kid a naked iPhone was a mistake, but she just said Kid was responsible and would be careful. Yeah. Sure. Took all I had and then some not to say I told you so when she called me asking me if I could repair a shattered screen or loan her the $199 for the insurance deduct.

I use a heavy case on mine all the time unless it's docked. When it's docked, it's backed up against a wall with pillows all around it in case my cats or my lab gets a little anxious.

My two nieces play with my phone when they see me. I've got Duck Hunt on my phone and my oldest niece loves to shoot the ducks while my youngest niece thinks it's just funny to shoot the dog.

I don't get the whole my 7 year old needs an iPhone, but then again, I don't get kids. :p

I do get kids- I have them and I work with them- its what I have been doing for the last 20 years... Even the most responsible well meaning children are still children. There are non smart phones out there that make and receive calls and text messages. I agree that being able to be able to communicate with your child is very important- You are able to do this with a regular cell phone...

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I do get kids- I have them and I work with them- its what I have been doing for the last 20 years... Even the most responsible well meaning children are still children. There are non smart phones out there that make and receive calls and text messages. I agree that being able to be able to communicate with your child is very important- You are able to do this with a regular cell phone...

A former co-worker of mine got her kid a Cricket phone years and years ago. One of those unlimited texting and talking phones. It may have been a feature phone but this was the pre-iPhone days and about all it could do was Internet on a very limited basis and text and talk. She broke her phone and Mama couldn't afford to get her another one. The ex had an old Nokia Cricket phone he wasn't using so I gave it to Mama to give to Kid and she refused to carry it saying kids would make fun of her. Mama skipped paying her rent that month to buy Kid a new phone so she wouldn't get made fun of.

Perhaps that's why so many kids want iPhones over dumbphones? They'll get beat up?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
A former co-worker of mine got her kid a Cricket phone years and years ago. One of those unlimited texting and talking phones. It may have been a feature phone but this was the pre-iPhone days and about all it could do was Internet on a very limited basis and text and talk. She broke her phone and Mama couldn't afford to get her another one. The ex had an old Nokia Cricket phone he wasn't using so I gave it to Mama to give to Kid and she refused to carry it saying kids would make fun of her. Mama skipped paying her rent that month to buy Kid a new phone so she wouldn't get made fun of.

Perhaps that's why so many kids want iPhones over dumbphones? They'll get beat up?

I have seen kids get teased for a lot of things- Never for not having a cool phone- Believe it or not there are 7 and 8 year old's that don't even have phones- If anything I have heard about iPhone's getting stolen-

DD214#WN

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
my 3yr old rocks my iphone all the time and 9yr old daughter just got an ipad 3 for her b day today.....

the 3yr old knows how to do everything on an iphone/ipad/ipod

he is set for life..

Dienaldy_k

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Last Week I have Seen 5 year old Kids Playing with her Iphone 4 with a Launch book in school when I picked up My Youngest Sister.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have seen kids get teased for a lot of things- Never for not having a cool phone- Believe it or not there are 7 and 8 year old's that don't even have phones- If anything I have heard about iPhone's getting stolen-

I'm sure somewhere it's happened. If kids can get beaten up over shoes or a shirt, I'm sure somewhere, some kid has gotten a smackdown because he either had no phone or the wrong phone. I know I was the unathletic short fat kid in school and I was the one who got teased unmercifully in school for everything and then some. Co-worker's daughter was one of the ones that would have beaten me up in high school had it not been for the 15+ years in age difference at the time. Kids can be so cruel. Makes me glad I'll never have to go through that again.

Thorasgar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: youngest person you've seen with an iPhone?

My boys 7 and 10 have our old 3G and 4 on t mobile. No data $10 for 30 minutes every 90 days. The phone is for emergency/urgent use only and they have respected that. A lot cheaper than buying a Touch, that is insane. They can use VoIP on wifi but they really do not talk on the phone much. I am sure that will change sooner than I would like.

The phones belong to us and they are allowed to use them at our pleasure. Talk back, phone back. Works out well.

Of course they still hound us to use our 4S, 5 and iPad 3s. They know what the good stuff is.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods