Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Global Posts
    21,101 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Phreddyl View Post
    Let me start with i mean no disrespect to others who have posted. While I understand wanting your kids to have a phone to get in touch with them and text etc. I cannot comprehend why a 7 or 8 year old needs an iPhone. I don't care how responsible they are. Bottom line is they are 8. We got our kids iPod touches which allows them to play the games. These don't leave the house when they go to school. A regular phone is just fine IMO for kids that young.
    We're on the same page, my friend. My kids got mobile phones when they turned 12 and the first two were given pre-paid phones to teach them how to maintain their minutes. On the first of every month, I'd refill their minutes. They knew that if they ran out of minutes prior to the 1st of the month, they were SOL. After about 6 months, they were give mobile phones with a traditional plan. That was years ago, however.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

I like to upgrade my iPhone each year, so I pass my old iPhones to my kids. My youngest has had an iPhone since she was 4, firstly a 3G & now a 3GS. My older daughter has had a few as well. She is now 10 & has an iPhone 4. The youngest uses hers on wifi & it has no sim card. For only $10 per month, the oldest has a sim with 1GB data & free txt since the family all have iPhones & she has iMessage. (This is a deal via my employer). I wasn't going to recoup enough money from selling the iPhones & then pay for each of them to get an iPod Touch, so it was actually cheaper for me to give them the iPhones. Besides, when my oldest goes to my parents place over the school holidays, she can take a sim card. She uses it to txt me that she would like to talk & I call her back when I can.
    The added benefit for me is that when I get further long with my iPhone app development, I will still have the older devices for testing as well as my current device.
    The iPhone also helped my youngest daughter to learn to read before she started school. I am surprised that people are quickly to judge parents who let kids have iPhones, there have been many benefits in our household.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My kids both got phones at age 9 (they are now 11 and 17). I work and it gave me peace of mind to know that they could get in contact me if they needed to. Both have iPhone 3GS now. I have a 4S and may pass it along to my daughter (17) when the new iPhone is released. (Shhhh don't tell her!)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,867 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I agree with iPods and iPads for kids .. Games and educational uses .. My daughter had a iPhone 3GS no sim when she was 3 to use until I traded for a iPod 4 g now I'm going to prob either let my just under 2 year old play with the iPod for fun and I am buying my oldest a iPad 2 .. I am all for it because it has helped her read and learn in so many ways along with actual books and school of course .. But both of my kids will not get actual cells with calling plans until we feel the need for them to need that function and are responsible enough to care for them outside the house .. ( other idevice don't leave home unless on long car rides )

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    Truthfully, these Apptivity cases from Fisherprice have been hot sellers. You could buy a baby an iPhone I see them using them all the time.

And who knows, maybe they'll develop such a simple app that it allows infants to play with it straight out of the womb.
    WHy would you buy an iPhone rather than an iPod touch for that use?
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 Beta

Default Surprised and Not Surprised

I'm surprised that 11 year old even got a call! Most teens (or younger hahaha) tend to prefer texting over calling, not to mention having lengthy calls!

But yup, I'm really surprised how many kids have iPhones.

Hmm, now that I think more on it, it does make sense. If parents give kids "phones" and give kids iPod touches, then it would kind of make sense to just go ahead and replace the two devices with a single iPhone, especially with there being lower cost options now (like the 3GS and soon iPhone 4). I'm surprised at the 4S being purchased though (unless the family simply can afford it).
    Last edited by RodneyJ725; 06-05-2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Thought more on the topic....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rodney

@iCraftwork
    @RodneyJ725
    +RodneyJ725
    Facebook/RodneyJ725
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts

We purchased an IPhone 4 for our 12 year old daughter on her birthday. We wanted to put the technology in her hands since we believe this is the direction things are heading. She is a responsible tween with a lot of activities, and it helps us all with time management and organization of her schedule. What is amazing is that she has 4 games on it....4 she seldom plays. I looked at her phone and her calendar looks like mine....completely organized. Her reminders....fully cooked. And not nonsense. Practice times, lesson times, tournaments...

I think it depends on the child. We are amazed at how she has made this device productive for her. It's been very beneficial to us all.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyJ725 View Post
    I'm surprised that 11 year old even got a call! Most teens (or younger hahaha) tend to prefer texting over calling, not to mention having lengthy calls!
    Lol. I constantly have to remind my daughters they can make phone calls with their cell phones.
    Last edited by Lodingi; 06-05-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    mommybetts likes this.

Global Posts
    3,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyJ725 View Post
    Hmm, now that I think more on it, it does make sense. If parents give kids "phones" and give kids iPod touches, then it would kind of make sense to just go ahead and replace the two devices with a single iPhone, especially with there being lower cost options now (like the 3GS and soon iPhone 4). I'm surprised at the 4S being purchased though (unless the family simply can afford it).
    The problem with this is when the child breaks the phone its a ton more to replace unless you have insurance- so if you add the $30 data plan plus another $10 for insurance you are looking at an additional $40 a month so a 9 year old can play angry birds and text with his friends.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Default iphone 3G

I got a white ipod touch 4g myself, and a blackberry curve 8520(bad).
    but i am just waiting for the iphone 5 to release.
    but my little brother from 10 has an old iphone 3G which has been from my dad, me and my mom.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

My 7 year old goddaughter
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    iOS Version

On one hand, I can't imagine giving an iPhone to anyone in elementary school or even younger, but I can understand why some would. However, we did give our 4 year old my husband's Evo to play with on Wifi so I guess it's the same concept. I wouldn't go out and BUY her an iPhone but if I upgraded, I could just give it to her to use at home. I wouldn't pay for a data plan or actually calling for it though. Wifi only. She has no use for a cell phone at this age, and won't until she's quite a bit older. I think I was in high school when I got my first cell phone (Nokia! changeable faceplates!!! lol) and it was to call when I got out of practice or work for a ride. Schools are starting to take out the payphones (remember those?!) and there isn't usually a phone to use after school anyway. However, most practices are consistent so I don't forsee a need for it until she's really busy lol. And that case is crazy. I don't let my 20 month old TOUCH my phone, case or not.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts

My daughter is in entering junior high school (7th grade) this coming year. I just bought her an iPhone3GS for her birthday this past weekend. She's on my At&t plan and has been for a couple years. She's always had basic phones. She has been begging for an iPhone or iPod touch for 2 years now. When she graduated last month (May) she was only one of the few students who had maintained A honor roll for her WHOLE entire time in elementary school. I surprised her with an iPhone 3GS for being such a perfect student and focusing on what's important. So long story short, my daughter is 12 years old and has an iPhone 3GS. It made it real easy to get it considering At&t was only selling them for $0.99 too.
    Sports Dad

iPhone 5 32GB At&t
    iPad2 white 16GB
    Macbook Pro
    Apple TV 2nd generation
    iPhone Nanite

Default My 2 y/o has an ipad

I recently purchased the new ipad, and was going to sell my ipad 2 but noticed that my 1 and a half year old (then) was entertained by the Nextflix app. I went to Brookstone and puchased an iGuy case for the ipad. I have though my son to do FaceTime and answer incoming FaceTime calls. Now when he is at the babysitter he calls me or aswers my calls. This gives me peace of mind. I have also downloaded educational apps as well as all his favorite songs. It seems he uses his iPad more than i use mine. An iphone will make a great gift as soon as he is old enough to use it.
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by E Pow View Post
    My daughter is in entering junior high school (7th grade) this coming year. I just bought her an iPhone3GS for her birthday this past weekend. She's on my At&t plan and has been for a couple years. She's always had basic phones. She has been begging for an iPhone or iPod touch for 2 years now. When she graduated last month (May) she was only one of the few students who had maintained A honor roll for her WHOLE entire time in elementary school. I surprised her with an iPhone 3GS for being such a perfect student and focusing on what's important. So long story short, my daughter is 12 years old and has an iPhone 3GS. It made it real easy to get it considering At&t was only selling them for $0.99 too.
    Straight A stuent, she deserves an iPhone 4S! LOL
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    i know some parents who in fact DO pay for everything regarding their children's devices/accessories/plans but there is a unspoken deal. continue to do well in school and you will continue to keep your Phone lol
    Agreed! No good grades no iPhone!
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by Moneymiike420 View Post
    My buddy got his 3 year old son an iPad 2 for Christmas and got himself an iPad 3 but this day and age more and more 10 year olds seem to be getting iPhones from mommy and daddy i got my first phone senior year of high school those days are longgggg gone 😱
    I was about 17 when I got my first cellphone. But as I state before my 2 year old son has an ipad 2. He was about year and a half when he started using it. It really has helped him learn a lot and quickly.
    E Pow likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Phreddyl View Post
    The problem with this is when the child breaks the phone its a ton more to replace unless you have insurance- so if you add the $30 data plan plus another $10 for insurance you are looking at an additional $40 a month so a 9 year old can play angry birds and text with his friends.
    And some of us, myself included, are fine with this.

Global Posts
    3,060 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Lodingi View Post
    And some of us, myself included, are fine with this.
    Keeps my husband who works for Verizon Wireless in business. Thanks for your support.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    838 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I was a freshman in High School when I got my first cell phone - it was one of those brick Nokia phones on Cricket for $35 a month (unlimited talk and text). My grandparents got me the phone for Christmas and, as part of my gift, took care of the bill each month. The only reason I was even allowed to get a cell phone was because I was involved in so many extracurricular activities. I hated always having to borrow someone else's phone to tell my parents when to pick me up. I didn't upgrade to a smartphone (BlackBerry Curve) until I was a Senior in college.

My little cousin got his first cellphone at 10 (enV3) and then got a smartphone at 12 (Droid Incredible). They have insurance on the phone and they had to swap it out at LEAST 3 times because he's downloaded corrupted apps from the app store.

This is not meant to sound disrespectful to anyone's kids who have a cellphone already, but I feel like making them wait for it makes them appreciate it that much more when they finally get one. I'm sure by the time I have kids, that philosophy will no longer work.
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
    Thanked by:
    GingerSnapsBack (06-06-2012)
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

I was 17 when I got my first cell phone in 1997 when I started driving. I had a 30 minute allowance each month and it was to remain turned off in my glove box unless I had a true 911 emergency like a flat tire or I just sawed off my femur. My parents got me a pager so if they needed me, they paged me.

A sort of friend of mine decided her 8 year old needed a phone and of course Kid just had to have an iPhone so Mama shells out the $ for an iPhone but decides an Otterbox is too much so she gives Kid the iPhone naked. Yeah. It lasted a week before Kid dropped it on the playground and shattered the screen.

Personally, I don't care much for kids and won't have any of my own, but if I lost my mind or met Sergio Di Zio from Flashpoint and married him and did, my kid could have a phone - whatever he or she wanted - as soon as they could pay for it. I'm not the First National Bank of Mama. I'd put the phone on my account, but the month my kid didn't pay for it was the month it got shut off for good.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    iLive an iLife likes this.
    iPhone Intermediate

Like I said in my previous post I got my 7 year old a 4s. My 10 year old also has one. Both are 32gb 4s and are the same price as a iPod touch. The data plans are a write off through my company and the ability to track my kids with find my friends and their ability to text and or contact me any time they need to is priceless to me. I wouldn't care if they cost me $200 a month. Both of my kids walk to school everyday and both are in daily activities, sports, dance, etc. that require my wife and I to leave them for several hours. It's more for our piece of mind than it is for their entertainment. In my opinion those who take issue with money being spent on their children are being a little selfish. Now if you don't have the means that is a completely different story. My children have everything they need and pretty much everything they want that we can afford and they are two of the most responsible, well mannered, grateful children I know.
    Thanked by:
    GolfnCPA (06-07-2012)
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

The earliest ive seen was at the hospital... a lady gave birth to a baby and the baby came out playing angry birds on his 4s...Insane i know!
    Banned from an Android long ago
    Thanked by:
    Trexwarrior (06-10-2012)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You can't always judge a book by its cover and here's why:

My 10 yr old dd has my old iPhone 4. She didn't start out with it though. In fact, I hadn't planned on getting her a phone until she entered junior high. However, she went out of state last summer to visit family.

We had a serious discussion about a phone and what would make her feel comfortable. She got a simple (not smart) phone and it was priceless during her trip. She was able to text, call and send pics to me whenever she wanted. It made her enjoy her trip more because she could share pics of what they were doing and I'd send her pics of our puppy because she missed him a lot.

Fast forward a few months and the home button on my iPhone 4 was only working intermittently. Apple offered a refurbished iPhone 4 to me for $99 or the iPhone 4s was $149. I chose the latter.

I googled online and found a tweak for the home button on the 4. I hooked the iPhone 4 up to dd's line so we could see if the tweak worked so I could sell it on eBay. Well, it worked and we both got comfortable with her having the iPhone 4. She'd had an iPod touch for a few years so it was nothing new to her. Whereas, she was always coming to me with her not-so-simple non-smartphone. Neither of us could ever figure it out and I'm good with technology. The problem was all the preloaded apps on there which left the phone with no memory. I had a micro SD card in there but we'd literally be transferring things to it manually daily just for her to receive a picture or text.

I found a way to take all the preloaded junk off but the program only worked on a PC. We only have Apple computers. I couldn't borrow a PC.

With all that said, she's been using the iPhone 4 since last November. The home button doesn't work sometimes but nothing like when I was using it. Voice over comes on a lot on its own too. It's very strange. So, the phone has its quirks and just like any other 10 year old, her phone is a privilege. It's the first to go if she acts up. There's also parental controls on it. The "phone" turns off at 7pm on school nights so she can't make or receive texts and calls, etc. She turns 11 in two months. The only difference in pricing was $15/mo for data. I already have unlimited texting on our plan.

I know of one other child in her grade who has an iPhone and it's because she saved her own money and bought it herself. (And we quickly found out you can't block iMessages. This wasn't a girl who should have had dd's phone number but her number had been handed out like candy at school without her permission. We changed her phone number and now only her best friend, family and family friends have her new number.)

My 7 yr old got the latest generation iPod touch for her 7th birthday. It's super fun to be able to text with her and she can facetime with family. She even has another girl in her class she can iMessage with.

So that's our story and how my dd ended up with an iPhone.

As you can see, I haven't updated my signature since. I guess I should change it.
     White iPhone 4s 32GB AT&T  Passed down Black iPhone 4 16GB AT&T on iOS 6 (home button works intermittently)  MacBook Pro 13.3" late 2011 on Mountain Lion  Passed down White MacBook 13.3" early 2008 on Snow Leopard 
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    838 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyListensToLaura View Post
    A sort of friend of mine decided her 8 year old needed a phone and of course Kid just had to have an iPhone so Mama shells out the $ for an iPhone but decides an Otterbox is too much so she gives Kid the iPhone naked. Yeah. It lasted a week before Kid dropped it on the playground and shattered the screen.
    Laura, I physically cringed when I read this. A naked iPhone, for anyway, is a problem. I'm currently enrolled in a Master's program and one of the guys in my class has a naked iPhone. At the start of the Fall semester last year, it was pristine. 8 weeks later, there was a massive chunk taken out of the glass (below the screen and to the right of the home button in a triangular shape). I have no idea how the screen didn't shatter. It looked like it was almost gouged out. Fast forward about 2 months later - all of the glass to the right of the home button and under the screen is gone. I guess it must have broken apart from normal use. My stomach still clenches whenever I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklisted View Post
    The earliest ive seen was at the hospital... a lady gave birth to a baby and the baby came out playing angry birds on his 4s...Insane i know!
    This was CLASSIC!
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast