Youngest person you've seen with an iPhone?

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
At my sons school they created an app for the school and they are allowed to use their iPhones in class if they have one because they have apple tvs in every room for airplay and stuff, the school just doesn't allow texting during school hours

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Let me start with i mean no disrespect to others who have posted. While I understand wanting your kids to have a phone to get in touch with them and text etc. I cannot comprehend why a 7 or 8 year old needs an iPhone. I don't care how responsible they are. Bottom line is they are 8. We got our kids iPod touches which allows them to play the games. These don't leave the house when they go to school. A regular phone is just fine IMO for kids that young.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I got my first phone when I was 13. I'm 25 now and that was early compared to most my age. The youngest I have seen recently is a 5 year old girl that I know who has an iPhone 4.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let me start with i mean no disrespect to others who have posted. While I understand wanting your kids to have a phone to get in touch with them and text etc. I cannot comprehend why a 7 or 8 year old needs an iPhone. I don't care how responsible they are. Bottom line is they are 8. We got our kids iPod touches which allows them to play the games. These don't leave the house when they go to school. A regular phone is just fine IMO for kids that young.

We're on the same page, my friend. My kids got mobile phones when they turned 12 and the first two were given pre-paid phones to teach them how to maintain their minutes. On the first of every month, I'd refill their minutes. They knew that if they ran out of minutes prior to the 1st of the month, they were SOL. After about 6 months, they were give mobile phones with a traditional plan. That was years ago, however.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

jodihansen

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I like to upgrade my iPhone each year, so I pass my old iPhones to my kids. My youngest has had an iPhone since she was 4, firstly a 3G & now a 3GS. My older daughter has had a few as well. She is now 10 & has an iPhone 4. The youngest uses hers on wifi & it has no sim card. For only $10 per month, the oldest has a sim with 1GB data & free txt since the family all have iPhones & she has iMessage. (This is a deal via my employer). I wasn't going to recoup enough money from selling the iPhones & then pay for each of them to get an iPod Touch, so it was actually cheaper for me to give them the iPhones. Besides, when my oldest goes to my parents place over the school holidays, she can take a sim card. She uses it to txt me that she would like to talk & I call her back when I can.
The added benefit for me is that when I get further long with my iPhone app development, I will still have the older devices for testing as well as my current device.
The iPhone also helped my youngest daughter to learn to read before she started school. I am surprised that people are quickly to judge parents who let kids have iPhones, there have been many benefits in our household.

teejaywhy

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
My kids both got phones at age 9 (they are now 11 and 17). I work and it gave me peace of mind to know that they could get in contact me if they needed to. Both have iPhone 3GS now. I have a 4S and may pass it along to my daughter (17) when the new iPhone is released. (Shhhh don't tell her!)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree with iPods and iPads for kids .. Games and educational uses .. My daughter had a iPhone 3GS no sim when she was 3 to use until I traded for a iPod 4 g now I'm going to prob either let my just under 2 year old play with the iPod for fun and I am buying my oldest a iPad 2 .. I am all for it because it has helped her read and learn in so many ways along with actual books and school of course .. But both of my kids will not get actual cells with calling plans until we feel the need for them to need that function and are responsible enough to care for them outside the house .. ( other idevice don't leave home unless on long car rides )

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

RodneyJ725

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Surprised and Not Surprised

I'm surprised that 11 year old even got a call! Most teens (or younger hahaha) tend to prefer texting over calling, not to mention having lengthy calls!

But yup, I'm really surprised how many kids have iPhones.

Hmm, now that I think more on it, it does make sense. If parents give kids "phones" and give kids iPod touches, then it would kind of make sense to just go ahead and replace the two devices with a single iPhone, especially with there being lower cost options now (like the 3GS and soon iPhone 4). I'm surprised at the 4S being purchased though (unless the family simply can afford it).

Last edited:

GolfnCPA

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
We purchased an IPhone 4 for our 12 year old daughter on her birthday. We wanted to put the technology in her hands since we believe this is the direction things are heading. She is a responsible tween with a lot of activities, and it helps us all with time management and organization of her schedule. What is amazing is that she has 4 games on it....4 she seldom plays. I looked at her phone and her calendar looks like mine....completely organized. Her reminders....fully cooked. And not nonsense. Practice times, lesson times, tournaments...

I think it depends on the child. We are amazed at how she has made this device productive for her. It's been very beneficial to us all.

Lodingi

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised that 11 year old even got a call! Most teens (or younger hahaha) tend to prefer texting over calling, not to mention having lengthy calls!

Lol. I constantly have to remind my daughters they can make phone calls with their cell phones.

Last edited:

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, now that I think more on it, it does make sense. If parents give kids "phones" and give kids iPod touches, then it would kind of make sense to just go ahead and replace the two devices with a single iPhone, especially with there being lower cost options now (like the 3GS and soon iPhone 4). I'm surprised at the 4S being purchased though (unless the family simply can afford it).

The problem with this is when the child breaks the phone its a ton more to replace unless you have insurance- so if you add the $30 data plan plus another $10 for insurance you are looking at an additional $40 a month so a 9 year old can play angry birds and text with his friends.

rikdeboer

May 21, 2012
Visit site
iphone 3G

I got a white ipod touch 4g myself, and a blackberry curve 8520(bad).
but i am just waiting for the iphone 5 to release.
but my little brother from 10 has an old iphone 3G which has been from my dad, me and my mom.

Jessicalt1

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
On one hand, I can't imagine giving an iPhone to anyone in elementary school or even younger, but I can understand why some would. However, we did give our 4 year old my husband's Evo to play with on Wifi so I guess it's the same concept. I wouldn't go out and BUY her an iPhone but if I upgraded, I could just give it to her to use at home. I wouldn't pay for a data plan or actually calling for it though. Wifi only. She has no use for a cell phone at this age, and won't until she's quite a bit older. I think I was in high school when I got my first cell phone (Nokia! changeable faceplates!!! lol) and it was to call when I got out of practice or work for a ride. Schools are starting to take out the payphones (remember those?!) and there isn't usually a phone to use after school anyway. However, most practices are consistent so I don't forsee a need for it until she's really busy lol. And that case is crazy. I don't let my 20 month old TOUCH my phone, case or not.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
My daughter is in entering junior high school (7th grade) this coming year. I just bought her an iPhone3GS for her birthday this past weekend. She's on my At&t plan and has been for a couple years. She's always had basic phones. She has been begging for an iPhone or iPod touch for 2 years now. When she graduated last month (May) she was only one of the few students who had maintained A honor roll for her WHOLE entire time in elementary school. I surprised her with an iPhone 3GS for being such a perfect student and focusing on what's important. So long story short, my daughter is 12 years old and has an iPhone 3GS. It made it real easy to get it considering At&t was only selling them for $0.99 too.

juno0218

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
My 2 y/o has an ipad

I recently purchased the new ipad, and was going to sell my ipad 2 but noticed that my 1 and a half year old (then) was entertained by the Nextflix app. I went to Brookstone and puchased an iGuy case for the ipad. I have though my son to do FaceTime and answer incoming FaceTime calls. Now when he is at the babysitter he calls me or aswers my calls. This gives me peace of mind. I have also downloaded educational apps as well as all his favorite songs. It seems he uses his iPad more than i use mine. An iphone will make a great gift as soon as he is old enough to use it.

juno0218

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
My daughter is in entering junior high school (7th grade) this coming year. I just bought her an iPhone3GS for her birthday this past weekend. She's on my At&t plan and has been for a couple years. She's always had basic phones. She has been begging for an iPhone or iPod touch for 2 years now. When she graduated last month (May) she was only one of the few students who had maintained A honor roll for her WHOLE entire time in elementary school. I surprised her with an iPhone 3GS for being such a perfect student and focusing on what's important. So long story short, my daughter is 12 years old and has an iPhone 3GS. It made it real easy to get it considering At&t was only selling them for $0.99 too.
Straight A stuent, she deserves an iPhone 4S! LOL

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711