Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 126
Like Tree29Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    ModeratorOMD's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    617 Posts
    Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

    Default Jailbroken iPhone users getting locked out of the App Store

    The number of apps saying, "This Application Does Not Support Jailbroken Devices" is on the rise. You're just browsing the app store, downloading apps from iTunes and only after you've downloaded the app, you receive this message. Skype does this.

    The most recent app being Swamp People, by A&E Television Network. I'm just going to be blunt: I strongly disagree, that developers should be doing that. It's our iPhone and we can do whatever we want with them. You don't get error messages on Windows saying "We do not support computers with dual booted systems or we do not support your modded PC."

    I think it's a very dumb decision for developers to make, because the majority of people who use iPhones have them Jailbroken, so that's them losing money and popularity (for the sake of?)

    I mean, I probably would have deleted the app after 5 minutes, but now it doesn't even get a chance. I give great reviews. Not only that, but why would they go through the effort? It's Jailbroken, which means that whatever method they're using to detect Jailbroken iPhones can be masked if need be, and if not, there are other ways to get the app.

    So, either way it works against them. I just hope that this doesn't catch on. Yes, the incentives for having a Jailbroken iPhone is so great, that it means more to me than your insignificant app.

    Again, apps that lock you out because you're Jailbroken, that is very, very stupid. There's no way the app developer could possibly understand the concept of Jailbreaking and what it means for them.

    Do you agree or disagree?
    Last edited by motoleo; 05-30-2012 at 03:24 PM.
  2. #2  
    1982ollie's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    704 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    I agree with you buddy and who knows where this will go. I've come across a couple and yes Skype is one of them, but it still runs on my phone and iPad, but with no push notifications. Like you say its there loss!
  3. #3  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,250 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,597 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default

    well this was mentioned a while back and now it is becoming a reality?..

    i am still waiting for the watermarking Apple had supposedly in the works
  4. #4  
    Heisenberg's Avatar

    Posts
    3,308 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,684 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

    Default

    For the most part, I agree that they shouldn't make apps unusable on jailbroken devices. But there are two
    issues here:

    Pirating and copyrighted material.

    I can't blame developers for being upset that their apps get pirated and people get them for free on
    jailbroken devices. This is their way of fighting back.

    Like the Time Warner app doesn't work on jailbroken devices. Because they're worried about people
    with jailbroken devices somehow copying copyrighted material and spreading it for free.

    It's a two-way street here.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    ModeratorOMD's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    617 Posts
    Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

    Default

    These days, you have to have a jailbroken iPhone if you truly want to take advantage of the device. The kinds of developers that are making these unusable apps are not real developers.

    If I had an app, I wouldn't mind it becoming pirated, that's one of the best ways to become popular.

    The war is on, it's really on.
    Last edited by motoleo; 05-30-2012 at 12:36 PM.
  6. #6  
    Heisenberg's Avatar

    Posts
    3,308 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,684 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    If I had an app, I wouldn't mind it becoming pirated, that's one of the best ways to become popular.

    The war is on, it's really on.
    Popular is one thing. But the devs are in it to make money. They lose money. Plain and simple.
    Premium1 likes this.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    ModeratorOMD's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    617 Posts
    Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forever29 View Post
    Popular is one thing. But the devs are in it to make money. They lose money. Plain and simple.
    The apps are already free. Why not make it so that after the apps are downloaded, and charge for things within the app? That way you'd be banking. And it makes more sense.

    And if they're in it for the money, well, locking out 3/4 of your users from ever seeing it at all, is a fast track on the "losing money" route.

    Now, they just made people mad for wasting their time downloading the app, when it should have been the #1 descriptor: You cannot use our app.

    What do they want us to do? Go back to using normal iPhones? Never.
    Last edited by motoleo; 05-30-2012 at 12:43 PM.
  8. #8  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,003 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,008 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post

    I think it's a very dumb decision for developers to make, because the majority of people who use iPhones have them Jailbroken, so that's them losing money and popularity (for the sake of?)
    Unfortunately, this is nowhere close to true. We jailbreakers are a vast, vast minority of total iOS users. So don't expect developers to miss us.
    Vox, BLiNK and Fausty82 like this.
  9. #9  
    1982ollie's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    704 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forever29 View Post
    For the most part, I agree that they shouldn't make apps unusable on jailbroken devices. But there are two
    issues here:

    Pirating and copyrighted material.

    I can't blame developers for being upset that their apps get pirated and people get them for free on
    jailbroken devices. This is their way of fighting back.

    Like the Time Warner app doesn't work on jailbroken devices. Because they're worried about people
    with jailbroken devices somehow copying copyrighted material and spreading it for free.

    It's a two-way street here.
    I agree with you here. But look at PC's. They are no different and loads of Microsoft software gets pirated.

    What needs to happen is stuff like installous and xsellize need to be taken out. To be honest I can't believe they get away with what they do.

    Someone please explain to me how they do get away with BLATANTLY pirating software, etc. They don't even sell it, so what is in it for them. I need educating here??
  10. #10  
    cardfan's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,981 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,605 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    The apps are already free. Why not make it so that after the apps are downloaded, and charge for things within the app? That way you'd be banking. And it makes more sense.

    And if they're in it for the money, well, locking out 3/4 of your users from ever seeing it at all, is a fast track on the "losing money" route.

    Now, they just made people mad for wasting their time downloading the app, when it should have been the #1 descriptor: You cannot use our app.

    What do they want us to do? Go back to using normal iPhones? Never.
    3/4 the users? I think you've got a poor idea of how many jailbreak their iOS devices. It's a small fraction.
    Thanked by:
    Heisenberg (05-30-2012)
    Vox, SolWgn and Fausty82 like this.
  11. #11  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    The number of apps saying, "This Application Does Not Support Jailbroken Devices" is on the rise. You're just browsing the app store, downloading apps from iTunes and only after you've downloaded the app, you recieve this message. Skype does this.

    The most recent app being Swamp People, by The History Channel. I'm just going to be blunt, I strongly disagree, that developers should be doing that. It's our iPhone and we can do whatever we want with them. You don't get error messages on Windows saying "We do not support computers with dual booted systems or we do not support your modded PC."

    I think it's a very dumb decision for developers to make, because the majority of people who use iPhones have them Jailbroken, so that's them losing money and popularity (for the sake of?)

    I mean, I probably would have deleted the app after 5 minutes, but now it doesn't even get a chance. I give great reviews. Not only that, but why would they go through the effort? It's Jailbroken, which means that whatever method they're using to detect Jailbroken iPhones can be masked if need be, and if not, there are other ways to get the app.

    So, either way it works against them. I just hope that this doesn't catch on. Yes, the incentives for having a Jailbroken iPhone is so great, that it means more to me than your insignificant app.

    Again, apps that lock you out because you're Jailbroken, that is very, very stupid. There's no way the app developer could possibly understand the concept of Jailbreaking and what it means for them.

    Do you agree or disagree?
    While I don't disagree with you position that it's your device and you are free to use it however you choose, aren't the app developers also free to do as they wish with their software?

    I would also disagree with your statement " the majority of people who use iPhones have them Jailbroken". I would doubt that even the majority on the iMore forums are jailbroken... and that discounts the millions of users who just buy the phone and "use" it...

    It does, however seem somewhat short-sighted on the part of the developers to exclude a portion of their potential customers... then again, perhaps they've encountered support issues with jailbroken phones. You have to realize that the process of jailbreaking does exploit a security vulnerability and does, in fact. replace a portion of Apple's code with new code... that said, it's possible that some apps WON'T work with a jailbroken phone...

    Just one man's opinion.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  12. #12  
    Heisenberg's Avatar

    Posts
    3,308 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,684 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    The apps are already free. Why not make it so that after the apps are downloaded, and charge for things within the app? That way you'd be banking. And it makes more sense.

    And if they're in it for the money, well, locking out 3/4 of your users from ever seeing it at all, is a fast track on the "losing money" route.

    Now, they just made people mad for wasting their time downloading the app, when it should have been the #1 descriptor: You cannot use our app.

    What do they want us to do? Go back to using normal iPhones? Never.
    Because if you have an app that's only available in the U.S. and it's free, someone can download the pirated version in another country. What if there are features within the app that only work in the U.S.? I believe that once the app is installed on the phone then you're able to write a review in the app store. People will give it a bad rating.

    You sound a bit entitled. It is your phone. You can do what you want with it. But it's the dev's app. He/she can do whatever they want with it as well. "Wasting time" downloading it is less valuable than the time a dev puts into creating an app only to have it pirated, thus taking money out of their pocket.
  13. #13  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,250 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,597 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Unfortunately, this is nowhere close to true. We jailbreakers are a vast, vast minority of total iOS users. So don't expect developers to miss us.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    3/4 the users? I think you've got a poor idea of how many jailbreak their iOS devices. It's a small fraction.
    agreed. this is just the beginning of Apples thwart before it becomes huge a problem
    Fausty82 likes this.
  14. #14  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    These days, you have to have a jailbroken iPhone if you truly want to take advantage of the device. The kinds of developers that are making these unusable apps are not real developers.

    If I had an app, I wouldn't mind it becoming pirated, that's one of the best ways to become popular.

    The war is on, it's really on.
    First of all, this statement is absolutely NOT true. It may be true for how you choose to use your phone, but generally, it is not. The vast majority of non-jb users are quite happy with their iOS experience, at least as far as I have seen/encountered.

    And the whole issue of piracy is valid. Piracy is theft... and as such is wrong, and the discussion of it is taboo here... but suffice it to say that the developer can't feed his family with "popular"...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (05-30-2012)
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
  15. #15  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    20,615 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,847 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    First of all, this statement is absolutely NOT true. It may be true for how you choose to use your phone, but generally, it is not. The vast majority of non-jb users are quite happy with their iOS experience, at least as far as I have seen/encountered.
    I am one of the many people who are content with their non-jailbroken iPhone bringing legitimacy to your statement.

    And the whole issue of piracy is valid. Piracy is theft... and as such is wrong, and the discussion of it is taboo here... but suffice it to say that the developer can't feed his family with "popular"...
    'nuf said!




    Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    Fausty82 and ThePinkChameleon like this.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    ModeratorOMD's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    617 Posts
    Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    While I don't disagree with you position that it's your device and you are free to use it however you choose, aren't the app developers also free to do as they wish with their software?

    I would also disagree with your statement " the majority of people who use iPhones have them Jailbroken". I would doubt that even the majority on the iMore forums are jailbroken... and that discounts the millions of users who just buy the phone and "use" it...
    Kind of hard to think that when Absinthe 2.0 is out!!! and 5.1.1 JailBreak Waiting Room..... topics are the hottest, most viewed, and most popular topic on this forum right now. Add to that that Absinthe 2.0 was used to jailbreak nearly one million iOS devices in a single weekend.

    A single weekend.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    First of all, this statement is absolutely NOT true. It may be true for how you choose to use your phone, but generally, it is not. The vast majority of non-jb users are quite happy with their iOS experience, at least as far as I have seen/encountered.

    And the whole issue of piracy is valid. Piracy is theft... and as such is wrong, and the discussion of it is taboo here... but suffice it to say that the developer can't feed his family with "popular"...
    Yes they can feed their family with popular, popularity is synonymous with $$$. Especially in an ecosystem like iOS. Blocking your own apps is just going to equal less money.

    Jailbreaking, however, is not synonymous with piracy. You have to look for Installous.
    Last edited by motoleo; 05-30-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    redbeard likes this.
  17. #17  
    Heisenberg's Avatar

    Posts
    3,308 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,684 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    Kind of hard to think that when the most recent Jailbreak method is the hottest, most viewed, and most popular topic on this forum right now. Add to that that Absinthe 2.0 was used to jailbreak nearly one million iOS devices in a single weekend.

    A single weekend.

    Jailbroken iPhones are as common as normal iPhones. That's why they felt the need to block their own apps.



    Yes they can feed their family with popular, popularity is synonymous with $$$ especially in an ecosystem like iOS. Blocking your own apps is just going to equal less money.
    One million is peanuts considering the number of iPhones and iPads that are purchased. You gotta do better than that.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    ModeratorOMD's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    617 Posts
    Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forever29 View Post
    One million is peanuts considering the number of iPhones and iPads that are purchased. You gotta do better than that.
    The key word is single weekend. This is just one jailbreak. There are tons of other jailbreaks. So, I would say the amount of jailbroken phones is very close to half .

    It's enough phones for it to be an issue.

    I don't always jailbreak my Apple devices, but when I do, I don't like being locked out of the app store and not having the ability to spend my 30-40 seconds with an app that I will soon delete. I like to at least have the luxury of doing that.

    Really, it's a matter of preventing this sort of thing from catching on.
  19. #19  
    Heisenberg's Avatar

    Posts
    3,308 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,684 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post

    Jailbreaking, however, is not synonymous with piracy. You have to look for Installous.
    Well, how else are you able to look for Installous? By jail breaking. I'm not wagging my finger at jailbreakers, because my devices are jail broken. I just don't pretend that piracy isn't an issue.
  20. #20  
    Heisenberg's Avatar

    Posts
    3,308 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,684 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    The key word is single weekend. This is just one jailbreak. There are tons of other jailbreaks. So, I would say the amount of jailbroken phones is very close to half .

    It's enough phones for it to be an issue.

    I don't always jailbreak my Apple devices, but when I do, I don't like being locked out of the app store and not having the ability to spend my 30-40 seconds with an app that I will soon delete. I like to at least have the luxury of doing that.

    Really, it's a matter of preventing this sort of thing from catching on.
    "...so I would say.." isn't enough, lol. You need to bring hard statistics here.
    Fausty82 likes this.
  21. #21  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    Kind of hard to think that when Absinthe 2.0 is out!!! and 5.1.1 JailBreak Waiting Room..... topics are the hottest, most viewed, and most popular topic on this forum right now. Add to that that Absinthe 2.0 was used to jailbreak nearly one million iOS devices in a single weekend.

    A single weekend.



    Yes they can feed their family with popular, popularity is synonymous with $$$. Especially in an ecosystem like iOS. Blocking your own apps is just going to equal less money.

    Jailbreaking, however, is not synonymous with piracy. You have to look for Installous.
    I won't even discuss the piracy issue any more. It's wrong. And, while not all JBers are pirates, you can't run pirated warez on an iOS device without it being JB... and I personally know a couple of folks who did JB just for the cracked (stolen) apps. I also know a large number of JBers who don't run pirated warez and feel about that subject as I do.

    However, you have still not addressed my question of whether or not the software developer is also free to do as he/she chooses with their software - i.e., block is from jailbroken devices... Yes ro no?
    Last edited by Fausty82; 05-30-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  22. #22  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    20,615 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,847 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    Kind of hard to think that when Absinthe 2.0 is out!!! and 5.1.1 JailBreak Waiting Room..... topics are the hottest, most viewed, and most popular topic on this forum right now. Add to that that Absinthe 2.0 was used to jailbreak nearly one million iOS devices in a single weekend.

    A single weekend.......(snipped)...
    You are right about jailbreaking iOS 5.1.1 being the hottest topic in the iMore forums this past weekend as well as the reported amount of devices being jailbroken during the same timeframe, however, please remember that the people who peruse this forum doesn't compare to the amount of iOS device users who do not and those that do are, more than likely, techie types like us.





    Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    ModeratorOMD's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    617 Posts
    Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    However, you have still not addressed my question of whether or not the software developer is also free to do as he/she chooses with their software - i.e., block is from jailbroken devices... Yes ro no?
    Yes. The software developers are free to lock their own apps to Jailbroken users. I would just NOT recommend it, because you don't see that often with.. anything, and I would say that the idea to do that is insane.

    But the point you made that the phone has to be Jailbroken to pirate apps is not valid. This shows just how little you know about Jailbreaking. You have just condensed it into, Jailbreak = Free Apps.

    The clue's in the title. Jailbreaking enables the user to have flexibllity and customize their iPhone to their liking. You get advantages different from a normal iPhone, such as full screen for Safari, saving battery life, fixing screen rotation issues, and not having the ability to hide Newstand, the screen rotation issues, being is inherent in normal iPhones.

    This "Installous" doesn't come with the Jailbreak, you have to actively search for where to find it. You don't just automatically have access to free apps.

    But actively trying to make Jailbreaking look bad, by saying that it's all about piracy, and locking Jailbroken devices out of the app store and penalizing people form simply trying your app simply because their device is Jailbroken is not OK.

    Most people don't know what to think about it because if they have never heard of Installous, they are going to wonder what is wrong with the developer who decided to lock out their own app to a portion of iPhone users.

    We really don't care because apps are a dime a dozen. Good developers wouldn't do something like this.
    Last edited by motoleo; 05-30-2012 at 02:14 PM.
  24. #24  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    Yes they can feed their family with popular, popularity is synonymous with $$$.
    I'd be interested in learning how.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  25. #25  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    Yes. The software developers are free to lock their own apps to Jailbroken users. I would just NOT recommend it, because you don't see that often with.. anything, and I would say that the idea to do that is insane.

    But the point you made that the phone has to be Jailbroken to pirate apps is not valid. This shows just how little you know about Jailbreaking. You have just condensed it into, Jailbreak = Free Apps.

    The clue's in the title. Jailbreaking enables the user to have flexibllity and customize their iPhone to their liking. You get advantages over other iPhone users, such as full screen for Safari, saving battery life, fixing screen rotation issues, and not having the ability to hide Newstand, the screen rotation issues, being is inherent in normal iPhones.

    This "Installous" doesn't come with the Jailbreak, you have to actively search for where to find it. You don't just automatically have access to free apps.

    But actively trying to make Jailbreaking look bad, by saying that it's all about piracy, and locking Jailbroken devices out of the app store and penalizing people form simply trying your app simply because their device is Jailbroken is not OK. Most people don't know what to think about it because if they have never heard of Installous, they are going to wonder what is wrong with the developer who decided to lock out their own app to a portion of iPhone users.

    We really don't care because apps are a dime a dozen. Good developers wouldn't do something like this.
    It's true that installous and other cracked warez repos are not a part of Cydia and that they don't come with the jailbreak process. However, it is NOT possible to access those repositories and install their contents WITHOUT being jailbroken.

    I have not tried to make jailbreaking "look bad"... I have simply pointed out that the majority of IOS users are not jailbroken, as you have stated... and that SOME of the people who jailbreak do so with the intent of finding pirated software. And jailbreaking does make the process of pirating easier... and as I said earlier, I do know several who have done the JB just for that reason.

    I also know many who have jailbroken simply for the ability to customize their device - and there is nothing wrong with that, IMO.

    Just don't come in here whining because you can't get some software from the iOS App Store because the developer has chosen (for whatever reason) to block the use of their software on a jailbroken device and start spewing comments like the half of the iOS world is jailbroken and doing so loses the developers tons of cash. I seriously believe that the developers who block JBers from using their apps are (1) within their rights to do so and (2) are aware that their resulting customer base is smaller than it could be.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions