Any way to Sync Google Contacts to iCloud?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
As the title says, this is what I'm trying to do. I came from Android and had all my contacts synced through Google. I'm ok with them there, but I'd like them all with iCloud. Especially so I can get full screen contact pictures.

Does anyone know how to do this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not that I'm aware of. You can, however, import your Google contacts to iCloud and you can sync your Google contacts with your iDevice(s) by configuring your gmail on the device(s).

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got my Google contacts synced to the phone through exchange. But how would I sync my Google contacts with iCloud?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You don't need to sync Google contacts with iCloud...

You need to set-up the iCloud email and configure it to sync contacts with your phone - but, make sure you go into the settings on your phone and turn off syncing with Google first or you could end up with duplicates.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the iCloud email set up and have it set to sync contacts. It will only sync contacts added after the original ones synced from Google. I've looked on a PC on my iCloud account and I don't see where I can do anything to get it to work.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The procedure I summarized in my previous post is explained in detail HERE. Also, as stated by kch50428, if you do not want duplicates, disable one of the contact lists. You already have your gmail contacts configured via exchange, therefore, it is easier to just use it. Your device will auto-sync with gmail with ease just as it would via iCloud if you were to transfer/import your gmail contacts over to iCloud. There is no cross-syncing of accounts to the best of my knowledge.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildo6882 and BLiNK

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I'm perfectly fine using Google for my contacts. I just want the full screen pictures. So I guess if I use the method that you posted, I could then resync all my photos and get the fullscreen pictures when people call.

joe.kinslow

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Hoping You Can Help

Just Me, D: Like the other user, my goal is to do two things:

1: Sync my Google Contacts with iCloud (or my iPhone 4s directly) AND
2: I'd like to have full screen Caller ID Images when receiving incoming calls.

Actually I've never been able to have full screen Caller ID Images and suspect it has something to do with the way my Google account is set up on my iPhone.

My Current Setup:

iCloud is set to sync: Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, and Bookmarks
Gmail (not through Exchange) is set to sync: Mail, Calendars, and Notes

What modifications should I make in order to have:

1: full syncing of Google Contacts between my Mac and my iPhone AND
2: full screen Caller ID Images

Is this something you can assist me with? Thanks.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just Me, D: Like the other user, my goal is to do two things:

1: Sync my Google Contacts with iCloud (or my iPhone 4s directly) AND
2: I'd like to have full screen Caller ID Images when receiving incoming calls.

Actually I've never been able to have full screen Caller ID Images and suspect it has something to do with the way my Google account is set up on my iPhone.

My Current Setup:

iCloud is set to sync: Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, and Bookmarks
Gmail (not through Exchange) is set to sync: Mail, Calendars, and Notes

Is this something you can assist me with? Thanks.

Joe, forgive me for just now seeing your post. I try to read every post and I don't know how I missed this one. Anyway, to try and answer your questions:

Setup Gmail via the Microsoft Exchange setup on both your iPhone and your Mac. By doing so, your mail, calendar, notes, contacts, etcetera will be in sync. Just make sure that you enable mail, calendar and contacts during setup on your iPhone.

As for your full screen contacts, I'm not sure. My contacts are full screen and always have been. Then again, imported my contacts over to iCloud and use only 1 contact list for all of my accounts.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Two ways that I know off

First disable Gmail contacts on your phone

Hook to iTunes next to summary tab you will have a option to sync contacts with iTunes select gmail enter name and password press sync on bottom right of iTunes

After its done uncheck the box that you just checked
It will ask keep contacts on phone or remove click keep
After that sync once more then remove phone

You know should have all your contacts locally on your phone still with gmail contacts on your phone off
All you do now is turn iCloud contacts on if not done so already

The other way is go to gmail site export your contacts to a file the go to www.icloud.com and import the file .. The contacts will appear on your phone as long as iCloud is on.

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So I synced my contacts to iCloud by exporting them from Gmail. However, they still show up in the little box in the corner for calls. Do I need to un-sync my Gmail contacts from my phone to get this to work? I'm a little confused by this. Thanks for any help!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I synced my contacts to iCloud by exporting them from Gmail. However, they still show up in the little box in the corner for calls. Do I need to un-sync my Gmail contacts from my phone to get this to work? I'm a little confused by this. Thanks for any help!

Yes, turn off contacts in the mail settings for gmail.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, turn off contacts in the mail settings for gmail.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Thanks. I did that, and for some reason, Google didn't copy over a few contacts. So I had to load them back in and figure out all that was skipped and manually add them to iCloud. Got it all straightened out now. Thanks for the help! Finally saw my first full screen contact. I didn't know what to do!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I did that, and for some reason, Google didn't copy over a few contacts. So I had to load them back in and figure out all that was skipped and manually add them to iCloud. Got it all straightened out now. Thanks for the help! Finally saw my first full screen contact. I didn't know what to do!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

You're very welcome. ;) I'm glad I was helpful. Take care and enjoy the rest of your evening.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

pgerrish

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Gsyncit Gmail Outlook and iCloud

I use outlook (and icloud control panel in windows) and gsyncit Fieldston Software - gSyncit - Sync Outlook and Google Calendars, Contacts, Notes and Tasks - Toodledo - Evernote to keep them all synced. Outlook basically is a conduit that keeps icloud synced to google and vice versa.

Cardfan

Use same gSyncit Outlook to Gmail etc.. Currently use the gmail contacts (via Exchange Connector) on my iPad but would like to also have them sync in iCloud which currently do not use. If I use iCloud connector and sync from Outlook to iCloud how do I avoid duplicates in iPad. Do I have to turn off contacts for iCloud or Gmail on iPad insettings or is it as simple of crossing only either iCloud or Gmail group within Contacts apps and the duplicates would only show in All contacts group?

Related subject advantage of outlook is that contact are categorised into groups e.g personal, work, tradesmen etc.. These I think sync to Gmail from Outlook via gSyncit. Is there any way to get the groups to display on iPad in either the iCloud contacts or the Gmail contacts?

Thanks

Paul

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
The way that I did this was with Outlook. I setup icloud with the icloud control panel, exported my gmail contacts to outlook. Then I selected all contacts and just dragged them into the icloud contacts on Outlook. Worked like a charm. As for the full screen contact photos I'm not 100% sure but I believe that it all has to do with how the picture is added to the contact. If it's imported from say facebook then it's just a little corner. If you actually take the picture with your phone and add it through the contact app you get full screen regardless of which service you sync with.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234