Have you ever seen someone FaceTime?

BParker4381

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
The only time I have ever seen anyone doing it is if I was. Maybe you will see more people using the feature if it becomes available over 3G.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I think it's because of people's self conscious. Unless they have some kind of filter that makes a person appear HD and blemish-free, I would be hard pressed to use it.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My family uses it all the time... my wife and I FaceTime with the grandkids... the grandkids FaceTime with each other... and we also use it to talk with our extended family that live 1500+ miles away. It's a great tool for those kind of applications... my daughter has used it more than once to show me an issue with her computer...

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I use it to talk to my mum who's in Alaska and my other mate in Arkansas (me being in australia) my bro in law who's about 15 mins away from me anyone who's got it really. If I'm at home and need to call someone I'll always go the FT call first.

Posted with my iPhone 4s through tapatalk

Khb

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I use it to talk to my dad who is well into golden years. Computers are beyond him. Hitting an icon on the screen on the iPad allows me to see his expression and how he is really doing on the other side of the country. iPad money well spent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing it's a combination of two things: a) people are indeed self-conscious about using it in public; not because of blemishes but because it feels weird to do a video call with others nearby; and b) it's also not that easy in public because you both need to be on WiFi. So you're not going to see people walking around using FT, for the most part.

(Unless they're jailbroken, of course.)

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I use it to talk with my kids while I'm away. But other than that I never use it. I can say though that I have never seen anyone use it in public though.

Synaptic Wave

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I've never used FaceTime. I'm suppose I'm just not that kind of person as I haven't Skyped, chatrouletted or something either. And the only webcams I had were a present (I believe I still have it somewhere. Still packed, probably) and the front cameras in my laptop and iDevices.

And I have never ever seen anyone use it. Maybe people prefer this kind of chatting when they're home? IDK.

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I use it quite a bit to talk to my 12 year old daughter. When she is hanging out with her friends, it confirms where she is and that she is ok. I also use it to talk to my mom who is 96 years old believe it or not. She lives about 200 miles away. I bet she is probably the "oldest" person who owns and uses an iPhone. I might add that she is pretty good at using the functions on it. She loves Siri. She calls me quite often to ask me how to do different functions with the phone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I use it occasionally to video chat with friends & family members, but because it's Wi-Fi only, it's hard to link up times when the person you want to FaceTime with will be on a Wi-Fi connection and therefore, it is easier to just call or text.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I use it occasionally to video chat with friends & family members, but because it's Wi-Fi only, it's hard to link up times when the person you want to FaceTime with will be on a Wi-Fi connection and therefore, it is easier to just call or text.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

This^^^^^^

Reactions: Just_Me_D

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I use it quite a bit to talk to my 12 year old daughter. When she is hanging out with her friends, it confirms where she is and that she is ok. I also use it to talk to my mom who is 96 years old believe it or not. She lives about 200 miles away. I bet she is probably the "oldest" person who owns and uses an iPhone. I might add that she is pretty good at using the functions on it. She loves Siri. She calls me quite often to ask me how to do different functions with the phone.

:)this is awesome - your post put a smile on my face!! Way to go Mom:D

As for facetime here in my house - no one uses it because outside of our home or my parents across the street, we're not connected to wifi. A tx or phone call works;)

As for actually seeing someone use FT, no i haven't.

Last edited:

soleobjective

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I use it all the time, but I only FaceTime at home. I wouldn't use it in public because I wouldn't want to broadcast my conversation to everyone in earshot of me.

How many people do you see walking around talking on speakerphone? :rolleyes:
Kind of the same concept :D

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't use it in public because I wouldn't want to broadcast my conversation to everyone in earshot of me.

How many people do you see walking around talking on speakerphone? :rolleyes:
Kind of the same concept :D

You could wear headphones while FaceTiming. And I see people on speakerphone all the time. :rolleyes:

But say you wanted to show someone the beautiful cities of France.. or some kind of snowy mountain side.. or a trip with your kid to the park, you really couldn't do that.

I know you could take videos of it, but it would be better to do it live. There's something holding us back from our options with Facetime, which is a very futuristic concept. From a business perspective, I guess people would do it for conferences.

Educationally, it would be useful for sharing ideas with projects or something like that.

But still, the quality and resolution has to be way up there though, better than HD.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW