Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ebedoun
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default iPhone 4s or New iPad?

Hi iMore,

I am new to this forum and found that i can get alot of helps from here about Apple stuff. I am not really sure where to put this thread in, so i put on both,

So, I am now stuck in between iPhone 4s and New iPad. I have just enough money to get either 16GB iPad or a used iPhone 16 GB 4s (already spot one with no contract in a good condition). I am a college student and do have a MBP 13" still working great. I'm still working out which option would be the best for me. I do have a blackberry and had enough with it.

With either one of these device,I would liten to music, watch music videos, light games, photo taking, social-networking, web browsing etc. I've heard some people lately have turned to iPad for taking notes, but for me personally, I would stick with pen and papers, and probably going to scan them with some of the apps available.

So, I am still questioning myslef, which one of these iDevices worth my money??

I know some of you do own both, and which do you prefer the most??

Any response would really help me out.

Thanks
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,399 Global Posts
    iOS Version

get the iPhone.... then a iPad later. Get rid of that Blackberry! I did the same when the iPhone 4 released and haven't looked back since.
    sherlock likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Get iPhone takes great pics also

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If I were you, I would definitely shoot for the iPhone first. You already have a MacBook Pro which can hold your interest till you save up more money for an iPad, and you currently have a phone you are fed up with. I say go for the phone first. Phones are more essential than tablets... Might as well have one you truly like/love.

Not having a MacBook of any sort, I shot for my 4S/New iPad combo. But, honestly, if I already had a MacBook, I very likely would've waited a little longer to get an iPad.

Sent from Sancho's Brain
    (iPhone 4S, Tapatalk)
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

I would get the iPhone 4s - hands down a no brainer imho.

It's better for pics, mobile music and just more portable. The iPads are nice to have but I consider my iPhone essential. Really the thing you mention that the iPad is going to be appreciably better at is web browsing and videos (larger screen). You can always fire up your MBP when a bigger screen is warranted.

Global Posts
    20,956 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Under the conditions you've stated, the iPhone will probably be your best bet and since you already have a MacBook Pro, the iPhone will be a smaller version of the iPad with calling capabilities so go for it.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 05-06-2012 at 10:11 AM.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iPhone Nanite

Thanks for all the reply!!!

Yes, i think i'd go with the iPhone 4s

How about reading in iPhone? pleasurable? planning to use kindle or ibooks to read too!

Global Posts
    20,956 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by hahab View Post

How about reading in iPhone? pleasurable? planning to use kindle or ibooks to read too!
    You're very welcome. In regard to reading via the iPhone, it is simple & quite pleasant, but not as pleasant as a dedicated e-ink reader, in my opinion. Also, the longer you have your backlight on, the more battery life you'll consume. Still, if you already have a Kindle or Nook then simply download the Kindle or Nook reader app and begin reading the e-books you've already purchased for it.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 05-05-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I say iPhone 4S as well. I was in the same boat as you by having a MacBook Pro 13"... What made my decision easier was that I already had a tablet... The PlayBook...

I have long been a MacBook user but passed up on the iOS devices for Blackberry's. That has now changed and I've fallen head over heals for iOS (except for the email experience which is archaic to say the least) and have since ordered The New iPad which I'm expecting next week.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

Default Plus One For iPhone

Since I also own a MBP I agree that the phone appears to be the more critical need for you..iPad can wait a little longer.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have a MacBook Pro, HTC Titan, iPod Touch, and HTC Flyer. I would definitely say get the iPhone first. I have had BlackBerry up to OS 6, and they frankly are rubbish. I would recommend the windows phone personally but I don't know if you have a Windows pc, so just stick to iPhone. I personally hhave Windows on a pc so I'm fine.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,036 Global Posts
    iOS Version

4S looks better for your needs.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have both, but in reality my 4S is more useful for obvious reasons. As stated earlier, I would go 4S first, iPad second.
    iPhone 5
    iPad Mini
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by hahab View Post

Well for reading the iPad is definitely more pleasurable. It is one of the things it does best. For me reading on my phone is not something I do a lot so it doesn't enter into my previous recommendation.

If I were you I'd still get the iPhone first and save up for the iPad. Personally I'd pass on the kindle.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
    iPhone Newbie

I'll prefer iphone 4s!!!!
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    iOS Version

iPhone.

I recently sold my "new iPad" to buy a macbook air. Now i'm just waiting on Ivy bridge updated version to buy one
    iPhone Nanite

go with the iphone