Considering exchanging iphone 4 for 32 gb from 16

IcyCool7227

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I would like some opinions. I bought a new iphone and thought 16 gb was enough but I'm having second thoughts. I am not planning to use it for text messaging or music storage (have an iPod for that). I plan to do some light picture taking and radio listening while I work out. But there are lots of stations I like that are individual apps themselves thereby taking up space. I would like to play some games on it but am not sure of all of them out there yet. Do the games take up a lot of space? I don't plan on saving TV shows or movies to the phone.

I am still within the exchange period with AT&T but the cost is an extra $100. Is it worth it to have that extra space with what I need?

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a 32 gb 4S and that fills up fast. I haven't had a 16gb iPhone since the iPhone 3GS. Apps are becoming larger, cameras are improving so picture space is shrinking and I always say I won't use my phone as a iPod but I always end up with the newest and my favorite music on it. Just some things to consider. Plus with taking photos there are the apps for photography and what not, so that's extra stuff too that you may become interested in. If you plan on having it for 2 years, upgrade the same. If not, don't worry.

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Pictures, videos, and music take up a lot of space quickly. I haven't seen too many apps that are very large, except for graphics-heavy games like first person shooters. I have a 32g 4s and only keep my most listened to songs on it, keeping my Music down to around 5gb. Pictures are another 5gb as I don't sync all my photos to the phone. I still have over 12gb free.

mab4285

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I thought I needed a 32GB iphone. With the advent of iTunes Match, I simply subscribed to the service and am actually regretting spending the extra $100 on a 32GB phone.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
i got a 64GB ipod 4 for my music so i dont keep any on my phone. but i personally felt 16GB was too small, as i like to use my phone for pics. i figured at full resolution, and using alot of apps, 16GB would fill up quick. especially if you take videos. for me, 32GB is much better to have in case. its just sad that apple doesnt allow removable storage so your locked in at one size. kinda sucks.

david.e.crocker@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I would like some opinions. I bought a new iphone and thought 16 gb was enough but I'm having second thoughts. I am not planning to use it for text messaging or music storage (have an iPod for that). I plan to do some light picture taking and radio listening while I work out. But there are lots of stations I like that are individual apps themselves thereby taking up space. I would like to play some games on it but am not sure of all of them out there yet. Do the games take up a lot of space? I don't plan on saving TV shows or movies to the phone.

I am still within the exchange period with AT&T but the cost is an extra $100. Is it worth it to have that extra space with what I need?
I got a 32gig on launch day, then went back to Android (Epic 4G Touch, nice phone, great camera), and now back on an iPhone 4S, but it's a 16 gig.....got a flawless one that was a week old for a song. Couldn't pass it up.

That said, I use DropBox for all my picture storage from the phone prior to moving it to my NAS drive. I take a TON of pictures so at the end of the day I move my pictures to DropBox then from there I manage them.

I also just downloaded Cloud Photos....and it looks promising. It automatically uploads my photos to my DropBox account but keeps a thumbnail image for me, and that thumbnail only takes up 1/40th of the space as the normal image...so I can fire away with pictures. Granted, you need a data connection and I have unlimited data so that's not a worry for me, but it looks to be a GREAT solution for the picture taker in me. My last phone had over 1,000 pictures removed from it when I sold it (and that doesn't account for the ones I pulled off previously), so this new app is exciting.

Apps take memory, especially high end games. I used to keep a bunch of music on my phones and now I've come to realize that I don't have to do that (while nice, not necessary).

If you can manage your control and move your files around you can manage. I have a 'Cloud' folder on my phone that consists of DropBox, OneNote, EverNote andSkyDrive.....and that's A LOT of cloud storage. Also consider there are apps like GoodReader that will manage your cloud apps as well.

But honestly, the additional $100....if it doesn't financially hurt you, do it. You can't after your 30 days.

So with that said, does the smaller drive improve battery life? I have noticed that my 16 gig gets better battery life than the 32 gig did.

MRSBROWN2006

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Better Safe Than Sorry?

I will be switching to iphones this summer and imo, go with the 32gb. Better to have extra space unused than to run out and have to delete stuff or purchase another phone with more memory.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I take a lot of pics and video. Takes a lot of room. I have several 1GB size apps. I only ave 9 GB's available on my 64GB. Get the 32 now before it's too late.

DV26

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I recommend the 32gb. I currently have a 16gb and I always find myself deleting apps, pictures, movies and music just to free up some space. I am regretting the purchase of the 16gb :-(.

bbui4

May 1, 2010
Visit site
It depends on how you store everything. I don't think you will have problems with space if you are only using apps. The space killers will be your media like movies, music, and videos. I would highly recommend the free storage options from Amazon, skydrive, Dropbox, and Box.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
After going from a 16GB ipad1 to a 32GB ipad3, I wish now I would have invested and gotten the 32GB 4S now instead of the 16. My 4S is crowded with all the music.

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Games took up most of the space on my 16GB iPad 1. I couldn't download updates once I ran out of space. That's what finally convinced my to upgrade. I got the 64GB New iPad to be safe. I got a 32 GB 4s too and have 7GB free. 32 is definitely the minimum nowadays.

BParker4381

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I had a iPhone 4 16GB version and had to update my phone to get more memory. I went with the 32GB iPhone 4S. The main reason I did this was for the memory. With apps, music, podcasts and pictures, I had only 1 GB remaining. Had to bite the bullet and update.

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I've only been on Apple products since last November, so I can't even imagine how bad this problem was before iCloud allowed you to easily delete and re-download purchased apps, music, movies, etc. Nevertheless, storage on the 16GB device IS a big problem.

It's almost criminal that they market an entry level phone to people under the impression they'll be able to store libraries of music and movies on it. You get about 13 GB of usable space out of the box. A single HD movie is about 3-5 GB. So basically one or two of those on the phone, plus some apps and pictures, and you're done.

There are apps that I've purchased and don't use, and other apps that I would absolutely like to have but don't even bother with for no reason besides the file size. Games like FIFA 12 and Infinity Blade are about 1.3 GB. You can basically have one game like that on your phone, if you plan to carry all the other apps people normally carry.

As for music, iTunes Match is one option, but I use a Google Music app. Free storage of up to 20,000 songs online, and the gMusic app allows you to download and save a few albums for offline use. With 256kbps MP3's, you're looking at about 100 MB of space per album, which would fill up pretty darn fast.

I guess the only part of it that baffles me is that they have a 160 GB iPod Classic that's about 6-year old technology now, and the price of flash memory has come WAY down in the past few years. But we're still stuck at these low storage sizes while the size and quality of media and apps continues to increase.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I've only been on Apple products since last November, so I can't even imagine how bad this problem was before iCloud allowed you to easily delete and re-download purchased apps, music, movies, etc. Nevertheless, storage on the 16GB device IS a big problem.

It's almost criminal that they market an entry level phone to people under the impression they'll be able to store libraries of music and movies on it. You get about 13 GB of usable space out of the box. A single HD movie is about 3-5 GB. So basically one or two of those on the phone, plus some apps and pictures, and you're done.

There are apps that I've purchased and don't use, and other apps that I would absolutely like to have but don't even bother with for no reason besides the file size. Games like FIFA 12 and Infinity Blade are about 1.3 GB. You can basically have one game like that on your phone, if you plan to carry all the other apps people normally carry.

As for music, iTunes Match is one option, but I use a Google Music app. Free storage of up to 20,000 songs online, and the gMusic app allows you to download and save a few albums for offline use. With 256kbps MP3's, you're looking at about 100 MB of space per album, which would fill up pretty darn fast.

I guess the only part of it that baffles me is that they have a 160 GB iPod Classic that's about 6-year old technology now, and the price of flash memory has come WAY down in the past few years. But we're still stuck at these low storage sizes while the size and quality of media and apps continues to increase.

I have 16 on my phone has always been ok for me but I went 64 on my iPad and I'm so glad I did .. But I do agree they should make a 32 entry level and go up to atleast 100 gig or 160 .. I can't wait to get a 250 gig iPad lol

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2