Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Transfer photos from iphone 4s to PC

I plug my iphone 4s into my PC which is not an Apple product and can see the phone in Windows Explorer, I can see the DCIM folder, but I can not see any photos or anything else. I have plugged older versions of the iphone up and had no issues moving photos and movies over to my PC. Do I need to have additional software to see and move the photos to my PC? Thanks for any help you can offer.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

You can view and move photos in your DCIM folder from your pc as always. Photos that you put on your iPhone by syncing with iTunes can only be removed by "un"syncing them and they're already on your pc so there's no need to view them through your iPhone.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,166 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    You can view and move photos in your DCIM folder from your pc as always. Photos that you put on your iPhone by syncing with iTunes can only be removed by "un"syncing them and they're already on your pc so there's no need to view them through your iPhone.
    Alli... I believe that if you read the title of the OPs post, they wantto know as example if you took a photo with your 4S and it was on the camera roll and you wanted to MOVE that PHOTO or PHOTOS to your PC, not the other way around, If I am wrong please excuse me but that is what I am reading,

Thank you,
    Jan
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    The problem is I can see the DCIM folder but I can't see anything in it. Thanks
    DZD
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by t-bone1 View Post
    The problem is I can see the DCIM folder but I can't see anything in it. Thanks
    Two questions - 1) First confirm that you have pictures in Camera Roll not just Photo Stream (just want to be sure). 2) If you do, in Windows you can right click on your iPhone (along the left side where other "drives" are listed and you should be able to use the Import Photos option. I use this instead of sycning.

One last option - I recently enabled Photo Stream on my iPhone and downloaded the iCloud control panel to my home PC and work PC - this works beautifully - now all I have to do is copy photos from the photo stream folder to a permanent folder on my PC.

Hope this helps.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Then I don't understand what the problem is. I can plug my iPhone into my pc and drag all my photos and videos out of my DCIM subfolders all day long. I've done it several times this week after taking photos/videos of my students so that I could show them.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1/5.11

tracy08 is right. Just wait for the AutoPlay popup to come up and select Import. This works with WinXP as well as Vista and 7. Plus after selecting the photos it gives you the option to delete from the phone as well.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Transfer photos from iphone 4s to PC

iCloud is your friend.

I love it.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,540 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Unlock your iPhone while it's connected to your PC and you should be able to see the photos in the DCIM folder then.
    tracy08 likes this.
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    Unlock your iPhone while it's connected to your PC and you should be able to see the photos in the DCIM folder then.
    I completely agree with him. Just enter the passcode, no need to do anything else.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    Correct! Easy and safe. No other transferring tool needed.
    iPhone Nanite

I have exactly the same problem. I cannot see any files in the DCIM folder of my iphone (Firmware version 5.1). When plugged in to the PC, and using Windows Explorer, under properties it says 0 folders, 0 files!!
    (I have an Android phone and can easily move photos from it to my PC, so I know how to do it normally).
    I have tried the import photos and videos option that pops up when connecting the iphone but Windows simply says that there are no new images to transfer.

So, we need someone who knows about iphones. Maybe :
    1) is it possible that the iphone has put my photos and videos somewhere else on the iphone? If so, how do I move them to DCIM folder?
    2) is it possible that the photos are not in any format that windows recognises - in which case, what can I do?

I am loathe to download any apps that purport to do this job because I'd expect them to fail for exactly the same reasons - no files found.
    iPhone Nanite

Same problem here -- unlocking iPhone DOES NOT make a difference; nothing shows in the DCIM folder and all attempts to import get "No new pictures or videos were found on this device."
    iPhone Nanite

EUREKA!! Just by chance, I tried unlocking my iPhone BEFORE connecting it to my PC and everything works as it should; images are visible in the folder, etc.
    Thanked by:
    Philipp Sadler (04-06-2013)
    Philipp Sadler likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,248 Global Posts

Transfer photos from iphone 4s to PC-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1363330066.648756.jpg
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,166 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by DZD View Post
    Two questions - 1) First confirm that you have pictures in Camera Roll not just Photo Stream (just want to be sure). 2) If you do, in Windows you can right click on your iPhone (along the left side where other "drives" are listed and you should be able to use the Import Photos option. I use this instead of sycning.

One last option - I recently enabled Photo Stream on my iPhone and downloaded the iCloud control panel to my home PC and work PC - this works beautifully - now all I have to do is copy photos from the photo stream folder to a permanent folder on my PC.

Hope this helps.
    I also use the 2nd option you mention here. I lok into my iCloud control panel on my PC and check photostream, make sure WIFI is on, open my photo app if I have taken pics and they sync in seconds to my PC in the photostream folder created on my PC. Very easy.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iPhone Nanite

You will need to have a cable to connect your iPhone to PC.
    Connect iPhone to PC via USB -> Import image -> Right-click on the iPhone icon -> Select photos from Carera Roll ... Ok. Wish you success.
    ---------------
    My name is Linda
    Hobbies: listen to music and play games
    My Blog: Y8 - Y8 Games - Y8.com | Juegos Yepi Friv
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by t-bone1 View Post
    I plug my iphone 4s into my PC which is not an Apple product and can see the phone in Windows Explorer, I can see the DCIM folder, but I can not see any photos or anything else. I have plugged older versions of the iphone up and had no issues moving photos and movies over to my PC. Do I need to have additional software to see and move the photos to my PC? Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Oh you dont need any softwares, just your cable. plug it to your phone and pc then copy paste your photos to your pc. That's it
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeeBoi View Post
    EUREKA!! Just by chance, I tried unlocking my iPhone BEFORE connecting it to my PC and everything works as it should; images are visible in the folder, etc.
    That's the trick! Share it with the world ; )
    iPhone Nanite

I use the approach shown in this video on YouTube to transfer photos:

iPhone Nanite

Yes, that works and no need to uninstall/reinstall anything to see the DCIM folder. However, unlock your phone with the passcode before you connect it with the USB cable to your PC. My iPhone won't show up if I connect if first and then unlock it. It will still be accessible even when the phone reverts back to the locked mode. I can always see PhotoStream listed under My Computer and access it because of iCloud.

--iPhone 4S/iPad 2 wifi only/Win8 Pro PC
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Alternatively, you can try using dropbox to upload your photos, then access them directly from your PC?
    iPhone Nanite

OMG! i wasted one hour to figure out how to copy DCIM iphone 4s photos to windows 8 based laptop...and the simple trick is unlock the phone before connecting..Thats it !!!
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by abazigal View Post
    Alternatively, you can try using dropbox to upload your photos, then access them directly from your PC?
    I installed Dropbox after reading your reply and that works great across all of my devices and PC. Thanks...
    iPhone Nanite

Can't find copy/pasted photos! I plugged iPhone 4S in to pc and the Autoplay option never came up (probably because I did not unlock device). So I opened up the iPhone through Windows Explorer and copy/pasted photos onto pc as a backup. Afterwards, I deleted the photos thinking they were all on my pc now since the transfer popup showed and said I had an hour remaining, etc. Went to check on the PC afterwards and a lot of the photos were not there! Any ideas??? Google searched and looks like there is no way to recover deleted iPhone photos (I don't have a recent backup either). Wonder where most of my photos went??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast