iPhone 4S six months later?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
So the iPhone was launched 6 months ago today -- how's it holding up to you? Are you still happy with your purchase? Is it still competitive with the newer phones on the market today?

If a friend, family member, or colleague asked you for a recommendation, would you tell the to get an iPhone 4S? Save some money and get an iPhone 4? Get an Android or Windows Phone or BlackBerry device instead? Or wait for the next generation iPhone in another 6 months or so?

What's your iPhone 4S review, 6 months later?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So the iPhone was launched 6 months ago today -- how's it holding up to you?
Mine still look as new as the day i purchased it (October 29th).
Are you still happy with your purchase?
Very much so.
Is it still competitive with the newer phones on the market today?
I think it is and unless I'm mistaken, the iPhone 4S is still selling quite well.

If a friend, family member, or colleague asked you for a recommendation, would you tell the to get an iPhone 4S? Save some money and get an iPhone 4? Get an Android or Windows Phone or BlackBerry device instead? Or wait for the next generation iPhone in another 6 months or so?

I would have no problem telling them to purchase an iPhone, but if he or she already have an iPhone 4, I would advise them to not upgrade at this point and wait to see what the next iPhone will be like. In summary, the iPhone 4S is a very capable, easy to use and professional looking device that I am glad to have purchased.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

Last edited:

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
All I can say is that the iPhone 4S is so much more than I expected.
Still reasonably priced.
Easy to use.
Easy to sync all of my Google contacts, calendar and of course Gmail.
FaceTime
Great camera and a beautiful device.
Good Luck

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
So the iPhone was launched 6 months ago today -- how's it holding up to you? Are you still happy with your purchase?
absolutely !! I got my 4S Nov.4th, and my 5th mth with it just passed - love it as much as day one:)
From what i can see happening here where i live, everyone and their grandmother has an iPhone these days. I do still see androids, very very few bb's. I'd say the iPhone is still doing well in the competitive department;)

I would recommend the iPhone, but I would also ask them what their priority needs they would want out of a device before i try bending their arm to buy an iPhone. Lets face it, the iPhone doesnt fit everyone's needs in cellular tech, BUT i would try to compare what they may need and see if the iPhone can deliver for them:)

I'm very happy I switched from a bb to the 4S - it fits what I like to have in a cell phone as far as media, photo, phone, tx/imsg and online capabilities, and the couple of games i like to play once in a while !! :D

greasemuntney

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I for one oped out of the 4S upgrade and waiting for the next generation iPhone. I am still very pleased with my i4 and until something new comes out I am going to wait. But everyone I know that has the i4S is VERY pleased with it. Apple builds great products.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Six months, really where did the time go... I all honesty if someone said they wanted a phone and just a phone and they don't play games or care about a camera I would not recommend the iPhone, why all the extras and they don't need a data plan.

The iPhone is good for a few different types, but basically I see my generic three. The Apple Fan, the Business User and the Social & Game user.

I am an Apple fan for all the iOS devices. I also like the Apple systems, but I have been on computers since the early 80s and started on non-apple and worked on the HP 3000 MPE/iX Minicomputers so Apple was not the logical move at that point.

I would even consider switching to Apple if not for the cost of the equipment and what I would have to pay for all the software again.

Back to the iPhone.

I skipped the original iPhone and waited until the iPhone 3 to get one, then the 4 and now the 4S. I also have 2 iPads.

I was very happy with the iPhone 4 and I did not have the antennae issue others had. The 4 was a 16 GB on AT&T and worked fine. I had plenty of space available. I was not even considering upgrading until I knew that Siri would not be available on the iPhone 4. So I ordered early and was mine was delivered on the 1st day. 32GB iPhone 4S Black AT&T.

It was everything I expected and more. Siri works for me very well on most occasions. I make appointments, phone calls, set reminders and look up items. I do use it for notes and some dictation.

I have games loaded, but I am not a game player. Maybe when in a waiting room or whatever, so the extra gaming power does not make me drool.

I do use the iPhone 4S for business use and for that it is amazing. The screen is clear and easy to read for my aging eyes. I can use the phone as an adhoc scanner and it works very well. iMessage makes life easier as I don't have an unlimited text plan (more iOS 5 than iPhone) but w/o Siri I would not text at all.

I do find now I don't use my 12MP Digital camera at all and rely on the iPhone on a regular basis

So very long story short, I am very impressed with the iPhone 4S. For anyone into gaming, or work applications, or photography or a solid system that works w/o question the iPhone 4S is an amazing choice.

I keep hearing "Why get the iPhone 4S" when the new iPhone 5 will be out in the fall. To be perfectly honest unless the iPhone 5 has something unbelievable that I can't live without I cannot even imagine why I would need to upgrade.

I don't want a larger phone, I have small hands. I don't want a different design as I don't want to start over with cases. I don't want a different way to charge as I have a ton invested into base chargers including investments on Kickstarter. I don't need a faster phone, I don't need a better camera, I don't need more power or space.

The iPhone 4S is the device us tech junkies were dreaming about when we were kids. Puts Dick Tracy's gadgets to shame. Now if it had a death laser, it may compete with James Bond, but that is for another story!

mcmillan27

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I was a die hard BlackBerry user and was really hoping for something good to be announced with BlackBerry 10. I was using a Torch 9800 running BB6. When the iPhone 4S was announced I decided to get my wife (who was quite content with her Bold 9700) and I a pair of iPhones. The BlackBerry 10 announcement hadn't happened yet at the time, but I decided to take my chances. Good thing I did.

Anything I've heard about the BB 10 so far just isn't cutting it for me. And now, I am extremely happy with the 4S and my wife loves her iPhone 4. I use it every day and as a photography nut, the camera is amazing. The display is brilliant. The device itself is sleek, smooth, nice to hold, and despite what some people are saying about screen size, its perfect the way it is. When I'm not working, I prefer to carry it without a case.

I think the 4S is still very competitive in today's market. The speed of the A5 chip rarely leaves me waiting for anything. If someone asks me what kind of phone to get I generally ask them what they like to do with a phone. If they like to take pictures or videos, I show them what the 4S can do. If their life centres around Google and its products, I suggest an Android device, but I let them know about the 55 or so hardware devices running the Android OS and (in my opinion) how buggy it can be. I also inform them of Apple's "closed ecosystem" which I've never really been a fan of, but like Bla1ze once told me, "at least they have an ecosystem".

I must admit, I've really come to appreciate Apple, their products, and the ecosystem. There's a reason they're the most valuable company in the world. So, how do I like the iPhone 4S six months later? I... love...it.

Memory Hive

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I really like it and recommend it.

The one thing that has been disappointing for me is Siri. I really don't use it as I found it pretty slow and inaccurate. I think I had better luck with the 3 voice commands for things like finding contacts and phone numbers. A tough nut to crack, but I was hoping for more there.

I still recommend it. I've recommended my wife get it. She's on the bb right now.

I've already recommended my wife get it. She's on the bb right now.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't really use siri, just a gimmick. The 4S has a few very minor nicks and a couple of light scratches only visible in a certain angle and lighting. I don't use a case. Overall I am very happy. Moving from Infineon to Qualcomm certainly helped network reliability.

Last edited:

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
If someone was coming from android or something else, I'd say get the iPhone 4S. Unless they buy a used iPhone without upgrading their contract; in that case I'd say get the iPhone 4. I'm sure they'd rather use the upgrade for the 6th iPhone. I love my 4S camera but I mean, that's all the difference I see. I don't use Siri, she pisses me off and I don't have use for her. Lol

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 4S in my opinion is still the best mobile device out to date (that I've used). Nothing even comes close to it in terms of usability--let alone the sheer beauty of the device. I do think; however, that the HTC One X is going to give the 4S a run for its money. At the same time though, its slightly an unfair comparison for the two devices. The latest iPhone was launched in October of last year, then the HTC One X is literally fresh from the factory.

After six months I can still say that I'm highly satisfied with the phone. I was looking towards a GSM Galaxy Nexus for a while, but once I saw an announcement about the One X, I was more interested in that. I'm probably going to pick up a One X on AT&T once its released--but after about a week of use, I'll most likely be reaching for my iPhone yet again. It simply works.

nat750

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Love my 4s the only other phone out there now that I would have is the iPhone 4 & the only phone I really want is the iPhone 5. Simple as that.

jaIOS4s

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Happy bout my Iphone 4s

Im still very happy about my Iphone 4s but the one thing I need is a jailbreak to get my phone back to where it was before I upgraded to 5.1...I had so much on my phone with my jailbreak and now its not the same,if you know of a jailbreak please let us know

kshen1

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I still love my iPhone even though I desperately crave for a jailbreak.

No other phone I'd want right now except the next gen iPhone :)

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I really like it except for one thing. I'm having an intermittent wifi problem with where I live. My apartment building has free wifi and my Roku and laptops have little issue with it. The iPhone, however, does whatever it likes connection-wise. Sometimes awesome, sometimes non-functional. No pattern I can discern. I blew it off for awhile but I've been trying hard to fix this for a few days and I'm close to giving up.

Other than that, the phone is great.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I really like it except for one thing. I'm having an intermittent wifi problem with where I live. My apartment building has free wifi and my Roku and laptops have little issue with it. The iPhone, however, does whatever it likes connection-wise. Sometimes awesome, sometimes non-functional. No pattern I can discern. I blew it off for awhile but I've been trying hard to fix this for a few days and I'm close to giving up.

Other than that, the phone is great.

Try renewing the lease on your connection. To do so, go to:

Settings - Wi-Fi and then select the blue & white button at the end of the Wi-Fi network you're connected to. Afterwards, scroll down and select 'Renew Lease".

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Screen clarity - Nobody can touch it
Camera - Nobody can touch it
Battery life - No Android can touch it
Processor - Not the best but not the worst
Siri - Is my best friend. Use it a ton.
Gaming experiece - Nobody can touch it

Yes I would still recommend it. It just works.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm happy with it. I went from a 4 to a 4S at the end of December and have the same satisfaction. I used a 4 for about 16 months. As soon as I started with the 4S I felt a difference in speed right away due to the A5. Camera works great. The screen is just beautiful. AND I no longer have to worry about the antenna issue when I'm in a weak signal area. I'm surprised this doesn't come up more for those using the phone on GSM. It wasn't that big an issue on the 4 as it was made out to be. But, it was an issue. It's non-existent on the 4S now.

DougFNJ

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So the iPhone was launched 6 months ago today -- how's it holding up to you?

I always keep it in its shell, and belt case....Like New.

Are you still happy with your purchase?

This is the first phone I have owned that has not left me wanting for something more.

This is the first time I haven't found myself getting bored or frustrated with a phone, I haven't found any reason to look elsewhere.

If a friend, family member, or colleague asked you for a recommendation, would you tell them to get an iPhone 4S? Save some money and get an iPhone 4? Get an Android or Windows Phone or BlackBerry device instead? Or wait for the next generation iPhone in another 6 months or so?

I ave successfully converted my Wife, and a number of good friends over the iPhone. as far as which one? I would always suggest the latest and greatest, but if on a budget....I definitely suggest the 4

I LOVE this phone!. The main feature I wanted above all was the 64GB. I got that and so much more. There was definitely a noticeable speed improvement. On my honeymoon last week, I found I could leave my camera on the ship on certain trips, and I was just as happy to use my iPhone as a great miniature camera that takes excellent shots. The HD video recording is a big bonus too.

Here is something I really enjoyed though. My wife and I took a cruise. We kept the iPhones in Airplane mode and bought 150 minutes of WiFi on the Ship that could be used at various spots. This allowed us to Facetime with the kids, imessage friends and family, and not pay a penny of Cellular Voice or Data roaming.

The 64GB hold my very large music collection and some videos. The speed is just fine using Verizon, and blazes on Wifi. I have also found Siri to be handy on the road, particularly when dialing or a quick text while driving.

As mentioned in the questions. This is the first phone I have had that I feel is as perfect as I could get.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711