Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    five.0.one

Default don't lie to me, it has to be covered

You know, as good looking as the 4s is, too bad this thing can't be left without a case or screen protector. I've had it covered in an otterbox and screen cover since day one. I was staring at it one day and decided to take the cover off and let the retina screen shine and after about two days there was a small nick on it. Kinda weak for the simple fact that every ad i see this device its naked, but that's a lie you really cant have this phone naked, it has to be covered.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    iOS Version

do you have insurance through your carrier/asurion, applecare, 3rdparty....ETC..?

and where is the damage? front glass, back glass, metal band...ETC?
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Mine is naked most of the time... and the rest of the time, I use a CaseMate Barely There case with NO screen protection... my iPhone4 was perfect when I gave it to my daughter last October... my iPhone 4S is still perfect...

It CAN be done...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    937 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Actually, it all depends on self maintenance and also luck. I know my gf is pretty careful with these things and recently she accidentally dropped her phone. What I am trying to say is if you want to put sp or case, good! If not, you are still fine but it increases the risk. Self preference mostly. I cover my ip4s with mophie juice pack plus and momax matte sp.
    Follow me on:
    Feed Burner
    Facebook
    Google Plus
    Twitter

The Big Fat Reality Blog - The Best Technology Blog Out There

Evolution:
    Samsung Omnia 1 > BlackBerry 9700 > Samsung Galaxy S II > iPhone 4S

Current device:
    iPhone 4 S 16 gb Black (iOS 5.1)

Previous device (using by my fiancee):
    Samsung Galaxy S II (non G)
    CheckRom v6
    Kernel: Red Pill v1.3
    Thunderbolt Tweaks
    Extreme Undervolting via Voltage Control
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Mine is almost never in a case, and it still looks brand new, although it's only about 2 months old for me.
    iPhone 4S ~ 32GB ~ Verizon
    Twitter

All I use is a screen protector, mainly because of fingerprints. When I use a case it's my juice pack.

iPhone.
    iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB - 2014 Mac Book Air

Got a question:
    New to the Forums:
    How we work around here:
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,092 Global Posts
    iOS Version

i've also had mine cased since the second i had it activated at VzW before walking out of the store back in Nov2011. I'm VERY careful with my electronics, BUT theres always a slim chance of it slipping out of your hand or loosing grip by accident. I think i'd die if mine was naked and i accidentally dropped it and shattered -- even tho i am insured !!

The last ph i used before going to iPhone was a Bold9650, and it being a more durable phone-i've always had it covered too - out of the year i had it, i did accidentally drop it once, so even being as careful as possible, it can still happen.

I choose to keep mine covered 24/7/365 - i'm just not as brave as some of you guys/gals here
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*
    Thanked by:
    AJ_Watson (04-09-2012)
    hunoosh likes this.
    iPhone Beginner

Every iphone 4 in our household is marred in some fashion, be it a nick in the glass (front and back) or scraps on the side bands..

Mine and my wife's are both well cared for. with screen protectors and cases, only have spent minimal time Au-natural in their birthday suites.

It is a beautiful device, but it is in fact only glass, we knew the inherent risks when we chose them and accepted them.. I don't regret my choice, but it still kind of stinks.
    Semper Fidelis my fellow "Teufel Hunden"
    1/9 Ooh Rah
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

I don't think the iPhone has to be covered up or that you were "lied" to. Apple never said the iPhone has to be covered up. IMHO it's a matter of personal choice as to covering it up or not. I've seen iPhones after one year that were never covered up and yet they still look like new. I've also seen ones that looked like they've been though the war, lol. That said, I prefer the peace of mind that comes with keeping a screen protector and Speck case on my iPhones.

Sent from my iPad 4G using Tapatalk HD.

Global Posts
    2,036 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It depends on you because mine is mostly naked and everyone I know keeps theirs that way.
    64GB iPhone 6 32GB iPhone 5S 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,609 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

i am more "uncovered" than i am covered. currently using an Otterbox Commuter while at work (Construction Industry) but the minute i am going home until the next morning, and weekends, i am completely uncovered (with the exception of screen protectors on both sides)

like sort of mentioned already, when you have a device without a case you are in a different state of mind.. "Super-Aware" if you will. there are certain things you will do or not do while not using a case. for example; i will not check emails, texts, notifications etc.. as soon as i receive them. i do it at my own discretion. this equates to a lower amount of times i will be removing the device from my pocket which decreases the chances of something happening

most of my friends that work in office have no case or screen protectors and i have yet to hear of any horror stories. does that mean they have been lucky? no, more likely they have been super-aware. of course i have some friends that do it knowing that worse case scenario they will just buy a new one outright

this is just like anything else; if you have something nice and want to keep it that way then you are going to protect it. does not mean you have to. plain & simple
    Last edited by BLiNK; 04-09-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by ricbon View Post
    You know, as good looking as the 4s is, too bad this thing can't be left without a case or screen protector. I've had it covered in an otterbox and screen cover since day one. I was staring at it one day and decided to take the cover off and let the retina screen shine and after about two days there was a small nick on it. Kinda weak for the simple fact that every ad i see this device its naked, but that's a lie you really cant have this phone naked, it has to be covered.
    I put mine in a pouch case when not in use. No other protection at all since release day. Not a mark or scratch on it. Fact is it is a sturdy phone but you still have to be careful with it.
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 04-09-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    Thanked by:
    cctpitts01 (04-19-2012)
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    i've also had mine cased since the second i had it activated at VzW before walking out of the store back in Nov2011.
    I had my case ordered before I had the phone in hand. I wasn't about to take a chance with a phone I just shelled out over $700 for. I bought mine off contract to get away from my God-awful Storm2.

The ONLY time I use my phone without a case is when I dock it on my iHome. Then I have the iHome and the phone in the middle of my couch and have the surrounding areas covered in towels so if one of my cats knock the phone off the charger, it doesn't go far. I just wish I could find a case that offers the protection of an Otterbox and still be able to dock.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

I found myself some skins that are mock carbon fiber with a screen protector and topped it off with a sweet Oakley O-Matter case that has slats in it. Yeah, if a person wanted to show their phone off naked its possible OR there are some really cool case/skin combos if you let your imagination work. I always get asked what phone I have BTW cuz it's sweet looking lol.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts

Enjoy your phone why pay for this beauty to cover it!
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by ricbon View Post
    yep you're right

the day I put the iPhone in the same pocket as my keys it had a nick on it
    edd
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Yeah, if you put the phone in your pocket with a set of keys or something it seems like dumb luck to not mark it up somehow eventually.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,609 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

i have been putting my iPhone(s) in my pocket for a long time. never had an issue with keys or anything. i designate a pocket for my phone ONLY
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,092 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    i have been putting my iPhone(s) in my pocket for a long time. never had an issue with keys or anything. i designate a pocket for my phone ONLY
    even with my phone covered/cased, if i decide to put it in one of my pockets by chance, i also make sure nothing else is in my pocket either even tho i have a case on it. What i have to be more careful of is womens jeans, or cargo yoga pants, have shallow pockets, so I have to be more careful the phone doesnt pop out the top of the pocket & fall while walking !!
    iHeartMyPINKalicious5C~iPadAir~MBPretina
    *drink that Kool-Aid, follow my lead. now you're one of us, you're coming with me*

Global Posts
    21,232 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    I'm the same way. I put my iPhone in a pocket by itself, if it's not in my hand, and there is no case/cover on it at all. Still, you'd be hard pressed to find a scratch anywhere on it.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It does not need to be covered. It depends on how you take care if it.

Global Posts
    21,232 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    It does not need to be covered. It depends on how you take care if it.
    Exactly. Besides, it's too beautiful a device to be covered, in my opinion.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    BLiNK likes this.

Global Posts
    3,814 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

I don't use a case. Fact is, you gotta be careful with anything nowadays.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,609 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by forever29 View Post
    I don't use a case. Fact is, you gotta be careful with anything nowadays.
    exactly. a good example would be that soccer mom with her $700+ Coach purse. she would not just set it on anything because she knows the consequences. if you want nice things to stay nice then you have to go the extra mile 'round the clock

when i had my 3G the only times it was dropped was because it was in my lap while driving. i would forget it was there and it would fall out as i was getting out of the vehicle. since the 4 i do not put my phone in my lap anymore
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,609 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    What i have to be more careful of is womens jeans, or cargo yoga pants, have shallow pockets, so I have to be more careful the phone doesnt pop out the top of the pocket & fall while walking !!
    mind showing us a demonstration of how your phone might pop out of your pants?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast