don't lie to me, it has to be covered

ricbon

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You know, as good looking as the 4s is, too bad this thing can't be left without a case or screen protector. I've had it covered in an otterbox and screen cover since day one. I was staring at it one day and decided to take the cover off and let the retina screen shine and after about two days there was a small nick on it. Kinda weak for the simple fact that every ad i see this device its naked, but that's a lie you really cant have this phone naked, it has to be covered.

garrett

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
do you have insurance through your carrier/asurion, applecare, 3rdparty....ETC..?

and where is the damage? front glass, back glass, metal band...ETC?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Mine is naked most of the time... and the rest of the time, I use a CaseMate Barely There case with NO screen protection... my iPhone4 was perfect when I gave it to my daughter last October... my iPhone 4S is still perfect...

It CAN be done...

reginald_1986

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it all depends on self maintenance and also luck. I know my gf is pretty careful with these things and recently she accidentally dropped her phone. What I am trying to say is if you want to put sp or case, good! If not, you are still fine but it increases the risk. Self preference mostly. I cover my ip4s with mophie juice pack plus and momax matte sp.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
All I use is a screen protector, mainly because of fingerprints. When I use a case it's my juice pack.

iPhone.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
i've also had mine cased since the second i had it activated at VzW before walking out of the store back in Nov2011. I'm VERY careful with my electronics, BUT theres always a slim chance of it slipping out of your hand or loosing grip by accident. I think i'd die if mine was naked and i accidentally dropped it and shattered -- even tho i am insured !!

The last ph i used before going to iPhone was a Bold9650, and it being a more durable phone-i've always had it covered too - out of the year i had it, i did accidentally drop it once, so even being as careful as possible, it can still happen.

I choose to keep mine covered 24/7/365 - i'm just not as brave as some of you guys/gals here:)

Reactions: AJ_Watson

AJ_Watson

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Every iphone 4 in our household is marred in some fashion, be it a nick in the glass (front and back) or scraps on the side bands..

Mine and my wife's are both well cared for. with screen protectors and cases, only have spent minimal time Au-natural in their birthday suites.

It is a beautiful device, but it is in fact only glass, we knew the inherent risks when we chose them and accepted them.. I don't regret my choice, but it still kind of stinks.:(

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the iPhone has to be covered up or that you were "lied" to. Apple never said the iPhone has to be covered up. IMHO it's a matter of personal choice as to covering it up or not. I've seen iPhones after one year that were never covered up and yet they still look like new. I've also seen ones that looked like they've been though the war, lol. That said, I prefer the peace of mind that comes with keeping a screen protector and Speck case on my iPhones. :)

Sent from my iPad 4G using Tapatalk HD.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i am more "uncovered" than i am covered. currently using an Otterbox Commuter while at work (Construction Industry) but the minute i am going home until the next morning, and weekends, i am completely uncovered (with the exception of screen protectors on both sides)

like sort of mentioned already, when you have a device without a case you are in a different state of mind.. "Super-Aware" if you will. there are certain things you will do or not do while not using a case. for example; i will not check emails, texts, notifications etc.. as soon as i receive them. i do it at my own discretion. this equates to a lower amount of times i will be removing the device from my pocket which decreases the chances of something happening

most of my friends that work in office have no case or screen protectors and i have yet to hear of any horror stories. does that mean they have been lucky? no, more likely they have been super-aware. of course i have some friends that do it knowing that worse case scenario they will just buy a new one outright

this is just like anything else; if you have something nice and want to keep it that way then you are going to protect it. does not mean you have to. plain & simple

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You know, as good looking as the 4s is, too bad this thing can't be left without a case or screen protector. I've had it covered in an otterbox and screen cover since day one. I was staring at it one day and decided to take the cover off and let the retina screen shine and after about two days there was a small nick on it. Kinda weak for the simple fact that every ad i see this device its naked, but that's a lie you really cant have this phone naked, it has to be covered.

I put mine in a pouch case when not in use. No other protection at all since release day. Not a mark or scratch on it. Fact is it is a sturdy phone but you still have to be careful with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cctpitts01

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i've also had mine cased since the second i had it activated at VzW before walking out of the store back in Nov2011.

I had my case ordered before I had the phone in hand. I wasn't about to take a chance with a phone I just shelled out over $700 for. I bought mine off contract to get away from my God-awful Storm2.

The ONLY time I use my phone without a case is when I dock it on my iHome. Then I have the iHome and the phone in the middle of my couch and have the surrounding areas covered in towels so if one of my cats knock the phone off the charger, it doesn't go far. I just wish I could find a case that offers the protection of an Otterbox and still be able to dock.

mookster

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I found myself some skins that are mock carbon fiber with a screen protector and topped it off with a sweet Oakley O-Matter case that has slats in it. Yeah, if a person wanted to show their phone off naked its possible OR there are some really cool case/skin combos if you let your imagination work. I always get asked what phone I have BTW cuz it's sweet looking lol.

grishkin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

yep you're right

the day I put the iPhone in the same pocket as my keys it had a nick on it

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, if you put the phone in your pocket with a set of keys or something it seems like dumb luck to not mark it up somehow eventually.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i have been putting my iPhone(s) in my pocket for a long time. never had an issue with keys or anything. i designate a pocket for my phone ONLY

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
i have been putting my iPhone(s) in my pocket for a long time. never had an issue with keys or anything. i designate a pocket for my phone ONLY

even with my phone covered/cased, if i decide to put it in one of my pockets by chance, i also make sure nothing else is in my pocket either even tho i have a case on it. What i have to be more careful of is womens jeans, or cargo yoga pants, have shallow pockets, so I have to be more careful the phone doesnt pop out the top of the pocket & fall while walking !!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm the same way. I put my iPhone in a pocket by itself, if it's not in my hand, and there is no case/cover on it at all. Still, you'd be hard pressed to find a scratch anywhere on it. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR