What's the worst thing you could say about your iPhone?

somedayz

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm...I can say several things, sadly, but I think it all comes down to lack of customization/personalization (compared to Android or BlackBerry). For example: there's no option other than a "bubble" to view text messages. Why isn't there an option to view the message on the entire screen versus about 2/3 of it? Only ONE email "icon" and no "new message" indicator. I only use 2 email accts on my iPhone, but during the week my work emails are A LOT more important than personal emails. If I could even assign different tones for the different email accounts it would be helpful. And the lack of a "new message" indicator is frustrating, especially since I cannot separate emails into different icons. I need to know is when a new work email comes in. I think it's asking a lot to keep up with how many unread emails you have to know if the little number icon changes to know if you have new email (if you don't hear the tone, it's on silent, you're away from it, etc). While on email - it would also be nice to "mark messages unread." I'm sure this is just habit ? but when a message is new, I know it still needs action on my part. Also, after reading and deleting a message (with the message open), I prefer to go back to my Inbox versus automatically opening the next message. Almost every employee in our organization has the "read message" notification turned on. So, they get a notification you've read the email when you might not have. Finally, you cannot (easily) insert a picture or any other object in an email. The only solution I've found is to leave the email, find the attachment - copy it and paste it in your email. That's a lot of steps for a simple attachment!

While the iPhone does have shortcuts to ease with typing, the technology is extremely limited; and ultimately ineffective. The shortcut must have 2+ characters. On all my BlackBerry devices, I had extremely helpful shortcuts setup that helped enormously with typing (''r' -> 'are' 'u' -> 'you' etc) I also had shortcuts setup to easily insert punctuation and other symbols (question mark, exclamation mark, ampersand). Not only did it insert them easily, it automatically backspaced, inserted the symbol, then forward spaced.

If there are solutions to any of these concerns, PLEASE help me! I've read through the manual and searched each specifically, but can't find any fixes! I guess I just feel like there should be more functionality for what we pay for these phones! :rolleyes:

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
While the iPhone does have shortcuts to ease with typing, the technology is extremely limited; and ultimately ineffective. The shortcut must have 2+ characters. On all my BlackBerry devices, I had extremely helpful shortcuts setup that helped enormously with typing (''r' -> 'are' 'u' -> 'you' etc)

You can set that up in the settings - general - keyboard. I've got mine set up to correct common mistakes such as fonna getting corrected to gnna and il gets corrected to I'll.

I set it up like I did with my Storm2. The words I commonly mistyped due to rushing or not looking down at my keyboard were used.

One gripe I have is with Siri. She doesn't put punctuation in. When I get her to dictate a text or something for me, it looks like one big run on sentence.

dbcooper227

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
iPhone CALENDAR appointments from 1. calls into calendar 2. email into calendar

using exchange 365 (cloud) as center post to multiple iPhone and devices (Mac and PC) using calendar driven exchange.

we need to do 2 things from the iPhone or I am stuck using Blackberry

1. push calls into calendar as appointments (where calls notes are modified by user and time is used)
2. push emails into calendar as appointments (again later modified by user)

must be exchange365 and iPhone 4

thanks

DBCooper@foxman.com

somedayz

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
You can set that up in the settings - general - keyboard. I've got mine set up to correct common mistakes such as fonna getting corrected to gnna and il gets corrected to I'll.

I set it up like I did with my Storm2. The words I commonly mistyped due to rushing or not looking down at my keyboard were used.

One gripe I have is with Siri. She doesn't put punctuation in. When I get her to dictate a text or something for me, it looks like one big run on sentence.
Thank you so much NobodyListens! I've set up some auto correct items. The problem is "The shortcut must contain at least two characters." Therefore, I cannot set up shortcuts for things like changing "r" to "are" and "u" to "you" and "w" to "with." I can, however, set up things like "bc" to "because." I guess I'm just old and set in my ways, but I just can't seem to send abbreviated text messages!! What I miss most is the auto puncutation and symbol shortcuts!

Jessicalt1

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I came from a Droid so I miss my bigger screen. They could def make the screen bigger without making the phone itself bigger. There is no reason I have a home button the size of an M&M. Also, the ringtones drive me nuts. Why do I have to edit it, sync it with Itunes twice, and then assign? I can't just edit and assign?! Other than that, I actually really love the phone.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Thank you so much NobodyListens! I've set up some auto correct items. The problem is "The shortcut must contain at least two characters." Therefore, I cannot set up shortcuts for things like changing "r" to "are" and "u" to "you" and "w" to "with." I can, however, set up things like "bc" to "because." I guess I'm just old and set in my ways, but I just can't seem to send abbreviated text messages!! What I miss most is the auto puncutation and symbol shortcuts!

What I do is have it set up so that every short cut is the same letter three times.
ccc is call me
mmm is on my way
And this is the most important one:
rrr is Please remove my email address from the body of this message before you forward it. Thanks

For me it's easier to tap the same letter three times rather than some combo of different letters.

Yes if you do the math, I can have a max of 26 but I only have about 5 now.

Good Luck

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Laura, idk if you know this, but with Siri you have to actually 'speak' the punctuation you want.
Ie. I want this meeting at seven pm Period Will you please call John about it question mark.

And then she will insert what you ask her to:)

Reactions: TurboTiger

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm...I can say several things, sadly, but I think it all comes down to lack of customization/personalization (compared to Android or BlackBerry). For example: there's no option other than a "bubble" to view text messages. Why isn't there an option to view the message on the entire screen versus about 2/3 of it? Only ONE email "icon" and no "new message" indicator. I only use 2 email accts on my iPhone, but during the week my work emails are A LOT more important than personal emails. If I could even assign different tones for the different email accounts it would be helpful. And the lack of a "new message" indicator is frustrating, especially since I cannot separate emails into different icons. I need to know is when a new work email comes in. I think it's asking a lot to keep up with how many unread emails you have to know if the little number icon changes to know if you have new email (if you don't hear the tone, it's on silent, you're away from it, etc). While on email - it would also be nice to "mark messages unread." I'm sure this is just habit ? but when a message is new, I know it still needs action on my part. Also, after reading and deleting a message (with the message open), I prefer to go back to my Inbox versus automatically opening the next message. Almost every employee in our organization has the "read message" notification turned on. So, they get a notification you've read the email when you might not have. Finally, you cannot (easily) insert a picture or any other object in an email. The only solution I've found is to leave the email, find the attachment - copy it and paste it in your email. That's a lot of steps for a simple attachment!

While the iPhone does have shortcuts to ease with typing, the technology is extremely limited; and ultimately ineffective. The shortcut must have 2+ characters. On all my BlackBerry devices, I had extremely helpful shortcuts setup that helped enormously with typing (''r' -> 'are' 'u' -> 'you' etc) I also had shortcuts setup to easily insert punctuation and other symbols (question mark, exclamation mark, ampersand). Not only did it insert them easily, it automatically backspaced, inserted the symbol, then forward spaced.

If there are solutions to any of these concerns, PLEASE help me! I've read through the manual and searched each specifically, but can't find any fixes! I guess I just feel like there should be more functionality for what we pay for these phones! :rolleyes:

A few tips - you can do MOST (most, though not all...) of these things or at least make them easier:
To mark unread: You can mark any message "unread". In the message itself, to far right near subject line, look for the word "mark". Click on link, choose option to mark message as unread. You can also flag this way IF this feature is a part of the host email account. The features that come through into email on iPhone are driven by the email client rather than the iDevice.

Filtering work emails from others: In the email menu, open only the work email account (instead of 'all inboxes") ... inbox will then show only work emails. It will push the others, just not show them until you open those inboxes or revert to "all inboxes".

The auto-advance problem: In email settings, scroll down to "Preview". Click for options...set to NONE. This will remove the preview panel that auto-advances to next unread message. Nobody will think you've read an email until you actually have opened it yourself.

Notifications: You can adjust notification settings to see first two lines of a new email on the lock screen and in the (pulldown) notification panel. These only open or show a message as "read" if you then click through from the notification to the email message. A good way to preview & filter to choose which messages to open as they arrive.

Hope this helps a little!

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
sometimes when im outside on a sunny day, I pull my phone out of my pocket and look at the screen, only to have the sun's rays reflect of my retina display and have them blasted into my own retina causing momentary blindless as walk into a pole... but its only happened 3 times.

leanaf82

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
My biggest gripe has been with MMS sent to multiple recipients I keep forgetting that I am also replying to every one the MMS was sent to. That can cause some awkward situations. Coming from android I miss having a native voice guided turn by turn navigation.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Laura, idk if you know this, but with Siri you have to actually 'speak' the punctuation you want.
Ie. I want this meeting at seven pm Period Will you please call John about it question mark.

Did not know this. I'll try it to see if she types what I want her to do.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site

Good info Pink.
Tks

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
My biggest gripe has been with MMS sent to multiple recipients I keep forgetting that I am also replying to every one the MMS was sent to. That can cause some awkward situations.

I agree with this. I've replied to an entire group several times without intending to. It should have a "reply" or "reply to all" option just like typical email. This is a big oversight by Apple...unless I'm missing something.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

Yes, the customizable email account and contact alerts are what I miss most about the BB. Wish each individual email account could have it's own icon on the home screen with badge alerts so we could see at a glance if a new email came in. Also, wish I could silence one account and make a separate tone for another account (I have three different work accounts alone plus personal ones and a joint one and I used to love when I would get alerted when an alert from a certain account, meaning a deal came in, whatever.). Lastly, I wish we cowld have separate, customizable tones for contacts. Hope these issues get fixed in a future update or app.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
My biggest gripe has been with MMS sent to multiple recipients I keep forgetting that I am also replying to every one the MMS was sent to. That can cause some awkward situations. Coming from android I miss having a native voice guided turn by turn navigation.

YES! That is so annoying! When I first got the 4S, I accidentally replied to a group and a few of the recipients were international calls. Oh well!

Solution: Turn off Group Messaging. SETTINGS --> MESSAGES --> Group Messaging, turn "OFF"

This way you will only reply to the sender.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal