iPhone won't charge after battery drained!!

Oliverg109

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
My 4S battery drained last night, I but it to charge, and it still has no charged and not even turning on. It keeps showing the low battery, I have tried several ways of charging, different cables and still nothing. Any other ideas?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Plug your 4S to your computer for about 15 minutes and then connect it to its normal power supply and then see if it turns on and/or starts charging like it is suppose to.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's time to take a trip to a nearby Apple store. After 5 months, your iPhone 4S should not be having charging issues. By the way, is it possible that your powercord or connector is visibly damaged?

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

Last edited:
Reactions: reltm

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Wow Oliver, i've never heard of this happening !! Sounds like your battery has had its run of charges unfortunately or its a faulty battery:(--i'd agree with D, a trip to Apple to have them change the battery for you and hopefully that'll fix your issue. Good luck:)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
How long are you leaving it on the charger when it drains? I've drained my phone a few times and the
low battery icon will show and it has taken up to 20 minutes to turn back on while charging.

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I want to echo the suggestion to try a different charger and charging cable. if you're not even getting a charging symbol, this sounds more likely to be a charger or cable issue than a battery issue.

Alternatively, you could take a look at the charging port. Perhaps one of the pins isn't lining up properly or has something on it preventing contact.

Fixxy

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Could be any number of things. Start with cheapest to most expensive when troubleshooting. Charging cable > battery > dock connector > etc

Reactions: reltm

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
did you ever find a way to get your iPhone fixed? because I'm having the exact same problem with my iPhone 5

I'd try a different cable - one you know is working. If you've got a friend who has a charger that will fit your phone, see if it'll charge on that cable. It could be a bad cable or it could be something internal. If a different cable doesn't work, a trip to the Apple store or a call to your WSP would be your next step.

VFRWiz

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Ok, this is too late to help, but I thought I'd answer anyway in case someone else finds this post whilst searching for the problem. Here's how to fix it:

Lithium batteries have protection against over-discharging, they do this by breaking the circuit if the voltage drops too low to prevent further drain. Unfortunately, once this has triggered, you can no longer put charge back into the battery because the battery is disconnected internally, so no matter how long you leave the phone on charge, it remains disconnected and flat.

You only need to get the voltage in the battery to raise a percent or two to reconnect the protection circuit so that it will charge again and you can do that by warming up the battery. You may get away with leaving the phone overnight in a very warm (hot) place, such as on top of a hot water tank, however a more efficient way is to remove the battery and heat it up until it's quite hot with a hairdryer on its hottest setting. Heat it for a good 5-10 mins so that the hear soaks right through the battery and it feels hot to the touch, this will raise the internal voltage enough to reconnect the protection circuit. Immediately reconnect the battery into the phone and put it on charge. After about 10-20 mins, enough charge should get back into the battery to fire up the phone and it'll come back to life.

I've done this a few times now on various different models and it always works. Hope it helps you.

Last edited:

Baluga94

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
VFRWiz you had best not be trolling because tomorrow I am going to leave my iPhone 4 out in the Malawi sun with the battery open in the last ditch attempt to fix my iPhone. lets hope the monkeys don't steal it.

Pray to base god

JombiS

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Thank you VFRWiz!!! This is the only thing that worked. My iPhone 5 died yesterday and the most it would do is show the battery icon with just a little red at the bottom. I left it charging overnight with no result. I tried several time to reboot with no luck and iTunes would not recognize it even when connected to my Mac. I was about to head to an Apple repair shop when I came across this thread.
I took a blowdryer and held it at high heat for about a minute and then went and connected it back to the charging cord. Boom! The Apple icon came on and now all's well!
Thanks so much!!!