iPhone won't charge after battery drained!!

Julia Jimenez

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Thank you VFRWiz!!! This is the only thing that worked. My iPhone 5 died yesterday and the most it would do is show the battery icon with just a little red at the bottom. I left it charging overnight with no result. I tried several time to reboot with no luck and iTunes would not recognize it even when connected to my Mac. I was about to head to an Apple repair shop when I came across this thread.
I took a blowdryer and held it at high heat for about a minute and then went and connected it back to the charging cord. Boom! The Apple icon came on and now all's well!
Thanks so much!!!

Did you take out the battery or did you just heat up the entire phone?

zoog85

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
VFRWiz you're my ffing hero! Worked like a charm on my iPad 3. Heated up the back of the iPad for about one minute with a hairdryer and plugged it in. Is currently booted and charging :) Thank you sir.

Andrian Joe

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Infinite thanks to you, VFRWiz. I did many things to revive my phone and your advice worked perfectly. I heated my iPhone5 using hairdryer and plug the connector to my iMac. Boom! My phone worked now :)

So grateful!

samh-j

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
VFRWiz........Thank you so much!!! Both my husband's and my phones coincidently had this same problem this morning. As everyone else, first I kept trying to charge it, reset it, etc. and nothing worked. Fortunately I then found your suggestion. At first I was tentative at heating up the phone, so it didn't work, but then I just heated up the back of the phone with a hair dryer from a distance of 1-2 inches, for just about one minute, which really warmed it up, and then plugged in phone, put a towel on top to hold in the heat, and waited 20-30 minutes. I live in a smaller town and the closest Apple store is over two hours away, so this was quite the time saver and gas saver for me. Again, thank you!

Amit Malla

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
OMG...this actually works...my iphone 5 was dead for around 7 hours. always showing low battery..after this post i heated up the back side of the phone for few seconds and finally it turned on thanks a lot..thought its rubbish but it actually worked..cant thank u enuff

Saif Yousuf

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I followed your method step-by-step by using a hair dryer to heat up the back of the phone, left it untouched for ten good minuteod minutes after putting it to charge but now it doesn't switch on at all! first the red drained battery logo showed up along with a charge cable but now that doesn't come either after following your steps! Help :(

Sara Bequette

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
My phone's battery fully drained last night. When I plugged it in this morning (using several different plugs/ports/cords) it wouldn't charge! I waited five hours and still nothing was happening. I started to search for things to try and ran across this brilliant idea to heat it up. I took my phone out to my car during my lunch break and set it on top of the dash board where the sun had thoroughly heated the dash. I let it sit for 5-10 minutes until my phone felt hot to the touch. I plugged it into the charging cord and immediately saw the Apple symbol that let me know it was booting up.

:yes: :heart: ;) Thank you SO much for sharing this invaluable information - I hadn't run across it anywhere else.

Sara Bequette

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I followed your method step-by-step by using a hair dryer to heat up the back of the phone, left it untouched for ten good minuteod minutes after putting it to charge but now it doesn't switch on at all! first the red drained battery logo showed up along with a charge cable but now that doesn't come either after following your steps! Help :(

If I'm reading your response correctly, it sounds like you heated it up and then let it sit for ten minutes? If yes, then it would have cooled before you plugged it in to charge. You need to plug the phone in to charge while the battery is still heated. Perhaps give it another try? Let us know if that works!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about charging using heat this way. If you end up with a damaged phone, don't say you weren't warned. Here's what Apple says about iPhones and heat.
"Your device is designed to perform well in a wide range of ambient temperatures, with 62? to 72? F (16? to 22? C) as the ideal comfort zone. It?s especially important to avoid exposing your device to ambient temperatures higher than 95? F (35? C), which can permanently damage battery capacity. That is, your battery won?t power your device as long on a given charge. Charging the device in high ambient temperatures can damage it further. Even storing a battery in a hot environment can damage it irreversibly. When using your device in a very cold environment, you may notice a decrease in battery life, but this condition is temporary. Once the battery?s temperature returns to its normal operating range, its performance will return to normal as well."

Thomoad

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
The advice works! Applying heat for a minute and then immediately plugging it brought it back to life!

Does anyone know if this means there is a bigger underlying problem with the battery/phone? My 5s has had difficulty with intermittent charging for a couple of weeks now and I can't find a remedy. Then as soon as the battery dies I really struggled to bring it back to life (until now!)

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Holy hellfire.. thanks VFRWiz. I just registered now to comment because I think you just saved my a55.

I've done the little trick myself, and so far it's charged from 7% up to 14 and rising. (Now 16%)

I am unsure though, it jumped 2% (From 14 to 16) which leaves me a little worried.. should I ultimately replace my battery? I have a spare after-all.

People if you're going to do this, some extra advice when using the hair dryer on your phone would be to hold the phone up somehow and blow dry it from underneath.. the battery is glued on the bottom, and the heat may cause the glue to lose it's grip on the battery, leaving it loose inside of the iPhone.

I have a thermo gun and I gauged how hot my iPhone's back got, I let it go no higher than 50*C and it seems to have done the trick. I'll post more information later.. I'll leave it charging through the night.

Are there any tips to avoid this from happening again? Like not letting it fall below 20% charge? Is this a TEMPORARY fix and I should replace the battery?

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I think this is such bull.. All commenters and hallelujah hailers are newly registered members with just one post.

I highly suggest somebody takes action in this thread, 'cause I'm worried somebody will try this for real at home and see her/his phone die with no remedy at all.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about charging using heat this way. If you end up with a damaged phone, don't say you weren't warned. Here's what Apple says about iPhones and heat.
"Your device is designed to perform well in a wide range of ambient temperatures, with 62? to 72? F (16? to 22? C) as the ideal comfort zone. It?s especially important to avoid exposing your device to ambient temperatures higher than 95? F (35? C), which can permanently damage battery capacity. That is, your battery won?t power your device as long on a given charge. Charging the device in high ambient temperatures can damage it further. Even storing a battery in a hot environment can damage it irreversibly. When using your device in a very cold environment, you may notice a decrease in battery life, but this condition is temporary. Once the battery?s temperature returns to its normal operating range, its performance will return to normal as well."

This thread was created March 19, 2012. Yep, 2012. At least 10 of the replies regarding the alleged heating method were from probable drive-bys or one and done members who, as far as we know, could be collectively trying to get iPhone owners to damage their devices. Having said that, thank you for posting what Apple has to say regarding the iPhone and heat. It is appreciated, sir...:)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think this is such bull.. All commenters and hallelujah hailers are newly registered members with just one post.

I highly suggest somebody takes action in this thread, 'cause I'm worried somebody will try this for real at home and see her/his phone die with no remedy at all.

Hopefully, common sense and the ability to research will prevail. If not, it will be a valuable lesson learned...:)

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
It's been a good 20 minutes and it's now at 20% so it's charging.. seems a little slow though..

Still would like recommendations on changing the battery or not.

Edit 5-10 mins later: Now 23%

Another edit: 31%.

I'll have to say that this did the trick, thank you again VFRWiz.

For people who say that this is a troll or just a post to break your phone... well, if your phone isn't charging and it's dying, I don't see what you have to lose. And that's exactly how I felt and I have found myself extremely lucky. ':f

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Excuse me, Tartarus, I've done it myself and have given feedback, and it actually has worked. I was panicing after my iPhone not charging above 25% for a whole night after a lightning storm.. thought the storm itself had broken my Phone.

The trick has worked and the scientific explanation behind it sounds very logical.

Try it yourself, 50*C heat to the back of your phone will not damage it. Monitor how much you heat it up.

It's nothing to do with Apple, it's directed at how a Li-ion battery functions.

No idea why anyone would want to maliciously destroy other peoples iPhones over the internet.

Edit:

"Your device is designed to perform well in a wide range of ambient temperatures, with 62? to 72? F (16? to 22? C) as the ideal comfort zone. It’s especially important to avoid exposing your device to ambient temperatures higher than 95? F (35? C), which can permanently damage battery capacity. That is, your battery won’t power your device as long on a given charge. Charging the device in high ambient temperatures can damage it further. Even storing a battery in a hot environment can damage it irreversibly. When using your device in a very cold environment, you may notice a decrease in battery life, but this condition is temporary. Once the battery’s temperature returns to its normal operating range, its performance will return to normal as well."

What is this garbage..? If this is true, how in the world am I to charge my iPhone in Australia? 35*C ambience? It gets to 45*C here! ':f

P.S. the heating I believe is only supposed to be only 60 seconds tops, I don't think I'd go with the water heater idea.. that's too long and the plastic elements might warp.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods