iPhone won't charge after battery drained!!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This has ruined my 1 week old 6s!!!!!!!!

this did not fix the issue instead this has ruined the lcd screen by getting too hot, and im pretty sure the warrenty does not cover me over heating it with a hairdryer...... FOR F***S SAKE:mad:

Here's my post earlier in this thread.
cb8e5453f5972b8dc76a1d6e76b6f20d.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This has ruined my 1 week old 6s!!!!!!!!

this did not fix the issue instead this has ruined the lcd screen by getting too hot, and im pretty sure the warrenty does not cover me over heating it with a hairdryer...... FOR F***S SAKE:mad:

It's unfortunate that "this has ruined (your) 1 week old 6S", however, you must take responsibility for it happening, in my opinion, because several posts warned of following the instructions that suggest using a hair dryer. iMore Ambassador Ledsteplin was even kind enough to post information from Apple. Heat and electronics are at odds with each other. Anyway, if you have Apple Care +, now would be a good time to use it.

cevanc

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
Well...I made an account just to say thank you.

Just moved apartments this past weekend and have been relying on my phone for internet. Also just dished out some money to upgrade my data for the wifi lull at my apartment.

Then.... I wake up after charging my iPhone5 all night with nothing but a low battery symbol :mad:

So I'm sitting here in a coffee shop and I come across VFRWiz's post and I get excited by the prospect of not having to go buy a new phone/replace my battery RIGHT AWAY.

I'm naturally skeptical so I decided to read through the whole thread before I was on board, especially given the warnings. Since after reading his or her comment, it did occur to me that my phone (and my new apartment) were a little bit colder than I'm used to, before I read through the rest of the comments I decided I would sit on my phone. Not directly on top of it, I just put it under my leg.

10 minutes later I took it out and plugged it in immediately and....it WORKS.

No hair dryer. No heat gun. Same principle. Good thing too because I don't have a hair dryer or a heat gun.

THANK YOU VFRWiz.

PS: I am not advocating the use of any heat generating equipment on your electronic devices. Just give 'em a cuddle for like 20 min and maybe that will help.

Carlo_R71

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I have a 6s and the same happened to me, i used it until it fully ran out of battery and after 3 hours on the charger it would only show the little red bottom filled battery icon.

So i dont have a hair dryer but what I did is use the stove! I turned on the smallest amount of fire, and put the phone very high up so that it would only get a little bit of heat checking with my own hand it was not too hot to damage the phone. After 2 minutes of doing so, voila! it worked perfectly!
Just do not expose the phone to close to the heat please! Just enough heat to make the battery warm :gold-star::gold-star::gold-star:

Miims

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
:crying::crying::crying::crying:
My iPhone won't turn on anymore. i tried charging all night and I'm up again and its still not coming on. Its not even up to 6months old. The battery drained and i tried charging it but it doesn't work. It showed the low battery sign and goes off. I tried to hard reset but nothing happens. Im so frustrated, i don't have money to get a new one now. Please help, someone help.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
My iPhone won't turn on anymore. i tried charging all night and I'm up again and its still not coming on. Its not even up to 6months old. The battery drained and i tried charging it but it doesn't work. It showed the low battery sign and goes off. I tried to hard reset but nothing happens. Im so frustrated, i don't have money to get a new one now. Please help, someone help.

Do u have  care or any type of insurance ? I suggest take it into  & they'll replace it if your not at fault. Hope it works out, good luck.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

First make sure it's not a faulty charge cable or charger. If it's only 6 months old, then it's a manufacturer defect. I don't think a new battery in a new phone can go bad in 6 months. Take it to Apple or call their support. If you bought it used, then you may need to replace the battery.

Mortenlol

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Had a iPad 3 that hadn't been used for around 2 years. It's been stored in a basement that had quite a lot of humidity, so didn't expect to to come to life. Had the issue with the "red battery", was unable to turn it on.

Heated it with a hairdryer for around 2 min. Now it works! Great stuff.

suzy suemarie

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
ALSO....don't be alarmed if the heat trick does not work for you. It means your battery is just shot. I tried it also for a full day to no avail on behalf of my 17 year old..who now has one ear and the other side of his face is an Iphone. Trust me....he was born with two ears. He overused it and when it was taken away due to technology (cell and a gamer) taking precedence over his grades,,,it got stored away in a warm room of the house...MY ROOM. After his grades were brought up....about 2 months later....this same problem happened. We have been through this twice in one year. Last April and this April. Lesson learned......if a parent takes a phone away from their darling for a short time....tell them to charge it at least twice a week to spare them grief when it gets returned. Anyway...no biggie...we ordered a new battery that came with special tools from Amazon for $12.99 and he put it in after watching a youtube video. It took him 30 minutes. (having Amazon Prime is nice....his phone was up and running in 2 days) Mom forked over the moula because I should have known better after the first time when we had a tech put in a new battery for almost 5 times that amount! So if one solution fails....there is ALWAYS another reasonable one around the corner to avoid a catastrophic event like when your lifeline (your cell) quits working. :)

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the coolest tricks I've seen in awhile. I didn't do it with an iPhone, but I did it with my mom's Surface RT. She bought it, used it once and then literally let is sit there for months. Then she decides she wants to use it again and it won't charge up. I took a blowdryer to it and voila! Thank you for the trick!

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
at the risk of being laughed at, why not do what my family have always done when something needs warming up gently, stick it in the airing cupboard. For those that don't know the term it's the place where your hot water tank is (usually). We've used this to dry out watches, start the yeast for bread, warm up wet kittens, forever. And you won't cremate your device !

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Heating it is risky. I don't recommend it. In my experience with my old iPhone 5, when the battery discharges down to 0, it shuts off and is hard to get going on the charger. Sometimes it takes an hour or more just to start showing up on the lock screen. People have damaged their phone by using heat.

florallure

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
The hairdryer trick worked! I haven't used my old iphone 5 in the longest time and in preparation for an upcoming trip, my boyfriend said to use my i5 for GPS. I wanted to update the iOS and download whatever necessary but it just won't boot. I plugged in the cable for almost 1 hour and yet no response, except for the red battery sign when plugged in. So I told my boyfriend this and got scolded by him because apparently I shouldn't have left my i5 dead for so long; any device should be charged to 3/4 full even when not in use. So desperate, I tried the reboot method, alternate between lock and home button etc and nothing worked. I was at the verge of dismissing the hairdryer method but hey whatever, might as well give it a shot. My mum warned me about it for fear of overheating but I made sure I held it at a good distance and no more than 1 minute. Then I quickly plugged in the cable and voila, the apple logo appeared! It is currently charging at 23%, and seems good. Although it feels a little hot, I am going to let it charge till 40% - 50% and then take it off to cool down first.

Sure, you risk damaging your battery but then again, our phones are increasingly getting heated up due to prolonged usage, especially so with Pokemon Go on the loose. So I don't see any issue with using the hairdryer to give the battery the needed boost. Just as long as you don't exceed 1 minute and keep a good distance when heating up, no harm trying. :)

opehyia

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I can't imagine that the solution is easy. I disposed total of 4 batteries because of that issue. Thanks to this incredible thread and to the informative replies because now I know how to hack back the life of my gadget's batteries.

cpweather

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
This also worked for me!! I have an iPhone 5s.
I did not have any hair drier, while traveling, but I heated up with the palm of my hand using friction, until it got warm.
Then it began to charge after that!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro