iPhone won't charge after battery drained!!

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Changing the battery is a logical choice IMHO.

Ps: I didn't say it was trolling, I was only being skeptical.

No no that was me just putting it into perspective for others to think about. (Where it seemed like a troll post)

I agree I think I will change my battery soon, I will have to see if it ever happens again.

I mean I can totally understand putting a hair dryer to your iPhone sounds utterly retarded, though sometimes the crazy things are what get things working.

For example, if your home button doesn't work, you can plug your charger in, push down on the charger (so the tip goes up into the phone) to push your home button back into place under the bracket. It's not something you should normally do, but it does work.

I'll definitely be keeping this page on my bookmarks to report back how long this solution has worked for me though unlike the rest of the others here who dropped a compliment off.

Hopefully the fix will last me longer than a week.. if not, then.. yeah, I'll have to do some phone surgery again.. (I built my own iPhone 5S from buying separate parts, was fun.. lol ;d )

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Try connecting it to iTunes on a PC

I'll try later, refuse to take off charge until 100%.

I don't think I'll be letting my phone fall below 20% any more.

Currently 68% now. Been around 2.5 hours now to get from 7% to 68.

Edit: It's fully functional, works with iTunes no problem.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Excuse me, Tartarus, I've done it myself and have given feedback, and it actually has worked. I was panicing after my iPhone not charging above 25% for a whole night after a lightning storm.. thought the storm itself had broken my Phone.

The trick has worked and the scientific explanation behind it sounds very logical.

Try it yourself, 50*C heat to the back of your phone will not damage it. Monitor how much you heat it up.

It's nothing to do with Apple, it's directed at how a Li-ion battery functions.

No idea why anyone would want to maliciously destroy other peoples iPhones over the internet.

Edit:

"Your device is designed to perform well in a wide range of ambient temperatures, with 62? to 72? F (16? to 22? C) as the ideal comfort zone. It?s especially important to avoid exposing your device to ambient temperatures higher than 95? F (35? C), which can permanently damage battery capacity. That is, your battery won?t power your device as long on a given charge. Charging the device in high ambient temperatures can damage it further. Even storing a battery in a hot environment can damage it irreversibly. When using your device in a very cold environment, you may notice a decrease in battery life, but this condition is temporary. Once the battery?s temperature returns to its normal operating range, its performance will return to normal as well."

What is this garbage..? If this is true, how in the world am I to charge my iPhone in Australia? 35*C ambience? It gets to 45*C here! ':f

P.S. the heating I believe is only supposed to be only 60 seconds tops, I don't think I'd go with the water heater idea.. that's too long and the plastic elements might warp.

It may work, but doing it is taking a risk of damaging your device. I just wanted everyone to understand the possible consequences.

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
It may work, but doing it is taking a risk of damaging your device. I just wanted everyone to understand the possible consequences.

Oh absolutely but 35*C Ambience? That makes no sense to me. :f

Anyhow, I'm back.. it's been 6-7 hours (I was sleeping ;d ) and my battery is now back to 100% from an over-night charge. Will hit back sometime when the problem persists and if a battery change fixes it..

.. though since other users haven't returned I'm going to be hopeful. ':x

VFRWiz thank you a lot. ;3 <3

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Me again, sadly the 'fix' isn't as long term as I had hoped..

Perhaps I need to use the hair dryer longer, I do not know.. though I don't want it to be a recurring operation every time I want to charge my phone.

Using the hair dryer = one charge cycle..

Right now I'm replacing my battery with another, hopefully it's not the chip / logic board that's doing this.. the phone is a couple years old though after-all.. I suppose it's just the battery.

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Aaaand I'm back again. Did the battery replacement. (Booted up, battery started at 51% and has charged up to 55% in less than 3-4 minutes. Hoooly dooley.

I guess my battery really was worn down to hell.. this is charging quite quickly.. hopefully it's not just a busted battery, will come back with more results. ;d

Edit: It's been an hour on charge and it got up to 100%, that's from 3-4 hours down to around 2 hours if I were to start from 0.

I have to assume my previous battery was shot. ;d

Shame I ripped it out, I should've done a check on how many cycles the battery has taken in it's lifetime. I checked my 4S though and it has 309 cycles (80% capacity left) I am sure the 5S's old battery was much lower.

Last edited:

Sara Bequette

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I think this is such bull.. All commenters and hallelujah hailers are newly registered members with just one post.

I highly suggest somebody takes action in this thread, 'cause I'm worried somebody will try this for real at home and see her/his phone die with no remedy at all.

Yes, it's true this was my first post. I stumbled upon this site looking for a solution and found one! This isn't bull. I really tried this "at home" and it really worked! I understand why it sounds unreliable...and yes, it's always better to take it in to get serviced by a professional, but if you're willing to try and fix it yourself because if it doesn't work - you'll replace it, then I don't see a problem with sharing helpful info like this. Just because it sounds wonky does not mean the thread should be put to a halt. It's obviously helping a lot of people... myself included.

And just to update on my personal phone experience: it's still working like a charm. The first time I let the battery fully drain after this occurrance I was a little worried that I would have the same issue, but it charges fine. I've let my battery fully drain a few times now since I had to heat it up to "jump start it" and it's charging just as it was before. No harm done.

Sara Bequette

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
This thread was created March 19, 2012. Yep, 2012. At least 10 of the replies regarding the alleged heating method were from probable drive-bys or one and done members who, as far as we know, could be collectively trying to get iPhone owners to damage their devices. Having said that, thank you for posting what Apple has to say regarding the iPhone and heat. It is appreciated, sir...:)

In searching for a solution, when one is found - you tend to post that it worked (out of excitement) and yes, perhaps you move along. That doesn't mean the people claiming it worked are making it up! I can't speak for anyone else, but this truly did work for me. I appreciate the warning given by Ledsteplin and there's certainly no harm in letting people know that they should do this at their own risk, but I don't appreciate implications that I may be trying to get iPhone owners to damage their phone by saying that this worked when, in fact, it did work and saved my phone. No harm was done to my phone - quite the opposite.

Last edited:

Monique P

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I just tried it! It does work 100%... no BS. I want to cry. I've been praying for a solution since Saturday! I don't have the money for a new phone. This post was heaven sent. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!:):):):):):):):)

lallad1

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I was so grateful to find a solution to my problem that I registered just to thank the person that posted the tip. I'd tried everything and with nothing to lose I tried it out. It worked! there is no collective attempt to try to get people to damage their iPhone's LOL!! the explanation put forth as to giving the battery a 'jump' makes sense. Every person is free to make there own choice, the risk is yours, use your own common sense, don't put it under the blow-dryer too long...I did it few inches from the device for under a min,, probably around 30 secs. When I let battery drain too low and I was in my car with no hair-dryer I simply set it on my dash, battery side up, a few mins till hot to the touch and then tried to charge with my car charger and that worked too :D I made an appt with at the Genius Bar at the Apple Store and they replaced my battery. The helpful post made it possible for me to have a working phone until my scheduled appointment, to back up, and to upload my thousand pics!

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, please don't use the dryer too long, and again this should only be a temporary fix until you replace the battery by yourself, or at the genius bar.. ;d

"If the battery's natural discharge depletes it below usable levels (i.e. below 2.5V), its smart system will disable the battery's ability to retain a charge, as charging it from a true-0 state could result in a fire. This is also true for overuse and abuse of a battery."

P.S. found this so.. yes. ;d

The little science about heating the battery is the electricians law.. V/IxR

Meaning, heating a battery causes the resistance inside to rise, thus making the voltage rise in relation to the amperes.

A neat trick, getting the battery into thinking it's charging itself. ;d

Last edited:

Rjlamz

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Ok, this is too late to help, but I thought I'd answer anyway in case someone else finds this post whilst searching for the problem. Here's how to fix it:

Lithium batteries have protection against over-discharging, they do this by breaking the circuit if the voltage drops too low to prevent further drain. Unfortunately, once this has triggered, you can no longer put charge back into the battery because the battery is disconnected internally, so no matter how long you leave the phone on charge, it remains disconnected and flat.

You only need to get the voltage in the battery to raise a percent or two to reconnect the protection circuit so that it will charge again and you can do that by warming up the battery. You may get away with leaving the phone overnight in a very warm (hot) place, such as on top of a hot water tank, however a more efficient way is to remove the battery and heat it up until it's quite hot with a hairdryer on its hottest setting. Heat it for a good 5-10 mins so that the hear soaks right through the battery and it feels hot to the touch, this will raise the internal voltage enough to reconnect the protection circuit. Immediately reconnect the battery into the phone and put it on charge. After about 10-20 mins, enough charge should get back into the battery to fire up the phone and it'll come back to life.

I've done this a few times now on various different models and it always works. Hope it helps you.

Thank u so much. U helped me alot with my iphone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!godbless

Paul Murray3

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Yeah... seriously I thought this was a load of crap. I warmed up my iphone with the hair dryer for about a minute... BOO YEAH, it worked!!!! I am humbled... and thank you very much!!!

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Yeah... seriously I thought this was a load of crap. I warmed up my iphone with the hair dryer for about a minute... BOO YEAH, it worked!!!! I am humbled... and thank you very much!!!

Yo, nice one Paul.

I did a little thinking myself and if anyone here knows how electricity works, here's how using a hair dryer works by charging the battery just that little bit.

For the Electricians, it's as simple as V / I x R

Screen+Shot+2012-11-20+at+11.05.58+AM.png

For the rest of you, Voltage over Current times Resistance.

Basically, heat creates resistance with electronics, and because resistance (ohms) and current (amps) are friends, they increase the value of Voltage.

Example: 30ohms x 5amps = 150volts

If you heat it up, the ohms will rise, example.. 35ohms x 5amps = 175 volts

(note this isn't the actual stats of your battery, just a loose example)

Now because you applied heat to your iPhone battery, or any Lithium Ion battery with a circuit that cuts off when it drains too low, you re-enable the circuit because you charged the battery slightly through raising the resistance inside of itself, thus rising the voltage. (very neat trick, eh?)

Another thing about this funny science thing is... if you are a person who wears a wrist watch.. have you ever wondered why the battery in your watch lasts so much longer while you are actually wearing it all the time?

Yessss.. now you see. ;d

Now don't let your battery die again!

Edit: I'm going to stop humping this forum now.. ';d

wrthrash

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
THANKS VFRWiz!!!

SUCCESS!!!! MANY M-A-N-Y thanks to VFRWiz!!!! It took me two tries, but used a heat-gun (super hot) from about 10 to 12 inches away, with the iPhone 4S face down, pointing the heat at the right edge (where batt is). First try I think I was too far away, but on the second try I put the phone on the charger right away, the red battery symbol was immediately replaced with the white apple and a short progress bar, then Photos & iTunes launched on my computer and a moment later my iPhone splash screen came up!!! Holy Moly, what a save. NOW THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP: Got to go and get a new battery. I joined the forum just now to say thanks, so THANKS VFRWiz!!!

SammeyHaas12

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
are you sure this will work. last night my iPhone 5c died and so i thought it was the charger. but have tried three other chargers. The dead battery screen shows up every once in a while when i act as if i try to turn it on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods