iPhone won't charge after battery drained!!

ATTtech89

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
My 4S battery drained last night, I but it to charge, and it still has no charged and not even turning on. It keeps showing the low battery, I have tried several ways of charging, different cables and still nothing. Any other ideas?

I had the same issue on my 5, which is my work phone. It had been dead for quite a while while I was on vacation. Plugging it in did nothing for me, but this solved it:

1. Plug in your phone using cables which are in good condition.

2. Press and hold the power button and home button simultaneously until the low battery indicator shows up on the screen.

3. Do not panic if it does not seem to be making progress right away. Set the phone aside and wait.

4. After abut 20 minutes my phone turned on and started charging normally again.

maddog123

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
VRFwiz
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! My daughters iPhone was doing this, no help from the apple store. They told us it was because we had the screen replaced by a non apple place. I was about to chuck a perfectly good iPhone 5. I saw you post and figured, why not. I double bagged the iPhone in zip lock bags and filled up a bowl of hot water from the faucet. Left it in there for 15 minutes. Took it out, plugged it in and first thing to come up was the apple symbol. This morning it was 100% charged. Seriously can't thank you enough, I'll be sure to pay it forward and find a way to help someone else.

Ok, this is too late to help, but I thought I'd answer anyway in case someone else finds this post whilst searching for the problem. Here's how to fix it:

Lithium batteries have protection against over-discharging, they do this by breaking the circuit if the voltage drops too low to prevent further drain. Unfortunately, once this has triggered, you can no longer put charge back into the battery because the battery is disconnected internally, so no matter how long you leave the phone on charge, it remains disconnected and flat.

You only need to get the voltage in the battery to raise a percent or two to reconnect the protection circuit so that it will charge again and you can do that by warming up the battery. You may get away with leaving the phone overnight in a very warm (hot) place, such as on top of a hot water tank, however a more efficient way is to remove the battery and heat it up until it's quite hot with a hairdryer on its hottest setting. Heat it for a good 5-10 mins so that the hear soaks right through the battery and it feels hot to the touch, this will raise the internal voltage enough to reconnect the protection circuit. Immediately reconnect the battery into the phone and put it on charge. After about 10-20 mins, enough charge should get back into the battery to fire up the phone and it'll come back to life.

I've done this a few times now on various different models and it always works. Hope it helps you.

mentallyblonde

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Made an account to say the blow dryer trick worked on my iphone 6. The phone had been charging for an hour, and would not turn on. I pulled it off the charger and flipped it over with my hair dryer on high. Heated it for less than 30 seconds and voila! Turned on the moment I put it back in the charger!! Thank you!!!!

bluensx

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
VFRWiz you're a genious. I did not have to open my iphone 5, i just took of the otterbox then used the hairdryer on it for about 2 minutes then hooked it up and it worked like new. Thank you very much!!!!

anna-staffa

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
Re: iPhone won't charge after battery drained!!a

My iphon 4s is doing the same I had it in charge all day yesterday and it got so far then drained itself when low battery pop up appeared

corhez

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
i have an iphone 7 and 2 days ago the battery died . ive been trying everything and nothing works , i even tried the blow dryer trick and still nothing. can someone please help me

corhez

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
Re: iPhone won't charge after battery drained!!a

i have an iphone 7 and 2 days ago the battery died . ive been trying everything and nothing works , i even tried the blow dryer trick and still nothing. can someone please help me

Laurie Pusateri

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
January 2017. My iPhone 6 did the same thing. Except my phone was showing 100% charged...then the red battery icon showed up and the phone wouldn't reboot. Multiple cords did nothing. Plugging it into my laptop didn't work. I put it on one of those warmed up microwaved gel heating pads for 2 minutes.... the apple icon showed up and it booted right up and it's working fine. So in spite of what some people are saying... it totally works.

moderatelychilly

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
VFRWiz, thank you so much!! February 2017 and your method still works. I made an account just to post this in case anyone else runs into this issue. I know many people are currently having battery problems, at least people I've talked to.

I have an iPhone 6 that is out of warranty and has been having battery drain issues since updating to iOS 10. I didn't get it fixed because spending $90 on a new battery when I'm going to be updating this fall seemed like a waste to me. I tried my best to make things work with my battery case, but it didn't last long. Last night it died and would not turn back on no matter what. I tried every single "fix" with no result. iTunes would not even show my phone when I connected it to my computer so I had no way of backing it up. I was about to call it quits and just go spend the money on a new battery when I found your post. I figured I had nothing to lose. And since there were so many positive responses I figured you weren't trolling and I prayed for the best.

I didn't take the battery out of my phone as I didn't want to mess it up even more. I just held the hairdryer a few inches away from the back of my phone for about 60 seconds and then immediately plugged it into my computer and it started up! I still have the battery drain issue, but I'm positive there's no fix for that one. At least now I can back up my phone and know what to do in case this happens again.

Thanks again! I now have all of my photos and messages saved!

jcant44

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
I can't believe it, but this worked for me! I have a teen son who has an IPhone 5 and was so miserable because of this issue and I couldn't afford to get him a new phone. I spent the whole day researching everything to fix it, trying to jailbreak my friends son's old phone and more researching with no success, until this thread!!!!!! Thank you so much! Happy kid=Happy Mom

madalinad

Aug 17, 2017
Visit site
VFRWiz: I also just registered now to say thank you! I actually have a Sony Xperia and after the battery was drained to 0, I've been desperately looking for a solution all day. I've browsed through thousands of posts, tried holding all buttons down in all possible combinations, and eventually started looking for prices for a new phone. My battery is at least 2 years old so it will probably need replacing, but because my phone was also overheating I was terrified there might be irreversible damage that would cause me to lose everything (from files to sensitive passwords and digital wallets which I could not recover).

I used a blow dryer for a few minutes on a low setting, then left my phone to charge and the Sony screen popped up not even 20 minutes after! I genuinely feel like crying right now, this is absolutely amazing. Thank you so, so much!

bluto764

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
As instructed on this thread, I took the case off my phone, plugged it into the charger, and rubbed it between my hands for about a minute- it worked! I now can't find the poster who recommended this solution but thank you!

iridium_blue

Jan 10, 2018
Visit site
Ok, this is too late to help, but I thought I'd answer anyway in case someone else finds this post whilst searching for the problem. Here's how to fix it:
I've done this a few times now on various different models and it always works. Hope it helps you.

You magnificent, magnificent ******* !

I just got a new (to me) iphone, but it the batt wouldn't take a charge. I used the electric heaters in my home, warmed them up till 110 or so degrees, laid the phone atop it, and in 3 minutes - hello new phone!

Sixtyfourthrealsize

Jan 1, 2019
Visit site
New Year's Day 2019 and the method worked with my precious old iPhone SE!! Thank you VFRWiz!! Registered just to report on the miracle and keep this thread going. Oh and Happy New Year's 2019 from Indonesia all!

Staying at in-laws' place for New Year's eve and fell asleep waiting for the 00:00 fireworks with the kids. It was in a really cold bedroom with the AC on full. Woke up the next day with the phone dead and after an hour charging still nothing but the red battery logo. Found this thread on the internet and decided to try the heat up method using a stove because I couldn't find any hairdryers in the house (and everybody still asleep). Held the phone screenside up about 12-15 inches above the stovetop for about 90 seconds while constantly checking to not overheat, then promptly plugged the phone to the electric socket, the red battery logo came up for a split second and then voila! the Apple logo suddenly appeared and phone is now charging as normal!

Just goes to show that simple science does work! Thanks again and I highly recommend this method if you ever happened to come across the same problem.

Plaster_Prince

Mar 5, 2019
Visit site
VFRWiz, you absolute legend; Its march 2019 this worked like magic on my Iphone 8 plus (I accidentally left it on a table in my Grandmothers unheated porch overnight in sub zero temperatures)

After 2 hours of charging it, nothing but the red battery logo.
I Panicked a bit, then went online, found this thread and thought gotta be worth a try, was sceptical that it may not work with newer Iphone models, but after blasting the back of the phone for about 1 minuet with a hairdryer I plunged the phone in and the apple logo appeared and it started charging.

Again VFRWiz thank you so much can certainly recommend this method.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR