Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

2 Posts

Default What is carried across when new iPhone 4S setup with backup of jailbroken iPhone 4

I had a jailbroken iPhone 4 (iOS 5.0.1) and ordered a new iPhone 4S (iOS 5.0.1).

Before setting up the new phone, I created a backup of the jailbroken iPhone 4 in iTunes then used that backup to setup my new iPhone 4S in iTunes.

I know apps installed through the jailbreak are not preserved, but is anything with the jailbreak carried across, specifically anything in iOS?
    iMore Genius

10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

Sometimes there are a few orphan files that just take up space. Usually best to just set up as new.
    iMore Genius

20,831 Posts
    Global Posts
    21,712 Global Posts

Did something similar... only issue I had was Navigon. Ended up deleting from the phone, and doing a full reinstall from app store.

Otherwise, restoring from backup preserved previous wifi hotspots, all the tweaks I had done in Settigns for device personalization... it all just worked as it was on the previous phone. Other than Navigon.
    iMore Genius

14,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,414 Global Posts

As Alli suggested it would be best to set up as a new phone, much cleaner that way and less of any chance of something going wrong.