iPhone 4S Hairline Crack

BrandonB

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Today I noticed a two inch fracture or hairline crack on the screen of my iPhone 4S.

Last week I dropped the phone from about 3 feet, at the time I did not notice anything. Only under sunlight or very bright mag light the crack can be seem. The phone has Zagg shield and apple bumper case. I do have the apple+ protection plan.

What I am seeking from you (those) who read this, is advice for what to do. Should I use my protection plan now and get it fixed immediately or wait to see what the crack does. It dose not seem to have any affect on the use of the phone. It does not distort or distract while using. Only noticeable when in sleep mode or off.
Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, I would wait it out. If there is nothing else wrong with the phone, ride it out and see it it gets worse. Worst case scenario, you do an swap later on rather than right now.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm kind of confused...if its just a hairline crack then you wont pay anything to get it replaced. So why wouldnt you??

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Does the hairline fracture bother you?

Personally I would replace it immediately. A dead pixel, a little dirt on the screen shield, a loose button, all of these things bother me, I would do anything to fix these. Anything screen wise drives me crazy more than anything else.

BrandonB

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I thank all of you for your support in this situation, It is the first time I have experienced a cracked screen with an iPhone. Did not happen to any of my others. (3g, 3gs, 4)

0pusX I was leaning towards the waiting idea, but was concerned because I do not want it to get worse.

Quis: It is a very fine and very difficult to see hairline crack, can only be seen at just the right angle. So fine it looks like a scratch, which it can not be because it has had Zagg shield since it came out of the box. If it was as simple as you say to get it replaced I would go to apple immediately. But if like 0pusX says since I have AC+ I do not want to use 1 of my accident replacements.

Bias X: The hairline does bother me, but it does not affect the use of the phone, it is really hard to see it when active. I agree, anything like you describe would bother me also.

I guess over all I was wondering if apple is as generous as some say when it comes to hairline cracks. I would like to have it fixed right away but I do not want to exhaust my options for repair or replacement this early.

Thank you again to all of you!

CUB1

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I had a hairline crack on my screen...it was about a inch long on the bottom left hand side of the screen. Ppl kept telling me to make a genius appt. to see if they would replace my 4s, well I made the appt. and came out with a new shiny 4s I didn't hav applecare and the phone was at least 4 months old.

It never hurts to try if u hav a Apple store near u to take it in to see what they say:D

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I had a hairline crack on my screen...it was about a inch long on the bottom left hand side of the screen. Ppl kept telling me to make a genius appt. to see if they would replace my 4s, well I made the appt. and came out with a new shiny 4s I didn't hav applecare and the phone was at least 4 months old.

It never hurts to try if u hav a Apple store near u to take it in to see what they say:D

You really were lucky that they replaced it for you. Initial reports were if you damaged you iPhone and didn't have AppleCare+, Apple would charge you the out of warranty cost to replace the damaged iPhone.

Reactions: rednocturne307

Apple Ifad

May 25, 2010
Visit site
If it were me I'd take it in and see what they say. If the only option was the $49 replacement id do it. Any scratch or crack would drive me nutty once I noticed it.

Fixxy

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
If the presence of the crack doesn't bother you and isn't noticeable during regular use I would wait it out until you really damage the phone as you will be charged a flat $49 not a variable fee based on how severe the damage is.

iLoveApple16

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd hold off until it becomes more serious. You only get 2 replacements and what if something worse happens to your phone down the line (heaven forbid)

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I would wait it out. If it took you that long to notice it, it can't be that bad. Wait until it really gets bad before you replace it.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73