"other" data

General Tso

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
When I sync my iPhone, I have 1.3 GB of "other" in yellow taking up space. I've searched on the net for an answer on what this is and have been unable to find an answer. Does anyone know? If so, how do I get rid of it.

Verizon iPhone 4S. 16 GB.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any recommendations for 9.5 GB of other data. I've been trying to fix my buddies iPhone for a week now.
I ran terminal and looked for anything over 100MB and only two things showed up.
We deleted all of the music, emails, and any cache we could find. I'm not exactly sure what else it could be.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any recommendations for 9.5 GB of other data. I've been trying to fix my buddies iPhone for a week now.
I ran terminal and looked for anything over 100MB and only two things showed up.
We deleted all of the music, emails, and any cache we could find. I'm not exactly sure what else it could be.

I'm not sure on this at all - you said you deleted all of your buddy's music, now I know album art could take up "other" depending on how much you apply from the music. I wonder could it be possible that the album art still remains even tho the music is deleted ??? Just a shot in the dark. I know I saw a thread floating around here somewhere on how to get rid of it but unfortunately I can't recall which forum section. Maybe trying a search for it will turn it up.

Also, I know it may not be possible to come close to the 9.5, but does your friend have a lot of contacts with pics assigned to them as well? That could be part of the culprit too....

G'luck, I hope you guys figure it out, and plz do share what the 9.5gb was !! I've never heard of so much taken up.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
What do you see when you go to settings ? General ? usage and look under the storage categories?

3.8 is available. 9.8 used. The largest thing is music at with 1.2 gb. Everything else is under a gig.

I'm not sure on this at all - you said you deleted all of your buddy's music, now I know album art could take up "other" depending on how much you apply from the music. I wonder could it be possible that the album art still remains even tho the music is deleted ??? Just a shot in the dark. I know I saw a thread floating around here somewhere on how to get rid of it but unfortunately I can't recall which forum section. Maybe trying a search for it will turn it up.

Also, I know it may not be possible to come close to the 9.5, but does your friend have a lot of contacts with pics assigned to them as well? That could be part of the culprit too....

G'luck, I hope you guys figure it out, and plz do share what the 9.5gb was !! I've never heard of so much taken up.
Yeah I've had mine jump up to 2 or 3 Gb before. Never have I seen it jump that high. We removed all album artwork when we put his music back on, ive been looking through ifile trying to find these that could be causing it. I freed up 3.5ish GB so far, he only had 600mb free when we started.
I'll have to look through his contacts see if that helps at all.

UPDATE: None of his contacts have any pictures. I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary when looking through ifile, but I wouldn't know what exactly to look for. I deleted his entire cache folder. Didn't help.
To the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Last edited:

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
This is probably obvious to you, but what do you mean by "everything else is under a gig"? Do you mean there are several items that are each less than 1 GB (say in the 500MB to 900MB range)? Or do you mean there is 1.2 GB of music, and the total of everything else adds up to less than 1 GB? Just trying to clarify.

The reason I ask is that this setting panel displays information differently than iTunes does for me. For instance, I have several photo and video apps and the app itself shows up as only 20 MB or so in iTunes, but in this setting panel on the phone it shows up a having 500MB of data because the app has photos and videos stored in it as associated data.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
All other apps are under a gig. To be more specific under 100 MB. I'm beginning to think its his music. When we deleted iTunes control>music from ifile it dropped his other to 7.7 gb. When he put his music back on it jumped back up to 9. All the while his music in iTunes and on settings on his phone stayed at 1.2GB.

cctpitts01

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
iOS itself and other related items.

But how could that be the IOS when you look to the left of the bar and it states that there is in fact 13g of space to work with? The other 3g is where the IOS is stored. I have had this same issue and don't understand why I cannot find anything online about cause at one time mine showed 3.2 gb other and could not figure out what the hell was taking up more more space then my music.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk