Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Default 4s overheating

Lately I have been having an issue with my phone heating up, it seems to head up when I have it plugged in to the stereo in my car and am running pandora. Today, while running pandora throughout the stereo my phone shut off and I got a temperature warning stating that I needed to let the phone cool before I could even use it again. Any ideas? thanks in advance
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,887 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Idea. Take it to Apple.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yep, take that bad boy into your local Apple store.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    iOS Version

like others have said take that in for a replacement.

i use my 4S with Pandora in my car and have taken many road trips where Pandora is playing for a good 12+ hours at a time while and having the GPS running with no overheat issues... To be quite honest the phone barely warms up at all.
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

My 4S barely warms up even after playing graphical games for 30 minutes or so. Play a good resource-intensive game and then take it to the Store. Show them how hot the device is right then.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Sounds like an overheating battery issue. Easy fix to do yourself, but I'd take it to the Apple store as it should be covered under the manufacturer warranty.

Global Posts
    12,118 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by lm546 View Post
    Lately I have been having an issue with my phone heating up, it seems to head up when I have it plugged in to the stereo in my car and am running pandora. Today, while running pandora throughout the stereo my phone shut off and I got a temperature warning stating that I needed to let the phone cool before I could even use it again. Any ideas? thanks in advance
    Plugged in for audio... what about power?

You could be using a power supply in the car that is providing too much amperage to the phone, causing heat. Trying a different power supply might cool things down.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    937 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I would say heating up for smartphones regardless is Apple or not is pretty normal. Warm feeling yes especially when charging or using the phone heavily. However, if the heat is too hot to bear, then it could be heating issues.

Just my cents.