Phone says 4G now

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I just updated to 5.1

My phone now says 4G. Is this LTE ?

NO. It's AT&T's marketing department screwing with you.

the 4G displayed on any current model as of the date of this posting iPhone is NOT LTE.

Let's say that again: It's NOT LTE.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
it's their HSPA+ network, so it's not technically 4G, just 3.5G

Agreed. At&t is marketing this since their DL speeds in most areas kill VZN and Sprint. All other phones on the market that use HSPA+ market them as 4G so why not the At&t iPhone 4S. I dont blame them at all for doing this.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I do. It's deception, bordering on deliberate dishonesty.

I don't care what the indicator says. As long as I continue to get 5.5 to 8 Mbps DL and 3 upload, they can call it what they want. I have yet to see a Vzn or Sprint iPhone compare. Then maybe Vzn and Sprint should call theirs 2.5G for having subpar 3G speeds since some don't think HSPA+ is 4G.

Reactions: BreakingKayfabe

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Is anyone actually pulling HSPA+ speeds? I updated my brother's 4S for him last night and his now also says "4G" while my 4 says 3G. But when I run speed test we get exactly the same speeds. We have the same signal strength as well. I really don't get the deal with the 4S and it supposedly working on AT&T's faster 3G network because I've not seen it.

Garz, I have pulled down those speeds on my 4 in some spots in DC and northern VA. At my home it's around 3.5Mbps down and 0.8 up.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Is anyone actually pulling HSPA+ speeds? I updated my brother's 4S for him last night and his now also says "4G" while my 4 says 3G. But when I run speed test we get exactly the same speeds. We have the same signal strength as well. I really don't get the deal with the 4S and it supposedly working on AT&T's faster 3G network because I've not seen it.

Garz, I have pulled down those speeds on my 4 in some spots in DC and northern VA. At my home it's around 3.5Mbps down and 0.8 up.

Some areas will run faster than others. Here are a couple of samples to show I do get those speeds.

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Is it safe to say that most people will get faster speeds than before the update? (regardless what the true technical name for this is)

I ask because I am weighing the choices of breaking my jailbreak for faster OTA bandwidth.
I previously had a Pre3 on ATT that got H+ and it was pretty fast.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Is it safe to say that most people will get faster speeds than before the update? (regardless what the true technical name for this is)

I ask because I am weighing the choices of breaking my jailbreak for faster OTA bandwidth.
I previously had a Pre3 on ATT that got H+ and it was pretty fast.

No speeds are the same. Still runs on same network. Just carrier data indicator changed.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
AT&T is really mucking this up. I thought their HSPA+ (what they call 4G) was faster than their HSDPA 7.2 "3G" network. But it appears it really isn't.

What network is my iPhone 4 getting these speeds on? I regularly get that speed in DC now.

rrigters93

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Spoke to a tech rep and the 4G icon is only a cosmetic change and nothing else. It's nice to show off to friends that you now have 4G speed with that "NEW" icon but nothing has changed.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Spoke to a tech rep and the 4G icon is only a cosmetic change and nothing else. It's nice to show off to friends that you now have 4G speed with that "NEW" icon but nothing has changed.

Yea, some other sites have a write about it.

I still am not sure of the whole thing. I thought the HSPA+ network was much faster than it appears to be, in theory around 21Mbps but real world around 12-14Mbps. And that the 4S did not actually run on it because it maxes out at HSDPA 14.4 (yes technially HSPA+) which AT&T does not have; but carriers in Canada and Europe do. Also because I've tested in many locations and the 4 and 4S always get the same download speeds and amount of signal bars every where I've tested. That suggest to me that they are both downloading on the same pipes. The upload speeds are always faster; the 4 maxes at around 800kbps every where.

But it appears from videos on youtube even Android phones are topping out at just below 8Mbps on AT&T's HSPA+ network.

Steve28

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Here's the deal:

- every phone that AT&T and tmobile sold that had HSPA+ were being marketed as "4G". Whether you agree with this or not, that's what was happening. Tmobiles advertised "4g" network - its HSPA+.

- the iPhone was the only phone they sold that was HSPA+ that didn't show it was on a '4g' network.

- this update did nothing more than change the indicator to show '4G' if the phone was getting an HSPA+ signal. It would show 3G if your in non HSPA+ area and E as before if you are in a 2G area.

The change (a t the request of att) as simply to make it consistent with the rest of their line and the completions practices.

It seems that phones which get 4G LTE will have some indicator that will be different than "4G"