Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Default So my wife threw her iPhone at me...

A few weeks back, my wife threw her iPhone 4S at me in a fit of rage. Her case shattered, but amazingly the phone looked fine. Well since then, we've been noticing a lot of glitches. Sometimes the call screen won't go away after a call ends. Facebook shows alert badges but won't show what they're for. And tonight, when trying to download some apps it said it "couldn't connect to iTunes". So I have three questions:

1) Could these be symptoms of an unseen, internal injury resulting from the phone's short yet disastrous flight?

2) If so, would the geniuses be able to tell what happened through a software diagnosis? (accelerometer memory or something?)

3) If so, would a full restore wipe any such evidence?
    iPhone Experts

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Most geniuses are pretty cool. If you're honest, you might just be surprised and get lucky. Maybe say it slipped?! Lol
    iMore Intermediate

Sometimes my phone does that, too. The Facebook one is kind of a pain, since I can't get rid of the badge.

I wouldn't think that it's poor treatment would cause these problems. If there was anything physically wrong with the phone, the problems would likely be much more severe, like random reboots, or the GPS not working.

Restarting the phone might help, as would restoring it.

I don't think that Apple is acting on these things, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it turned out that impacts were logged and uploaded somewhere. The hardware definately supports this, and the data would have real value if collected from the phones and compiled. They just submitted an application for a patent that kind of does the same thing, but with moisture sensors. The data could certainly fall in the diagnostic data that they ask permission for when you set your phone up.

By the way, what case was it? It sounds like it did its job well.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,813 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I doubt that would cause that but maybe try a restart hold home and power or maybe a restore

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    iPhone Intermediate

I hope she was trying to download an anger management app.
    Me: 32gb 4S White
    Wifey: 32gb 4S White
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    5??

Wow. I'd throw just about anything before I'd toss my precious iPhone! Take it to an apple store and say you dropped it!
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanbam View Post
    By the way, what case was it? It sounds like it did its job well.
    It was a glittery pink Incase slip-on. Needless to say, I was impressed with its protection.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    937 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Just go the the genius bar and be honest. My girlfriends phone got ran over and it was out of warranty and they gave her a replacement for free.

Via Tapatalk
    Twitter: @vietalogy
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,370 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by idkmybffjill View Post
    A few weeks back, my wife threw her iPhone 4S at me in a fit of rage. Her case shattered, but amazingly the phone looked fine. Well since then, we've been noticing a lot of glitches. Sometimes the call screen won't go away after a call ends. Facebook shows alert badges but won't show what they're for. And tonight, when trying to download some apps it said it "couldn't connect to iTunes". So I have three questions:

1) Could these be symptoms of an unseen, internal injury resulting from the phone's short yet disastrous flight?

2) If so, would the geniuses be able to tell what happened through a software diagnosis? (accelerometer memory or something?)

They will see crash logs from the iPhone. But as long as there is no evidence of physical damage on the outside those shouldn't matter. You could just restore it as new and then take it in saying it's having problems. In either case there is a >99% chance they will replace it for you as long as you are in warranty.

IMO your bigger issue should be keeping your wife from throwing her iPhone at you in the future.
    paul-c and Jessicalt1 like this.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

I dropped my iPhone 3GS several times (cracked the screen a bit too) and after several drops, I couldn't hear people when they'd call, my volume wouldn't work, I couldn't hear notifications even though the volume was on. I assumed it was because of dropping it several times and wiggling something loose. My issues centered around the volume and speakers.
    "Women who strive to be equal to men lack ambition." - Anonymous

Follow me on Twitter!
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    IMO your bigger issue should be keeping your wife from throwing her iPhone at you in the future.
    Yeah I'm looking into getting her medicated.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

^This, lol!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk.
    George Carlin said it best:

Religion is mind control. Atheism is a non-prophet organization
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts

Give her things that won't break when thrown... like kitchen knives.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    937 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by isdaako View Post
    Give her things that won't break when thrown... like kitchen knives.
    Or pots and pans.

Via Tapatalk
    Twitter: @vietalogy
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,095 Global Posts

Wow! She should stick to the tried-and-true frying pan method of husband correction instead! LOL! Seriously, if you say she threw it they may tell you to take a hike because it was intentional damage.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Sorry, but I was obligated to file a report with CPS (Communications Protective Services). The county should be knocking on your door at any moment now to remove your iPhones from the house and put them into protective foster care......
    USAF, Ret

PLEASE!!!! Don't text and drive...
    You'll be saving lives... including your own...
    Jessicalt1 and hydrogen3 like this.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Motorbones View Post
    Sorry, but I was obligated to file a report with CPS (Communications Protective Services). The county should be knocking on your door at any moment now to remove your iPhones from the house and put them into protective foster care......
    I guess we'll just have to settle with Nokias.
    iMore Intermediate

LMFAO...........you are too much. very good !!!!!
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

1. Yes

2. Maybe

3. No
    A GOAL without a PLAN is only a WISH.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,378 Global Posts

Global Posts
    1,713 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Ctfu!!!! The poor kids!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    32GB iPhone 5S 32GB iPhone 5 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,614 Global Posts

So... I gots ta know.

Did she hit her target?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

1.) She threw the phone at you, so it's her problem now.

2.) She attempted domestic assault, so it's her problem now.

3.) She broke her little gossip machine, so it's her problem now.

I'm saying this because if the OP had started "So my husband threw his iphone at me last night", the thread following would be littered with man bashing... Domestic violence goes both ways, and because she became the physical aggressor.... let her figure out how to fix it.

And there have already been some other helpful posts here to further enable her explosive behavior.
    No one cares what phones/computers/tablets you are using, or in which order you got them.... so stop listing.
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
    So... I gots ta know.

Did she hit her target?
    Thankfully, no. The wall was not so lucky though.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by SayntJ View Post
    1.) She threw the phone at you, so it's her problem now.

2.) She attempted domestic assault, so it's her problem now.

3.) She broke her little gossip machine, so it's her problem now.

I'm saying this because if the OP had started "So my husband threw his iphone at me last night", the thread following would be littered with man bashing... Domestic violence goes both ways, and because she became the physical aggressor.... let her figure out how to fix it.

And there have already been some other helpful posts here to further enable her explosive behavior.
    Bah. My wife has thrown things at me when I've gotten her REALLY fired up, but it only happened in the first two years of our now twenty-year marriage. Admittedly, I knew I should have stopped turning her knobs so much each time it happened.

Nobody here except the OP knows exactly what happened, and the OP doesn't seem very concerned. Lots of jokes are going around. Nobody needs to call the cops. Let's be adults here, and realize that sometimes things get heated between married couples and don't need to be labeled "domestic assault" every time something gets broken.

I'm not trivializing abuse, because I realize how serious it can be, but I've seen this get completely overblown with a close friend. His wife was on the phone with her mother while she was arguing with him, so her mom called the police. Nobody got hurt - the argument didn't even get phyical, her mom didn't like the way he was banging on the door - but the cops hauled him away to spend the night in jail. They ended up spending thousands of dollars on fines and classes, and the original argument was based on money trouble to begin with. The incident also prevented him from entering the career that he was going to start after graduating in a couple of months. They still haven't completely recovered financially from that night.

I kinda agree about the "her problem" part, though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast