eBay 4S purchase and AppleCare+

asuprice

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased a 4S on eBay that is still factory sealed. Can I take that into an apple store and purchase AppleCare+ for it if I don't open the box?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
You have 30 days to add it on. If not done at the time of purchase, you must make a genius bar appt and bring original store receipt from where you bought it. So the answer is no you can't. You can only get regular Apple Care now.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I would say it depends on whether or not its new. If you the phone is still sealed in the box and you have your ebay purchase showing it was new you could always make the argument that its new. Its always worth a try.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased a 4S on eBay that is still factory sealed. Can I take that into an apple store and purchase AppleCare+ for it if I don't open the box?

I am sure that everyone is correct although I thought there was only Applecare + now but to confirm why don't you just call Apple and ask them to confirm your situation and ask for Applecare when you call them.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
If you're like me and you swap phones the second a new one comes out, then don't worry about it and just try to take as good care of it as you can. You've got an incredible 1 year warranty from Apple and GREAT customer service. The only thing major that AppleCare+ provides (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is the extra year of the warranty and two swaps for any breakage/accidental damage, no matter what, for $49 each. I got mine on eBay too and tried to do it, but they said no dice because it was over 30 days after the original purchase. They didn't say anything about an original receipt because they can check when it was purchased.

You have a year from purchase date to get regular AppleCare for $69 which I believe is just an extension of their warranty for an additional year.

Next iPhone I get I will make sure to get AppleCare+ when I buy it. Just in case. It's definitely worth it for the accidental damage coverage.

asuprice

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I took it in today and told them I got it off of ebay and they said it didn't matter as long as it was within the 30 days. It was 12 days since the purchase date, so I have my applecare+. Hope this helps people in the future. Apple with A++++ customer service as always

cheech73

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a 4S off eBay which is definitely not 30 days young, maybe a few months. you are saying no dice that i cant get apple care? what about Square Trade? do the same rules apply. or am i stuck with a phone with no insurance?

Xo.pink.xo

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes you can purchase apple Care + if you bought the phone off eBay brand new, if your within your 30 days , you can even purchase it over the phone. Apple can even tell you where the phone was previously purchased from just by giving them the serial number .

*Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk*

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77