What do you use to clean the speakers?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any magic tricks for cleaning the speakers/earpiece on your phone? I like to keep mine clean and gunk free, so I take it out of the Commuter every couple of weeks for a freshen up. I've noticed the speakers and earpiece end up with some dust/dirt/gunk in them. I try to get most of it out with canned air, but I also use a very small amount of rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip to clean out the rest. Is this an OK thing to do? Or is there a better and safer way to clean them out? I'm just a little worried that the rubbing alcohol is going to be bad for it in the long run.

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I use a soft artists paint brush. A friend of mine used the canned air method and it messed up the speaker. He was able to exchange it at the Apple store. Be VERY careful with canned air.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I use a soft artists paint brush. A friend of mine used the canned air method and it messed up the speaker. He was able to exchange it at the Apple store. Be VERY careful with canned air.

What happened with the canned air? I use it from a distance and in short bursts to try to avoid any damage.

I like the artist's brush idea too.

Thanks for the response!

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've read that you can blow dust, etc into the phone as a result using the canned air.

Yeah, that's why I just do a quick once over just to clean it up a little. I might avoid doing it from now on. It's got me a little paranoid.

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I have been a photojournalist for over 25 years and have used the canned air on my cameras and lenses. The main thing to remember is to keep it away from the phone when using it. Don't use it up close to it. Don't ever shake the can of air or turn it upside down. That will result in the coolant to come out and it will freeze whatever you are trying to clean. Keep it upright and a safe distance from the area of the phone you are trying to clean off. In my earlier post, my friend not only damaged the speaker but it sounds like he froze it up too. Just be very careful when using canned air. I just use a Mohair artist brush. Very soft and gets the dust off. hope this is helpful to everyone.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. That's the exact reason why I use the canned air at a distance and in short bursts. To limit the force and the chance for it to freeze. I've never had that problem when using it to clean my phone. I was more worried about using a little bit of rubbing alcohol on the speakers and earpiece. I use just a little bit on the tip of the Q-Tip, and it dries really fast, so I didn't think it would cause any issues (as I haven't had any so far), but I want to make sure I'm not causing any long term effects.

Thanks again for the advice. I think I'll pick up an artist's brush soon to do my cleaning. And leave the air for cleaning the dust off the case.

jayshock

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
I had this problem shortly after my AppleCare coverage had expired for my iPad Air. I noticed my device was not amplifying music like it normally does...i expect it someone came in contact with a spilled beverage, likely a soft drink. I wasn't aware that my coverage had expired, so I didn't deal with it immediately. I was very disappointed when I realized I couldn't simply have it replaced at no cost.

Skeptically, I tried a new toothbrush, soft bristles, completely dry, no toothpaste or anything else.. I gave the speaker grills a careful but thorough cleaning, and I was surprised how effective it was.. Not 100%, but not too bad for a 2 dollar toothbrush. Thanks to ModeratorOMD who posted this in 2012.

Last edited:

UI Guy

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried heat? I've got not just dust but gunky stuff in my speaker grills on my iPhone 6s. What about using a *dry* heat source (e.g., small microwavable gel pack)… heat it up (not too hot), put something absorbent on the heated source, prop the iPhone vertically with the speakers facing down (so they can "drain"), and let it sit. I'm trying this now, so I'll try to post again to let people know how it worked.
(I may try the toothbrush route next, but the stuff in my grills is so gunky that I was afraid I'd push it further into the speaker housing.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro