Email Crashing When Trying To Send

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
About 10 minutes ago my email started messing up on me. Everytime I try to respond to an email, the second I hit "send" it crashes and doesn't send my email, and sends me back to my homescreen. I force closed the email app. I've rebooted the phone, and still nothing. Can someone help me figure out what's going on with this thing? Thanks!

Oh, and I'm running stock.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
You can try deleting your email account in Settings and reinstalling it. See if that takes care of the problem.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, I tried that, and I tried resetting the network settings. Nothing. BUT I did discover that it was only crashing when trying to send to one particular recipient. It works to everyone else. Does anyone know a reason why it was just crashing when sending to one person? That's the really weird part to me.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, only idea i can think of, is perhaps the person your sending to - their email server is having an issue and it won't let it receive on their end ?? :confused: IDK if thats possible, but just an idea that popped into my head.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have no clue. I'm hoping that someone can figure it out for me. I've never seen an issue like this before. And I've found no real answer to it. It's very strange.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
yea, i've never heard of this type of issue either. Hopefully someone will have some answer for you

Thanks, I appreciate it! I've searched, I've asked my resident Apple tech buddy, and we've got no answer whatsoever. Hopefully someone here, in their infinite wisdom, could help.

It's not so much an issue right this second, because I went ahead and emailed him from my computer, but I don't want it to be an ongoing issue. That's my only real worry.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I appreciate it! I've searched, I've asked my resident Apple tech buddy, and we've got no answer whatsoever. Hopefully someone here, in their infinite wisdom, could help.

It's not so much an issue right this second, because I went ahead and emailed him from my computer, but I don't want it to be an ongoing issue. That's my only real worry.

yes, i understand what you mean. if your out and need to email this person and this issue persists that could be a problem. At least you had your comp on hand to email for now.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
yes, i understand what you mean. if your out and need to email this person and this issue persists that could be a problem. At least you had your comp on hand to email for now.

Yep. That's my problem. What if I'm really needing to respond to an email and it won't? I'd love to know how to troubleshoot that for later on down the line.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Here's an update: it only crashes (so far) when emailing to one guy. And only when responding to his emails from his Skyrocket (Samsung Android phone). I wonder why that's the culprit? You'd think Apple and Samsung could play nice for once.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Delete that contact and add them back. It has nothing to do with what phone the person is using. Pure coincidence.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well it's not a contact, per se. It was someone I was working on a deal with for a tablet. He's not someone I have saved as a contact. But yeah, I can respond to an email from him, as long as it's one from his computer and not his phone. But it's the same email address. And even when it's from the same thread. It just happened. It's the weirdest thing.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Well it's not a contact, per se. It was someone I was working on a deal with for a tablet. He's not someone I have saved as a contact. But yeah, I can respond to an email from him, as long as it's one from his computer and not his phone. But it's the same email address. And even when it's from the same thread. It just happened. It's the weirdest thing.

Is there some sort of weird attachment in the emails?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Not that I know of. The only thing that's different about them is that the ones from his phone say "Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S? II Skyrocket?, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone." at the end of his message.

Well an email is a email regardless where it comes from. There is no reason why one particular email address would crash the app. At least none that I have ever seen or heard of. You've tried emailing other addresses with no issue? Have you killed the mail app and restarted it? Etc...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Actually one thing to take a look at - it could be the way mail distinguishes between SMTP server settings.

Go to the Settings app, and select "Mail, Contacts, Calendar". Choose your account and select the SMTP setting (under the "Outgoing Mail Server" section). You should see a list of servers. Take a look at that list: There should be the one SMTP server for each email account. If there is more, delete your mail account and add it back.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Actually one thing to take a look at - it could be the way mail distinguishes between SMTP server settings.

Go to the Settings app, and select "Mail, Contacts, Calendar". Choose your account and select the SMTP setting (under the "Outgoing Mail Server" section). You should see a list of servers. Take a look at that list: There should be the one SMTP server for each email account. If there is more, delete your mail account and add it back.

Well I force closed it, rebooted the phone, reset network settings, and no dice. I also just looked at the settings, and couldn't find the SMTP info. It's a gmail account, I don't know if that makes a difference.

I knew this was a weird scenario. Thanks for your help tonight, too. I appreciate it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Well I force closed it, rebooted the phone, reset network settings, and no dice. I also just looked at the settings, and couldn't find the SMTP info. It's a gmail account, I don't know if that makes a difference.

I knew this was a weird scenario. Thanks for your help tonight, too. I appreciate it.

No problem. If you haven't tried deleting the email account try that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro