Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,460 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Do Verizon iPhone 4S use SIM cards?

If so, where is it kept at?

Can I access it?

If I currently have a Verizon 4G MICRO SIM card, can I use that?

Thanks!!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Yes, it does, however, the SIM is only good for international travel and will not work here in the US. The SIM slot is located on the side of the 4S. Also, I believe you have to use the Micro SIM that comes with the 4S, but I'm not positive.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    Thanked by:
    0pusX (02-10-2012)

Global Posts
    11,434 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If unlocked, the GSM functionality of the Verizon iPhone4S can be used with any overseas provider... it will still be locked for North American GSM providers.

A Verizon4G sim will be of no use in an iPhone4S.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    0pusX (02-10-2012)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Quick question related to the Verizon 4S SIM...

I did get my 4S unlocked by Verizon and was able to use a Telcel Mico SIM from Mexico in the phone. However, is there a way to keep a global SIM in the phone that is NOT Verizon's but keep the phone working as CDMA through the Verizon Carrier service? It seems like there is a check for the Verizon SIM even if it is not being used in the US.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Global Posts
    11,434 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I don't know if the Verizon iPhone4S will default to CDMA if an active SIM is present or not... Try Settings> Carrier with a sim in and see what you get...
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    I don't know if the Verizon iPhone4S will default to CDMA if an active SIM is present or not... Try Settings> Carrier with a sim in and see what you get...
    That was actually the first thing I tried to do but because Telcel partners with AT&T and Tmobile in the USA it only gives me those as Carrier options. Verizon is not an option.

Global Posts
    11,434 Global Posts
    iOS Version

With the Telcel sim in, does the phone say Verizon next to the signal bars??
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    With the Telcel sim in, does the phone say Verizon next to the signal bars??
    Nope. It says AT&T when I am in the USA.

Global Posts
    11,434 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Looks like we've found the answer... A Verizon iPhone does not default to CDMA when there's an active GSM sim from an international provider in the phone that can connect to a roaming partner of said GSM provider... good to know.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Do Verizon iPhone 4S use SIM cards?

I have a question concerning the iphone and straight talk service.
    I am interested in having an iphone on the straight talk service, but i am not willing to pay for one from them because it is $600.
    If i was to get an iphone previously owned that had been on a different carrier (at&t or verizon) and have it jail broken could it be used on the straight talk service?
    You can buy a sim card through straight talk to be used on a phone...
    Does the iphone verizon wireless uses allow access to the sim card, can it even be changed?
    Or could I like call straight talk and say "hey i have an unlocked verizon phone, this is the ID numbers for it... blah blah blah.." and let them activate it WITHOUT their sim card?
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Brittany,

I am not sure how it works with AT&T but with Verizon, even though the phone is "Unlocked" you are still not able to convert to other USA carriers. You can only swap with carriers outside the USA. Also, this is ONLY related to GSM because CDMA on a Verizon phone does not use the Mico-SIM. On a Verizon phone it will always default to the CDMA within the USA, no matter which SIM you put into the phone.

One more thing I will mention is that as of 1/26/2013 it is a criminal offense to unlock/jailbreak your phone to another carrier within the USA.

Again, you might want to verify the above but that is how I believe it works with Verizon.

Hope that helps! Good Luck!
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by asggold View Post
    Brittany,

One more thing I will mention is that as of 1/26/2013 it is a criminal offense to unlock/jailbreak your phone to another carrier within the USA.
    That is if you don't go through your carrier to unlock it but you can still unlock if you call your carrier for the unlock code.
    Twitter: @jsclifton19
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Do Verizon iPhone 4S use SIM cards?

I was thinking about trying the R-sim7 adapter for a straight talk sim in my Verizon 4s. Has anyone had luck with that setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone Nanite

I don't know if you've found your answers or if this is even relevant anymore. For straight talk,
    they offer plans on both the GSM ( AT&T/T-Mobile ) and CDMA ( Verizon, Sprint ) networks.
    So that will come down to a few things, mostly your opinion of who has the better network.
    As far as I know, and from what I've read, Verizon, and Sprint are rather anal about their
    phones and their networks. Verizon phones will default to Verizon as a carrier regardless of
    sim used. So a straight talk sim would be useless while anywhere near verizon coverage.

The GSM phones are much easier to manipulate because of the GSM/Sim card relationship.
    It is illegal to unlock your devices 3rd party. It is NOT illegal to have AT&T unlock your device.
    I've done in a number of times using a 3rd party provider, paying 5 - 10 USD$ who
    then goes to the deviced carrier and has them unlock it. In my case I've used iPhone 3GS
    for this purpose, and all I needed to do was wait 24hrs then place a T-Mobil sim card in the
    device, access iTunes, and poof the phone is unlocked and can be used with any GSM sim
    on the planet. Yay.

In regards to you Brittany. My suggestion is IF you can find a used iPhone on ebay that is
    in pristine working condition, that is everything works as it should. Disregard the cosmetics.
    Cases can be purchased to cover an "ugly" device. Then find one from AT&T, get the straight
    talk sim package on-line or whatever retailer near you has them. Put up the minimal cost to
    unlock it, (wouldn't pay more than 10) wait 24-48 hrs for whatever service you used to e-mail
    you back. Pop in the sim card as per email instructions and there you go. An unlocked iDevice
    usable with any GSM sim/network. If you do not care about the technology I know for a fact
    that you can purchase an iPhone 3GS already factory unlocked on ebay for under 150.
    iPhone Nanite

I just wanted to say it is NOT illegal to jailbreak/root a phone. It is only illegal to unlock a phone bought after a certain date. I think it is in February. But if you take it to the carrier or Apple Store you can unlock it legally. The only reason the government did that in the us is because people were getting subsidized phones (signing a two year agreement) and going and unlocking their phones. As I understand say Verizon can't lock the ESN from being activated somewhere else. People were breaking contracts and selling phones. And jail breaking and unlocking are two different things. Jail breaking your phone dose not unlock it and unlocking your phone doesn't jail break it. Also take the sim out of your Verizon iPhone 4 or 4s... It won't do anything. And actually it's a good idea if you go international and don't plan to use. Except for LTE, Verizon uses SIM cards for international customers. Actually if you have a Verizon iPhone 4 or 4s it comes shipped with a sim. Mostly because CDMA is not global.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Adding in - Verizon won't activate a phone that they sell on their network. If you bring in a Sprint phone to Verizon won't activate it since they sell it.

That was my understanding at least.

Sent from my iPhone so don't expect Tolstoy
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently