Do Verizon iPhone 4S use SIM cards?

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If so, where is it kept at?

Can I access it?

If I currently have a Verizon 4G MICRO SIM card, can I use that?

Thanks!!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it does, however, the SIM is only good for international travel and will not work here in the US. The SIM slot is located on the side of the 4S. Also, I believe you have to use the Micro SIM that comes with the 4S, but I'm not positive.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Reactions: 0pusX

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If unlocked, the GSM functionality of the Verizon iPhone4S can be used with any overseas provider... it will still be locked for North American GSM providers.

A Verizon4G sim will be of no use in an iPhone4S.

Reactions: 0pusX

asggold

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Quick question related to the Verizon 4S SIM...

I did get my 4S unlocked by Verizon and was able to use a Telcel Mico SIM from Mexico in the phone. However, is there a way to keep a global SIM in the phone that is NOT Verizon's but keep the phone working as CDMA through the Verizon Carrier service? It seems like there is a check for the Verizon SIM even if it is not being used in the US.

Any ideas? Thanks!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if the Verizon iPhone4S will default to CDMA if an active SIM is present or not... Try Settings> Carrier with a sim in and see what you get...

asggold

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if the Verizon iPhone4S will default to CDMA if an active SIM is present or not... Try Settings> Carrier with a sim in and see what you get...

That was actually the first thing I tried to do but because Telcel partners with AT&T and Tmobile in the USA it only gives me those as Carrier options. Verizon is not an option.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Looks like we've found the answer... A Verizon iPhone does not default to CDMA when there's an active GSM sim from an international provider in the phone that can connect to a roaming partner of said GSM provider... good to know.

Brittany Tiarra

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a question concerning the iphone and straight talk service.
I am interested in having an iphone on the straight talk service, but i am not willing to pay for one from them because it is $600.
If i was to get an iphone previously owned that had been on a different carrier (at&t or verizon) and have it jail broken could it be used on the straight talk service?
You can buy a sim card through straight talk to be used on a phone...
Does the iphone verizon wireless uses allow access to the sim card, can it even be changed?
Or could I like call straight talk and say "hey i have an unlocked verizon phone, this is the ID numbers for it... blah blah blah.." and let them activate it WITHOUT their sim card?

asggold

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Brittany,

I am not sure how it works with AT&T but with Verizon, even though the phone is "Unlocked" you are still not able to convert to other USA carriers. You can only swap with carriers outside the USA. Also, this is ONLY related to GSM because CDMA on a Verizon phone does not use the Mico-SIM. On a Verizon phone it will always default to the CDMA within the USA, no matter which SIM you put into the phone.

One more thing I will mention is that as of 1/26/2013 it is a criminal offense to unlock/jailbreak your phone to another carrier within the USA.

Again, you might want to verify the above but that is how I believe it works with Verizon.

Hope that helps! Good Luck!

jclif

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Brittany,

One more thing I will mention is that as of 1/26/2013 it is a criminal offense to unlock/jailbreak your phone to another carrier within the USA.

That is if you don't go through your carrier to unlock it but you can still unlock if you call your carrier for the unlock code.

Rodney Zimmerman

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you've found your answers or if this is even relevant anymore. For straight talk,
they offer plans on both the GSM ( AT&T/T-Mobile ) and CDMA ( Verizon, Sprint ) networks.
So that will come down to a few things, mostly your opinion of who has the better network.
As far as I know, and from what I've read, Verizon, and Sprint are rather anal about their
phones and their networks. Verizon phones will default to Verizon as a carrier regardless of
sim used. So a straight talk sim would be useless while anywhere near verizon coverage.

The GSM phones are much easier to manipulate because of the GSM/Sim card relationship.
It is illegal to unlock your devices 3rd party. It is NOT illegal to have AT&T unlock your device.
I've done in a number of times using a 3rd party provider, paying 5 - 10 USD$ who
then goes to the deviced carrier and has them unlock it. In my case I've used iPhone 3GS
for this purpose, and all I needed to do was wait 24hrs then place a T-Mobil sim card in the
device, access iTunes, and poof the phone is unlocked and can be used with any GSM sim
on the planet. Yay.

In regards to you Brittany. My suggestion is IF you can find a used iPhone on ebay that is
in pristine working condition, that is everything works as it should. Disregard the cosmetics.
Cases can be purchased to cover an "ugly" device. Then find one from AT&T, get the straight
talk sim package on-line or whatever retailer near you has them. Put up the minimal cost to
unlock it, (wouldn't pay more than 10) wait 24-48 hrs for whatever service you used to e-mail
you back. Pop in the sim card as per email instructions and there you go. An unlocked iDevice
usable with any GSM sim/network. If you do not care about the technology I know for a fact
that you can purchase an iPhone 3GS already factory unlocked on ebay for under 150.

Devin Bitz

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to say it is NOT illegal to jailbreak/root a phone. It is only illegal to unlock a phone bought after a certain date. I think it is in February. But if you take it to the carrier or Apple Store you can unlock it legally. The only reason the government did that in the us is because people were getting subsidized phones (signing a two year agreement) and going and unlocking their phones. As I understand say Verizon can't lock the ESN from being activated somewhere else. People were breaking contracts and selling phones. And jail breaking and unlocking are two different things. Jail breaking your phone dose not unlock it and unlocking your phone doesn't jail break it. Also take the sim out of your Verizon iPhone 4 or 4s... It won't do anything. And actually it's a good idea if you go international and don't plan to use. Except for LTE, Verizon uses SIM cards for international customers. Actually if you have a Verizon iPhone 4 or 4s it comes shipped with a sim. Mostly because CDMA is not global.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Adding in - Verizon won't activate a phone that they sell on their network. If you bring in a Sprint phone to Verizon won't activate it since they sell it.

That was my understanding at least.

Sent from my iPhone so don't expect Tolstoy

Tyray Scott

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
I have a question everyone. I have a Verizon iPhone 4 and i would like to know if i have to purchase a Verizon sim card in order for me to use a Verizon phone card? Can anyone answer this? Thanks

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a question everyone. I have a Verizon iPhone 4 and i would like to know if i have to purchase a Verizon sim card in order for me to use a Verizon phone card? Can anyone answer this? Thanks
The Verizon iteration of the iPhone4 has no sim whatsoever.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73