4s screen clarity vs android screens.

bhappy11

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
So I was at the AT&T store yesterday checking out phones.

See I am currently with Sprint.. I have been having alot of issues. Network errors, very very slow basicalyy dial up data speeds (003 mbs at times), dropped calls, or very garvled call quality. Then there is the phone going into roam all of a sudden... So the wife and I decided time to look for another carrier.

We both have androids now me the evo and the wife the evo shift.
So thats the back story..

So I was playing with the phones. The sales rep was very helpful and very knowledgeable.

I have it down to the galaxy skyrocket or the I-phone 4S.
I really have never spent alot of time with the iphone..
The screen is amazing. But I have always thought it to be too small.
But the interesting thing..I could type better on it than the bigget screen skyrocket..

So i left the store narrowed down to those two phones..

Well my wifes sisters kid spent the nigbt with my son (sleep over party)
I picked up her latest i-pod touch started comparing the web broswer to my evo screen..
I could actually read the text better on her i touch! I was kinda surprised.
For so long I was always putting down the small screen size..
I stand here corrected.

I am now at this point really cosidering two iphone 32gig 4S's. Plus my company later in the year is switching to I-pads.

So I have learned that clarity not screen size really makes the difference.. sorta like camera megapixels.

Just thought I would share my experience.

draztikrhymez

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I had a skyrocket and loved the super amoled+ screen and the size. Text does look more crisp on my 4S though and the reason is the resolution of the screens.

HYDE1000

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I just came from the Samsung Galaxy S2 and the screen is one of the things that I really miss after switching to a 4S. The sheer size alone is a big deal for me and I love the quality as well. It is very hard to get used to such a small screen on the 4S. When you are constantly scrolling back and forth to read anything on the internet, you will reconsider your desire to have a bigger screen.

The biggest knock I have on the Samsung is that it has horrible radios and reception is a big disappointment. Samsung is also notorious for taking their sweet time updating phones. In my opinion, the 4S is a much better phone in terms of making calls and reception but I like the Galaxy in most other categories.

psiclne

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I actually got the Skyrocket in December and returned it (within my 30 days) and got the 4S. It has a bug in the software where the Battery reads 100% unless you do a battery reboot. Seems to be a common issue on the Skyrocket. Theres a couple of threads on it on Android Central and a few other Android forums. The other issue I was having was my Yahoo emails, I would always get 2 notifications for 1 email. Drove me nuts....

zurch

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I had the iPhone 4s on sprint and I had terrible speeds on sprint and dropped calls so I switched to Att and now I have a really fast 3G and I always have a great call quality . I had the same question 4s or skyrocket and in the end it's the resale value that kept me with apple also their 4s is frikin awesome . When I go to sell my gsm iPhone on eBay I will make most of my money back and I will be able to get the newest iPhone without too much damage to my wallet.

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've gone through a plethora of Android phones and have used an iPhone 4 and 4S. Just for a back story, here is my timeline: BB 8830, 9530, 9550 --> Droid X --> Droid 3 --> Incredible 2 --> iPhone 4 --> Bionic --> iPhone 4 --> Droid Razr --> Galaxy Nexus --> iPhone 4S.

I love the bigger screens and more customization that Android provides, but I think that for an overall quality great phone, you can't go wrong with the 4S. I compared the screen of my 4S to the Nexus before I shipped it off, and even though it is roughly 1" bigger, things were easier to read on the 4S, pictures looked better on the 4S, the screen was brighter (especially on auto brightness), crisper, etc. on the 4S. I don't see myself going back for awhile. And I think you would be pretty happy with the 4S, even with the smaller screen. There isn't a perfect phone out there, but I think overall the 4S comes the closest.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I love the bigger screens and more customization that Android provides, but I think that for an overall quality great phone, you can't go wrong with the 4S. I compared the screen of my 4S to the Nexus before I shipped it off, and even though it is roughly 1" bigger, things were easier to read on the 4S, pictures looked better on the 4S, the screen was brighter (especially on auto brightness), crisper, etc. on the 4S. I don't see myself going back for awhile. And I think you would be pretty happy with the 4S, even with the smaller screen. There isn't a perfect phone out there, but I think overall the 4S comes the closest.

Well said. The only thing where the retina display is lacking is it's contrast.

jalba3

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
As far as SAMOLED+ vs SAMOLED, I personally see less of the "grid" people see. My Nexus S has a Super AMOLED, while my friends Skyrocket has the Super AMOLED +. Yes the screen is slightly bigger, but I prefer the quality of screen the "+" adds by some subpixel magic that I don't know how to explain.

As far as the retina display, I chose it because the majority of time, I'm dealing with text. Whether it be email, SMS, facebook, twitter, browsing, etc. I'm dealing with text and not really pictures or movies. I like the contrast of SAMOLED+ screens but for text, the retina was superior in my experience. Many people state that they can see a grid. I can notice a difference between a 800x480 LCD vs Super AMOLED, but it is not a deal breaker for me and I would prefer a SAMOLED+ over LCD at the same resolution and screen size.

HYDE1000

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
As far as SAMOLED+ vs SAMOLED, I personally see less of the "grid" people see. My Nexus S has a Super AMOLED, while my friends Skyrocket has the Super AMOLED +. Yes the screen is slightly bigger, but I prefer the quality of screen the "+" adds by some subpixel magic that I don't know how to explain.

Just to be fair, the Samsung is more than slightly bigger than the iPhone. It is just over an inch bigger in size. The iPhone's screen size is closer to that of a BlackBerry Bold than the Skyrocket. I just came from the Galazy S2 and never had never noticed any grid effect. Used to have a Moto Photon and the grid effect was so bad it felt like you were veiwing it through a screen door.

Last edited:

sofryj

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I really loved the Super Amoled Plus screen on my Sammy....it was big, beautiful, vibrant, and just flat out the most pleasant screen to look at on a phone to date. But I like my 4S better....I didn't think the higher resolution would make that much of a difference, but it sure does. I can read the smallest text with striking clarity. To me, it was worth the trade off on size.

bhappy11

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Update. So bit the bullet. Picked up two one 32 gig for me and a 16 gig for my wife.

My wife can not stop staring at the screen. She says it looks fake it is so clear :)

I really am not missing my 4.3 inch screen on the Evo as much as I thought I would.
I actually like having a more pocketable phone again! Plus the screen is just amazing!

Two very happy campers here!

lfurlong

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I had the Droid Charge before and I loved the screen. The screen is one of the best things Samsung has going for them but it still doesn't compare to the iPhone. I had the 4 and now the 4s. The screen is just amazing. It still blows me away sometimes. It's so clear and crisp. I play a few games on my iPhone and the graphics are great.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I had the HTC Rezound for a while, the screen was as good as my 4S. Reading on the Rezound was better that my 4S due to the larger screen. However, the battery life on the 4S is much better.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen