Make vibration more noticeable?

CBMem

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody know of any way to make the vibration on this phone more noticeable? The vibration is so weak and so BRIEF that in the nearly 4 months I've owned it, I have never, ever felt it vibrate in my pants pocket. Ever. The custom patterns you can create only seem to apply to phone calls, not email, text, or anything else, at least as far as I can tell. Coming from Blackberry, where I could customize the length of vibration and number of vibrations to my heart's content (and actually feel it), it's very frustrating to miss EVERY text and email when it's in my pocket on silent. I'm hoping I've missed something obvious...

Thanks.

CBMem

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but that's what I was talking about only seems to apply to phone calls. Another baffling Apple decision.

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
im sure they will fix it in an apple update soon. i wouldnt worry to much about it. im sure its on its way in an update here soon

CBMem

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Could carry a blackberry storm 2 9550, i could have the thing sitting in my lap and not feel it vibrate.

I had the original storm and it was the same way. The 9700 I could feel perfectly. Maybe it has to do with weight; the Storm and iPhone are both pretty heavy and solid, which the little vibrator apparently just can't move enough.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody know of any way to make the vibration on this phone more noticeable? The vibration is so weak and so BRIEF that in the nearly 4 months I've owned it, I have never, ever felt it vibrate in my pants pocket. Ever. The custom patterns you can create only seem to apply to phone calls, not email, text, or anything else, at least as far as I can tell. Coming from Blackberry, where I could customize the length of vibration and number of vibrations to my heart's content (and actually feel it), it's very frustrating to miss EVERY text and email when it's in my pocket on silent. I'm hoping I've missed something obvious...

Thanks.

I, too, would like to know how to make the vibration a bit more noticeable. I know that some people like the less noticeable vibration, and to each, his or her own, but you would think Apple would develop a method to cater to both.

Just Me, D

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I had the original storm and it was the same way. The 9700 I could feel perfectly. Maybe it has to do with weight; the Storm and iPhone are both pretty heavy and solid, which the little vibrator apparently just can't move enough.

I can actually feel my iPhone vibrate, which actually if i had both of my phones on vibe only i would get confused. so i keep my dumb phone on ringer most of the time unless i am in a meeting

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I feel a vibration in my pants. But as for the iPhone, it's always been terrible at vibrate. The counterweight version was stronger, but it was never strong enough.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The vibration of my 4S is actually quite strong. I've noticed over the years different devices are stronger than others. Whether Apple changes suppliers or whatever, I'm not sure.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The vibration of my 4S is actually quite strong.

You're kidding right? My last 3 feature phones blow the 4s away at vibrate. I didn't know they made phones that were so bad at this. It's number one on a very short list of complaints I have about the 4s. There must be a technical reason for this because they couldn't have possibly intended to make it this weak.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You're kidding right? My last 3 feature phones blow the 4s away at vibrate. I didn't know they made phones that were so bad at this. It's number one on a very short list of complaints I have about the 4s. There must be a technical reason for this because they couldn't have possibly intended to make it this weak.

Actually not kidding. Like I said some iPhones are stronger than others.

Agent Ninja

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
This may be a silly question to the OP but do you have a case on your iP4s? I assume different styles of cases with disperse the vibration so to speak in different ways.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Another reason why I miss all the customization you can do with a BB. I've been thinking lately of going back to my old BB Curve 9330

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have mine in a book book and feel it fine maybe the vibrate motor is bad

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I tend to miss the vibration from notifications but not for calls since it's a much longer and continuous vibration. I don't really mind it all that much because I check the phone often enough that I don't miss anything for long. I agree that it would be nice to be able to change the settings for this. But if this is the main gripe of many, I think Apple is doing a pretty good job. :D

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The vibration of my 4S is actually quite strong. I've noticed over the years different devices are stronger than others.

Agreed. The vibration on my 4S is much stronger than that of my iPhone 4. Sometimes I think it's a little too strong for my needs which is why I now keep it off except for Church and when my boss is walking around the ER...

CBMem

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I tend to miss the vibration from notifications but not for calls since it's a much longer and continuous vibration. I don't really mind it all that much because I check the phone often enough that I don't miss anything for long. I agree that it would be nice to be able to change the settings for this. But if this is the main gripe of many, I think Apple is doing a pretty good job. :D

Which is why it's baffling that they make the customizable vibration patterns only apply to phone calls--phone calls are what need the help the least!

Oh, and this isn't my main gripe by any means, just one of several. And coming from Blackberry, it shouldn't be a surprise that my biggest gripes all concern notifications!

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
If I'm sitting still and the phone is in my chest pocket for work or jeans/sweatpants I'll feel it fine. If I'm walking, running, or otherwise moving... I'm not going to feel it.

It seems that the heavier and more solid the phone is built, the less you'll feel the vibe motor. I remember my BB Curve 8830 was made of thin plastic and was so light that you could feel an alert no matter what u were doing. As the phones got sturdier (Storm, Storm 2, iphone 4/s) and the vibe motors stayed pretty much the same size, the vibrations become less noticeable.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2