Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    M.Rizk's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,153 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Unhappy [Letter to Apple] I am using pirated apps...Blame yourself!

    Hello Apple fans and anyone from Apple that may read this,

    I hate piracy, same as you all. I have got an iPhone 4S, iPad2, BlackBerry Torch and a PlayBook.
    Wherever I go around, all keep saying BlackBerry is the worst platform for not having any apps. So I decided to get those 2 Apple products, to see what magic do they bring in. unfortunately they bring nothing in the Middle East.

    When I created my Apple account based on Qatar, I found nothing and I really mean nothing in the AppStore, not any apps but Whatsapp, not a single game not even Fruit ninja and Angry birds! ... and Don't tell me due to copyright issues with the Game and App Developers they couldn't provide it for the Middle east, NO! My PlayBook AppWorld got Angry Birds, All Gameloft apps and All EA Apps in the Qatari store! that means it's just how it goes with Apple not the developers!

    I tried to switch my Apple account to the United States.... but It asks for a US Based credit card, which I don't own. Got only a Qatari one. I created a new account based on the US.. but still I can't purchase anything as I can't add my credit card.

    So do you all think I will pay 820$ for the iPhone4S 16GB! and 650$ iPad2 32GB WiFi only and just keep What'sapp! No, not gonna happen ever in my life, I had to jailbreak my device and get pirated apps. Don't blame me but blame Apple, they won't sell such expensive products and don't provide any apps, games or even support then tell me it's illegal to use pirated apps!

    Thanks for reading, I hope you feel the same as me, maybe you won't you got a Store full of apps and games! but now I feel RIM(Research in Motion) had done a better job serving the Middle east.
    mikells43 likes this.
  2. #2  
    Todd M's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1/5.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    Hello Apple fans and anyone from Apple that may read this,

    I hate piracy, same as you all. I have got an iPhone 4S, iPad2, BlackBerry Torch and a PlayBook.
    Wherever I go around, all keep saying BlackBerry is the worst platform for not having any apps. So I decided to get those 2 Apple products, to see what magic do they bring in. unfortunately they bring nothing in the Middle East.

    When I created my Apple account based on Qatar, I found nothing and I really mean nothing in the AppStore, not any apps but Whatsapp, not a single game not even Fruit ninja and Angry birds! ... and Don't tell me due to copyright issues with the Game and App Developers they couldn't provide it for the Middle east, NO! My PlayBook AppWorld got Angry Birds, All Gameloft apps and All EA Apps in the Qatari store! that means it's just how it goes with Apple not the developers!

    I tried to switch my Apple account to the United States.... but It asks for a US Based credit card, which I don't own. Got only a Qatari one. I created a new account based on the US.. but still I can't purchase anything as I can't add my credit card.

    So do you all think I will pay 820$ for the iPhone4S 16GB! and 650$ iPad2 32GB WiFi only and just keep What'sapp! No, not gonna happen ever in my life, I had to jailbreak my device and get pirated apps. Don't blame me but blame Apple, they won't sell such expensive products and don't provide any apps, games or even support then tell me it's illegal to use pirated apps!

    Thanks for reading, I hope you feel the same as me, maybe you won't you got a Store full of apps and games! but now I feel RIM(Research in Motion) had done a better job serving the Middle east.
    That truly sucks. Don't know why they don't have more. However, piracy is piracy, no matter how you rationalize it.
  3. #3  
    Timhewitt's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    566 Posts

    Default

    You can create a US based account using a gift card purchased online. A search will result in detailed instructions.

    As for why there is nothing in your App Store, you should contact Apple directly, not post a question in an Internet discussion forum. Apple doesn't read posts here....

    I know when we submit apps we restrict distribution to App Stores where English is a supported language. Perhaps Qatar is not in that list
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    M.Rizk's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,153 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Didn't think before about the itunes card, despite that hassle that I have got to buy a card before every purchase, and I have to accept that I won't get bonus from my Credit card unless I buy those itunes cards online which could be more expensive. I will go for it for now however that's like a temporary Hotfix. Apple got to fix this issue!
  5. #5  
    ghostface147's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,551 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,640 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

    Default

    Apple doesn't have to do anything. You freely admit you pirate, so get over yourself. They owe you nothing.
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    M.Rizk's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,153 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    Apple doesn't have to do anything. You freely admit you pirate, so get over yourself. They owe you nothing.
    & Your an *****, learn how to read till the end.
    mikells43 and Canuck671 like this.
  7. #7  
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Administrator

    Posts
    7,048 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    & Your an *****, learn how to read till the end.
    Leave the name calling out of the thread or it will be deleted/locked.
  8. #8  
    reeneebob's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    469 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,610 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    Didn't think before about the itunes card, despite that hassle that I have got to buy a card before every purchase, and I have to accept that I won't get bonus from my Credit card unless I buy those itunes cards online which could be more expensive. I will go for it for now however that's like a temporary Hotfix. Apple got to fix this issue!
    Why do you have to go get a card every time? I get a $25 or $50 card once every 6-9 months and leave a balance on iTunes. I top it up when it gets low.

    Seems easier and more ethical than essentially stealing from developers.


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Former BlackBerry Pearl 8130, Curve 8330, Storm 1, Palm Pre, Galaxy S Vibrant, HTC Desire Z, back to Galaxy S, iPhone 4 White 16GB, BB Bold 9900 White (sold), back to iPhone 4, SGS3 Pebble Blue, SGS3 Garnet Red, BlackBerry Z10 White, 16Gb iPhone 5 White
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    M.Rizk's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,153 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    Why do you have to go get a card every time? I get a $25 or $50 card once every 6-9 months and leave a balance on iTunes. I top it up when it gets low.

    Seems easier and more ethical than essentially stealing from developers.


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Yep, It is more ethical, I just forgotten about those cards, as I don't see then outside the states at least not here in the Middle east, as Credit card rules here. I will be getting some cards today, will be also emailing Apple because yeh those cards are fine but not the best experience.
  10. #10  
    HYDE1000's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    13 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    & Your an *****, learn how to read till the end.
    Ironic that you misspell a simple word like you're when calling someone an *****.
  11. #11  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HYDE1000 View Post
    Ironic that you misspell a simple word like you're when calling someone an *****.
    It's that karma thing. It almost always happens that when you're busting someone on spelling or grammar that you also make a blatant error. Funny how that always works out...

    Back on topic:

    Sorry for the OP's plight, but that doesn't make piracy "ok". Nothing does. Nothing ever will.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  12. #12  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    Yep, It is more ethical, I just forgotten about those cards, as I don't see then outside the states at least not here in the Middle east, as Credit card rules here. I will be getting some cards today, will be also emailing Apple because yeh those cards are fine but not the best experience.
    I have both a credit card and a debit card. But none of them are associated with my iTunes account. I use iTunes gift cards as my only way of purchasing on iTunes. No hassles at all... easy, safe and it creates peace of mind. I keep no more that $25 in my iTunes store account. When it runs out, I add more. The most that I could ever lost due to a hacked account is the balance of $25 or less on that account.

    YMMV, but this has always worked for me.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  13. #13  
    DikaiaKnight's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5

    Default

    Piracy is never ok but I do understand what a hassle it would be to have to go out to purchase an iTunes GC to buy apps. Yes you can buy a large one for $50 etc but that means you are "locked" into using that $50 in the iTunes ecosystem. As someone who is watches my finances closely I would never want to do that myself. When I want to buy a 99 cent app I want to spend 99 cent. I do not want to have to spend extra money for a GC to load onto my account.

    That being said, again, piracy is not OK. Write to Apple to know your frustration but for now try to be legal! I would think Apple would want to make it easier for people in your area to spend money with them. I hope they support your region more soon!
  14. #14  
    patricksmangan's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,576 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5

    Default

    I have a question, because I'm a bad person. I'd love to find an app where I can easily get audible.com content for free. Any leads?
  15. #15  
    kilcher's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    374 Posts
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts

    Default

    How about researching what's available before you make the purchase?

    If I bought a phone from a company based in the middle east I wouldn't complain there are no apps available in the US. Just as I wouldn't buy a phone from a US company without researching what apps are available.

    It's not Apple's fault. It's yours.
  16. #16  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patricksmangann View Post
    I have a question, because I'm a bad person. I'd love to find an app where I can easily get audible.com content for free. Any leads?
    Free audio books....get your friend who's willing to buy a book to read it aloud and use the audio notes on your iPhone for him to read it to you.

    FFS.
    xxjokerxx, Fausty82 and sofryj like this.
  17. #17  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kilcher View Post
    How about researching what's available before you make the purchase?

    If I bought a phone from a company based in the middle east I wouldn't complain there are no apps available in the US. Just as I wouldn't buy a phone from a US company without researching what apps are available.

    It's not Apple's fault. It's yours.
    iTunes is in every market. The iPhone is sold globally. It is up to the developers on an individual basis to determine in which market they will be sold.
    elitemarine likes this.
  18. #18  
    Heisenberg's Avatar

    Posts
    4,395 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,773 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

    Default

    I can't believe no one has said this, but, this has to be the stupidest thread ever. If apps aren't available
    then stay away from the product if it means that much to you. And if you're going to use pirated apps
    then use them without opening yourself up to criticism here. In other words: Do what you want and just
    shut up about it. Sheesh.
    Last edited by forever29; 01-29-2012 at 02:43 PM.
  19. #19  
    ericizzy1's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,235 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Free audio books....get your friend who's willing to buy a book to read it aloud and use the audio notes on your iPhone for him to read it to you.

    FFS.
    :-) cracked me on this one
  20. #20  
    3cit's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,746 Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Free audio books....get your friend who's willing to buy a book to read it aloud and use the audio notes on your iPhone for him to read it to you.

    FFS.
    Cracked apps by alli...
  21. #21  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default

    Actually, I've been cracking books since I was 4. Here's an early example of me cracking Dr. Seuss.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanked by:
    Canuck671 (02-03-2012)
  22. #22  
    nr2d's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    166 Posts

    Default

    Someone above that Apple may not have anything to do with it. I think I would look at the possibility that maybe, just maybe, the Leaders/government of Qatar may censor the APP Store content or told Apple to censor the APP Store content in order to be allowed to sell the iPHONE 4S and iPAD 2 in your country. This is just a thought not an accusation or fact.
    iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, iMAC 2013, Dell PC
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    M.Rizk's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,153 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    But if its the government, howcome my PlayBook got access to the same exact games and apps from the same developers?

    The government here censor only **** sites, virus and hacking sites.
  24. #24  
    sherlock's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,741 Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.6

    Default

    Although I am based in the US I always use iTunes cards for purchases. It works really well and they range from about $15-100. I think it's a lot better than tossing your credit card number around.
  25. #25  
    sofryj's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default

    Now....not sure what apps you're using, but just because you got apps off Cydia after jailbreaking doesn't mean they are pirated....it just means Apple wouldn't let them into the App Store. I have quite a few jailbreak apps and I don't think any are pirated....I'm pretty certain the developers are getting paid for their hard work when I purchase their apps from Cydia.

    Also, if Apple is not selling apps in your country, I bet it has more to do with your government than Apple.....just saying. (BTW, my government sucks too, just for different reasons)
    Last edited by sofryj; 02-01-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Others have smart phones, my phone is omniscient.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions