Should I upgrade?

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Currently, I have a 16 gb AT&T iPhone 4. I bought it on September 24th, 2010. I use it almost constantly. It has always been in a case, and has no scratches or scuffs on the screen. So, I know its resale value will be just fine and dandy.

My upgrade date with AT&T is February 25th, 2012. Just over one month away. I'm mulling over getting a 32 or 64 gb iPhone 4S. It would be nice to have my entire music collection on my phone. I have 24 or so gigs of music, and right now I have to keep all of that on an old iPod Classic. I also have about 4 gb of apps.

My iPhone 4 is still working okay. "Okay" being the operative word. The battery is nowhere near as strong as it used to be. Sometimes, my data connection mysteriously drops even though other AT&T iPhone 4 models that belong to my friends and coworkers seem to have no issues. It also doesn't receive phone calls every now and then. Basically, if it was a 32 gb model and all of my music fit on it, I would overlook these small faults. But, having two devices is annoying.

I'm just thinking about the 4S in regards to whether or not it is really "worth it" to upgrade. And I also do NOT want to run into the possibility of an iPhone 5 being released soon after I potentially get my 4S.

So. Considering I could probably get around $300.00 out of my iPhone 4 on eBay, should I or should I not upgrade at the end of next month?

Shellbell67

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
JMO I would wait for the iPhone 5 to be released....not that the iPhone 4s or an upgrade at this point isn't good...espeically if you want more gigs for music and such, but me personally would be upset to upgrade only to have the iPhone 5 come out 6 months later, would be worth the wait to me!

Kehjj04

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
If you want to wait until an undisclosed date then do so! I know I like to upgrade the day i can so I would not be waiting.

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
If you always keep waiting for the next thing, you will never upgrade. Make the jump. 64gb is the way to go!

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
You can always upgrade and sell the 4S once the 5/6 is announced. But in all honesty, I don't think the 4s is worth an upgrade compared to the 4. Do you really need Siri?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with the other people who've replied. At this point in time, it will be pointless to upgrade to the iPhone 4S when the next iphone is on the horizon. If I already had an iphone 4, I highly doubt that I would have upgraded to the 4S.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I think you should get your 4 checked out at an apple store. I think the 4 is still a great phone and when I compare it to my girlfriends 4S I am glad I waited till the next iPhone comes out. The 4S is a great phone but when I already have the 4 it's not a big enough upgrade to use an upgrade and extend my contract another two years.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaMFtalk

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand how you guys can say that the iPhone 5 is just over the horizon. Nobody but Apple knows when it will be released. If he's having issues with his iPhone 4, why not merely upgrade? Even if the 5 comes out in 6-7 months, that's still half of the iPhone 4S' product cycle. By all means upgrade. You won't be disappointed.

oklanole

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand how you guys can say that the iPhone 5 is just over the horizon. Nobody but Apple knows when it will be released. If he's having issues with his iPhone 4, why not merely upgrade? Even if the 5 comes out in 6-7 months, that's still half of the iPhone 4S' product cycle. By all means upgrade. You won't be disappointed.

QFT! We have no idea when the new iPhone will come out. To continuously put off upgrading because what MAY come out I June, makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
QFT! We have no idea when the new iPhone will come out. To continuously put off upgrading because what MAY come out I June, makes no sense.

Plus with the resale value of iPhones, you could upgrade now, then sell your 4S and buy the 5 or whatever and not be out full retail. You can basicslly get two upgrades in a year with only an additional $100 or so.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
The main thing that attracts me to the 4S is the better camera (I pretty much take pictures with my phone more than anything...my photo library has around 600 photos now) and the faster processing speed. My 4 lags every now and then.

I really wish Apple would've put LTE on the 4S. Oh well. The next iPhone will logically have it. I will have to just think it over some more, I guess. If my 4 starts having more and more problems, I'll definitely upgrade.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand how you guys can say that the iPhone 5 is just over the horizon. Nobody but Apple knows when it will be released.
Fair enough
If he's having issues with his iPhone 4, why not merely upgrade?
Upgrading would indeed be one of his choices along with paying to have it fixed if his warranty has expired. Still, to have him upgrade and be under contract for two years when there is a very good chance that Apple will release a new model this year like it has since 2007 is not good advice unless it is economically feasible and absolutely necessary, in my opinion.
Even if the 5 comes out in 6-7 months, that's still half of the iPhone 4S' product cycle. By all means upgrade.
Half of the iphone 4S product cycle does not mean that he will be at the halfway point in his contract.
You won't be disappointed.
That is debatable. Don't get me wrong. In no way am I saying you're wrong. I just have a different take, that's all. Take care.

Last edited:

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Probably going to keep my 4 until one of two things happens: either the iPhone 5 is released, or my 4 becomes seriously troubled.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I think you're doing the right thing. Take care and enjoy the rest of your Monday. If you have the money to buy a 4S outright without hurting your finances, then go for it. By doing so, you'll be protecting your upgrade status in case you decide to get the newest iPhone when it becomes available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Personally I doubt the next iPhone comes out in June. If anything, it'll be October like the iPhone4s was. That's just my line of thinking.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77