Odd problem, please gimme some advice

Kehjj04

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I posted the other day that I tried to do a video and the sound was almost unhearable even with the volume turned all the way up. No one had any advice. Well yesterday I tried to FaceTime with my cousin and she could not hear me even if I was shouting. I called my hubby on speakerphone and he could not hear me either until I turned the speaker off then it was fine! I can record a voice memo it sounds perfect, Siri can hear me fine, I can dictate a text too.

So I called apple and the did a restore and it didn't help. I have to go to the apple store next sat for genius bar appt and she says they will replace it if they can't fix it.

So my questions: has anyone heard of this issue or have advice? Will they give me a NEW phone (phone is 2 months old) or a refurb? I don't want someone else's problems...... Thanks

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
your phone is used, I dont think they will give you a new phone.

all refurbished iphones are as good as new. I have bought a few in the past and could not tell the difference. They put a new face and a new battery.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
They will give you a warranty replacement which is at this point probably still brand new. And that's your only option besides buying a new one out of retail stock out of pocket.

Kehjj04

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
What will happen to my phone? If they wipe it to refurb it will my pics/texts/emails be able to be seen by some techie who knows how to dig around in a phone? I have 4 kids and it skeeves me out to think some random person could get ahold of my old pics/emails/texts

Moneymiike420

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure he'll sync everything for u without looking at your pics and stuff .youll be in front of him /her most likely do I wouldn't worry sweety

Kehjj04

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I mean after they take my phone, refurb it, then give it to someone else. Could someone else bring these things off. I know this sounds insane but having a husband that's a cop I feel very protective over my kids, and I'm neurotic to begin with :). After they wipe all my stuff out of my phone is it gone for good?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Before they take your old phone they show you how to wipe the phone and have you press the confirmation to wipe all the data it restores to factory and erases all personal data basically making it brand new out of the box again

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Before you do all this, try one more thing: the volume doesn't always change unless you try to change it AFTER you start your video. I know because I had a similar issue yesterday--my overall phone volume was set at a high level, but when I began to watch a video someone had sent me it was super quiet because the sound setting within the app was set very low, and I hadn't noticed it.

I had been trying to turn it up before starting the video, and that was my problem.

Your issue sounds like it may be more complex, but that's worth a try!

Kehjj04

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to update quick. I decided to try to make a video plugging in the headphones and using that mic and guess what?! The sound recorded fine! So it's obviously a faulty mic! I just wish I knew why it won't record for video speakerphone or FaceTime, but will record perfectly for voice memo, Siri and dictate text. Grr. So I think I'm going to just deal with it. I never use speaker and can deal with the annoyance of using the earbuds once in a blue moon when I want to video or use FaceTime with granny ;). I'm just worried About getting a replacement that is worse than the issue that I have now (and from googling I see that happens quite often) I'm going to buy AppleCare, I'm too late for AppleCare+ so unless something more comes up I'll just deal with it. Thanks for listening to my ramblings friends :)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
But if it works for one and not the other, that seems like a software issue (or just that something isn't set correctly in the settings), not a bad microphone.

(EDIT: After some research, I see that a lot of people are reporting success with this method--seems like the noise canceling mic is getting blocked and causing issues: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2554427?start=0&tstart=0

Try those methods and let us know if anything works!

Last edited:

Kehjj04

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
But if it works for one and not the other, that seems like a software issue (or just that something isn't set correctly in the settings), not a bad microphone.

(EDIT: After some research, I see that a lot of people are reporting success with this method--seems like the noise canceling mic is getting blocked and causing issues: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2554427?start=0&tstart=0

Try those methods and let us know if anything works!

Holy crap I could kiss you right now! I saw a lot of ppl had films on that covered the hole so I looked at mine and didn't see a hole in the top mic so I got a tooth brush (that I used to use the dust the keys on my blackberry curve) and viola! There is a mic hole now! And viola! I took a video and te sound was perfect!!!!!!! Something was obstructing the upper mic and that's why 3 different things didn't work and the rest did because they use the bottom mic! Yay! Thank you so much for digging up that post! Saved me paying a sitter and driving an hour each way (out of my way!) to go to the apple store! Yay!!!!!!!

Kehjj04

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Right!!!! Apple didn't even mention anything about checking the mic they immediately went into a restore! I'm so happy it's fixed!

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Glad you got it fixed!

What will happen to my phone? If they wipe it to refurb it will my pics/texts/emails be able to be seen by some techie who knows how to dig around in a phone? I have 4 kids and it skeeves me out to think some random person could get ahold of my old pics/emails/texts

I mean after they take my phone, refurb it, then give it to someone else. Could someone else bring these things off. I know this sounds insane but having a husband that's a cop I feel very protective over my kids, and I'm neurotic to begin with :). After they wipe all my stuff out of my phone is it gone for good?

They made me do the reset and erase myself. They got me to the screen and I had to push it.

Sync before you go so that it's all backed up at home. They never once would sync mine for me. So make sure you sync yourself at home/work and do a backup there before you go to the store.

PM-Performance

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
You can pull data from flash memory after it has been formatted. Just saying ive pulled info off flash drives and sd cards plenty of times after formatted many of times.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh