Changed Apple ID - need help

gary1949

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I changed my Apple ID by creating a new ID - I didn't follow the Apple procedure to change my ID because I didn't know there was a procedure to do so.

When I try to use the App Store, iTunes or the Apple Store on my 4S it shows my OLD Apple ID in light gray and I can find no way to change it to my new Apple ID. I've changed my Apple ID on iTunes on my PC and synced - didn't help.

Be kind in your responses - I'm pretty new to IOS. Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings-Store and then select your Apple ID and logout. Afterwards, login with your new Apple ID. Do a backup to be on the safe side beforehand.

Reactions: gary1949

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I changed my Apple ID by creating a new ID - I didn't follow the Apple procedure to change my ID because I didn't know there was a procedure to do so.

When I try to use the App Store, iTunes or the Apple Store on my 4S it shows my OLD Apple ID in light gray and I can find no way to change it to my new Apple ID. I've changed my Apple ID on iTunes on my PC and synced - didn't help.

Be kind in your responses - I'm pretty new to IOS. Thanks.

Keep in mind that anything you bought from the app store will be lost if I'm not mistaken - if I am I apologize for my incorrectness

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that anything you bought from the app store will be lost if I'm not mistaken - if I am I apologize for my incorrectness

I believe you are correct. Let me clear something up, if I can. I have an iPhone 4S with Verizon and my daughter has an iPhone 4 with AT&T. We were using the same Apple ID until our data started showing up on each other's devices. After that, I created her own Apple ID and I created a different Apple ID for myself, however, we share the original Apple ID for purchases only via the App store. So in summary,

Daughter: janedoe@whatever.com
Dad: johndoe@whatever.com
Both: together@whatever.com in regard to the app store for purchases.

By doing it that way, we did not lose any previously purchased & downloaded apps and we are able to keep our personal data on our own devices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I believe you are correct. Let me clear something up, if I can. I have an iPhone 4S with Verizon and my daughter has an iPhone 4 with AT&T. We were using the same Apple ID until our data started showing up on each other's devices. After that, I created her own Apple ID and I created a different Apple ID for myself, however, we share the original Apple ID for purchases only via the App store. So in summary,

By doing it that way, we did not lose any previously purchased & downloaded apps and we are able to keep our personal data on our own devices.

that sounds confusing.. glad I only have to worry about myself.. :)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

That's exactly how I have mine set up this way you only purchase apps once .. It's not that confusing really your main apple id is what you use in iTunes and for the store on your phone .... You create a serrated apple I'd for iCloud and FaceTime etc. so that way everyone has there own apple I'd and you just share the main one for purchases

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I dont think you will solve your issue

I have a wife and two children. We each have our own Apple IDs. We sync them all on the same PC. If my daughter buys a game, then syncs her phone. The next time I log on to itunes and sync, her game shows on my phone. Two different IDs, but one computer.

If you share an ID, and you use icloud. Every purchase you make, will automatically show up on hers

I think you might almost be there. You should only use separate accounts. Also make sure your setting on itunes do not automatically load new apps/music on your device when you connect to itunes.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly how I have mine set up this way you only purchase apps once .. It's not that confusing really your main apple ID is what you use in iTunes and for the store on your phone .... You create a separate apple ID for iCloud and FaceTime etc. so that way everyone has there own apple ID and you just share the main one for purchases

Exactly and thank you. Your explanation was much better and you're right, it's not as confusing as it seems. It makes perfect sense to have a shared Apple ID to logon with in the app Store and iTunes if you will be paying for purchases made from separate devices like I do. My teen daughter doesn't pay for any apps or music and must clear it through me before she make any purchases. As Peligro911 stated, for iCloud, FaceTime, etcetera, use separate Apple IDs.

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You can turn off automatic sync off apps if you share a computer and turn off the automatic downloads on your phone

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
So if I ever want to change my Apple ID I will lose all my previously purchased content?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

No if you change your apple id through the proper way you'll be fine, it's when you create an additional one instead of changing your current one

CG2012

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Found that my daughter would download from the app store on the phone and the apps would then show up on my phone (we share the same iTunes account). The way to avoid getting another persons apps on your device that shares apple ID is this...SEETINGS - iTUNES & APP STORE from there you'll find under AUTOMATIC DOWNLOADS (2 options) Music and Apps....both of those should be turned off. Each device that's connected to one Apple ID should use these same settings. That way you can download an app you want and your wife or kids won't see the app on there devices. Hope that helps!

3vilPeT3

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you I have the same situation. My daughter has an iPod and we got an iPad I don't want here apps on the iPad. I am having a hard time in changing here apple I/d. I feel I am close but need a push in the right direction. Also I don't want to lose every thing we bought such as music.

DrBit2011

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi to all

I'm about to buy a iP4S or iP5, dont sure wich one. Anyway, i have a iPad3 LTE, where i have my iTunes account. The iPad is ussed by my wife and daughter, i dont wants hers apps in my iPhone, mostly children's games, but i already have purshades a few apps for the intention to have it in my iphone.

Far i read, i can undertand:
Keep my current itunes account in the ipad, and use it only for apps, have another account for data and contacts for the iphone, and, use the same pc to sync both devices?

I'm missing something?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77