Alright, what's with all the product placement?

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Whether you're sitting at home watching a tv program, or even going to the movies- Apple products steal the show. They're in so many programs, movies and music videos, it's not even funny. You'll be catching a long glimpse of a character or movie star using an Apple product. And they don't just quickly flash the product either, they show it in depth, even creating renderings of the screen. But it's everywhere.

What's going on here?

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
The movies, shows and such are free advertising for Apple, why wouldn't they let the directors use them if they want to?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
You'd also be surprised how often their product logos are covered up. Big Bang Theory comes to mind, Two and half men.....

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
NBC is the biggest culprit of this, and it's obviously some type of contract they have. Shows like "Parenthood" and "Up All Night" feature Apple devices HEAVILY, and it's not just in passing either...it's multiple scenes and extended periods of time where that MacBook is flipped open or the Apple logo is showing on a phone or tablet. Pretty sure I've seen it in "Parks & Recreation" also.

I happen to be a fan of these products and those are pretty lighthearted shows, so it doesn't really bother me, but yes, it is pretty pervasive. I think that's a more effective strategy nowadays with DVRs than just running a bunch of commercials or putting crap up in Times Square (which is what RIM does).

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What's going on here?

You know the answer: Product Placement. Last year, CISCO provided the gear, and got end-credit mention for sponsorship on NCIS-LA. This year, it's Microsoft & SkyDrive that gets the screen time, and credits mention for sponsorship... There's also the opposite - ever watch the FoodNetwork and how they go out of their way to obscure OBVIOUS product names on labels shown on ingredients? Not because they don't get paid for product placement...they don't want to/can't be seen as having one brand used as an ingredient so as not to offend current or potential advertisers on the network.

What's "going on" is free enterprise, and capitalism.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
You'd also be surprised how often their product logos are covered up. Big Bang Theory comes to mind, Two and half men.....

Law and Order SVU, CSI and Storage Wars come to mind also. Sara Sidle uses an iPhone but the apple on the back is covered. Darryl's son and Dave both use iPhones and any time they are shown, they're blurred out. With SVU, you can tell they're using iPhones but cases keep the logo covered up.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
any House fans out there? all i see are iPhone's and Mac's

doesn't really bother me though. i'll still sleep at night

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised by just how far it's gone, even working it's way into the plot of the show.

Here's an obvious one. A show on Nickelodeon called iCarly has heavy references to Apple merchandise that's obvious for adults. Even calling them Pearphone, Pearpod... lol

Why you think the show did this? I'm going to ask my little sister if she understands the correlation between these items. Do you think there?s a similarity between the lowercase letter in iCarly and the lower case letter in iPod? Do you think its weird that the computer/phone/pad has a pear on it?

But almost every form of media is guilty of it. Even my favorite video game Tomb Raider, the newest one coming out has Lara Croft using an iPhone.

http://news.cnet.com/i/tim/2011/06/07/tombraiderbeats1_610x359.jpg
http://refresh.speckproducts.com/speckblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/nFBrgeSjj-0.png

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Whether you're sitting at home watching a tv program, or even going to the movies- Apple products steal the show. They're in so many programs, movies and music videos, it's not even funny. You'll be catching a long glimpse of a character or movie star using an Apple product. And they don't just quickly flash the product either, they show it in depth, even creating renderings of the screen. But it's everywhere.

What's going on here?

What's going on is they are trying to show you a commercial in the middle of the show instead of during the commercials that you will likely not be watching. It's not just Apple. You could make a game out of Top Chef (Food Network) and how many times they mention their Toyota cars, Whole Foods, and Healthy Choice microwave meals. Then in the same shot (as mentioned above) they have the Heniz Ketchup label blurred out.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
any House fans out there?

I used to be a House fan... but once you live a medical drama, the things they do on TV just don't compare... and I just could not bear to watch it anymore.

Sorry about the off-topic diversion... back to your scheduled program, complete with product placement, or, reverse product placement... it was in the news not that long ago when some outfit offered to pay some Jersey Shore cast people to quit wearing their branded clothes. :D

Sophos

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone see the newest Mission Impossible?!? I swear the movie was a two and half hour Apple commercial...

Cheers

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

This happens often with Macbook Pros. The glowing LCD Logo is often covered up but it's obviously a Macbook. We wouldn't want the PC crowd to think someone is buying Apple ad placement, would we?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73