Phone keeps searching for signal

low06sierra

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Phone started to drop signal and pick back on Sunday. I then went to the apple store and got a replacement and was fine up until now. I was running iOS 5.0.1 and I thought it might've been the software so when I setup the new phone and restored all my stuff, I didn't do the update. Could it be a bad sim card? Has anybody had this issue before? Any help is appreciated

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know anything about sim cards, but I will start off with the simple and possibly obvious that may solve your issue.

Have you called AT&T to see if there are any issues in your area as far as cell towers go? Also, you could try resetting the network on your phone- settings/general/reset/reset network settings and maybe follow that with a reboot. You'll have to set up your wifi info again also.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Phone started to drop signal and pick back on Sunday. I then went to the apple store and got a replacement and was fine up until now. I was running iOS 5.0.1 and I thought it might've been the software so when I setup the new phone and restored all my stuff, I didn't do the update. Could it be a bad sim card? Has anybody had this issue before? Any help is appreciated

Could be a SIM card or network issues. Also, what version are you running of 5.0.1? 94A05 or 94A06? If you on the first, restore via iTunes to get on 5.0.1 version 94A06 as that OS was update to fix some network issues.

low06sierra

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't know anything about sim cards, but I will start off with the simple and possibly obvious that may solve your issue.

Have you called AT&T to see if there are any issues in your area as far as cell towers go? Also, you could try resetting the network on your phone- settings/general/reset/reset network settings and maybe follow that with a reboot. You'll have to set up your wifi info again also.

It drops it anywhere I'm at but I'll give them a call later. I have reset the settings with a reboot but no luck with that. Last night when I was hooking it up to my laptop, it wouldn't sync and just give me an error message to reconnect it

low06sierra

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Could be a SIM card or network issues. Also, what version are you running of 5.0.1? 94A05 or 94A06? If you on the first, restore via iTunes to get on 5.0.1 version 94A06 as that OS was update to fix some network issues.

I'm currently on 5.0 9A334, how will I know if it's 94A06 when I update?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to this party. Ugh. Been there. I went through SIX iPhone4s. The first 4 did this same thing, where it would work for a while, then start searching constantly for a signal. When it did have one, it would not make outbound calls without not being able to connect or hear a connection on my end. I had 8 sim cards by then also, I pretty much went between ATT and Apple stores bec both blamed the other party. Before they gave me the fifth one, Apple got upper level tech involved at ATT, and they reset all kind of stuff on my account. Suddenly I was able to keep a signal, but I was not able to make outbound calls properly yet. I JUST got the 6th phone AND my 9th Sim about two weeks ago and this is finally the first time with a 4S ive been able to make calls AND not be searching all the time. There is something wrong between the SIM/Account/Line and the phone. Call Applecare and get a Senior Advisor, and then they can get ATT on the line and work with you. It will likely NOT be a quick fix, jsut be aware. It took over 2 months to finally get a functional situation.

krs7272#AC

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Also just google to download the 5.0.1 46 os version and manually update shift+restore.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

low06sierra

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
downloaded the update but it said firmware was not compatible or something like that. spent 2 hours downloading it for nothing

i'll update it over wi-fi tomorrow

Last edited:

krs7272#AC

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Just to let you know iTunes and update OTA will give you the 94A05 not 94A06 the latter has to bd manually downloaded and loaded via iTunes shift restore. You'll need to bd in DFU mode to do this IIRC

low06sierra

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Just to let you know iTunes and update OTA will give you the 94A05 not 94A06 the latter has to bd manually downloaded and loaded via iTunes shift restore. You'll need to bd in DFU mode to do this IIRC

Do you happen to have the link to the 94A06 update? I couldn't find it when I googled it. What's DFU mode? I'm new to iPhones so it'll take me awhile to get a hang of the abbreviations. Do you think that would fix the problem?

krs7272#AC

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Do you happen to have the link to the 94A06 update? I couldn't find it when I googled it. What's DFU mode? I'm new to iPhones so it'll take me awhile to get a hang of the abbreviations. Do you think that would fix the problem?

OS Download
iPad, iPod and iPhone Firmware Downloads - Direct Links

DFU

iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode

After your in DFU HOLD SHIFT+RESTORE and point to the file you downloaded

As far as I know I heard the newer OS may have addressed SIM issues? Cant hurt to try...

low06sierra

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
says the link is broken but i found another link though. i'll download it hopefully tomorrow and will also get the sim card. hopefully the sim will fix it, i barely have any data left on my air card to download that huge file

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen