Problems adding a mail account

PinkRoze

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
This is my first ever iPhone and I really needed to add email accounts to it besides the iCloud but it gives me some sort of error whenever i try... Ive tried doing two different accounts and neither work ;( can someone help me?

Thanks!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
PinkRoze, i don't know too much about the email accounts on the iPhone--i only have 2 aol's and 1 yahoo. But i do know you can add the gmail acct as 'exchange' and then in the server field enter m.google.com

So hope that'll help you with that one at least:)

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
One of them is a gmail and the other is an outlook Microsoft .. I'd also like to add a hotmail and a live account.

Just do this:

Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calenders>

Under Accounts, Add Account...

You'll see a list of email services.

Gmail> Enter information, tap next

As long as you enter the correct information, and are connected to the internet, you're done.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
One of them is a gmail and the other is an outlook Microsoft ..
Outlook's not really a type of account. It's an email app. Is this a work account? Do they use Exchange? We need to know the mail server type to help with this account. Outlook supports a number of different mail servers so you'll need to verify.

PinkRoze

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
When I try to add the Outlook e-mail I use the hotmail and everything appears fine but then it tells me that the password is incorrect.

Password Incorrect
Enter the password for the Hotmail account "hotmail"

I enter the password and the error keeps popping up so I can't access anything

The Gmail finally worked

and the Live one worked too

The only one that has not worked now is the Outlook one which is the most important of all ;/

It's not from work, its from my University.

I say that it's an outlook account because when I log in to it thru the hotmail site, it takes me directly to something called Microsoft Web App. So it's not like a nornal account.

Quintus

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
University accounts usually have very finicky servers. Check with the university and make sure your email address and username are the same. Some universities use different email and usernames so it is sometimes tricky to set it up. Alternatively, why not just ask someone on campus who has an iPhone or double-check the user settings used when you set up the account in outlook.

dtdtdtdt1

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have setup several in my office with Exchange, I always get the errors too. Save your settings with the errors and without the address being validated, then go back to Settings, Mail, Exchange,Account. When that opens go to the bottom and turn off "use SSL"

This has worked with all of our phones.

phillyboy4

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
When I try to add the Outlook e-mail I use the hotmail and everything appears fine but then it tells me that the password is incorrect.

I enter the password and the error keeps popping up so I can't access anything

The Gmail finally worked

and the Live one worked too

The only one that has not worked now is the Outlook one which is the most important of all ;/

It's not from work, its from my University.

I say that it's an outlook account because when I log in to it thru the hotmail site, it takes me directly to something called Microsoft Web App. So it's not like a nornal account.
I tried setting my college email up on the 4s as an exchange account and had the same problem. However, when I set it up as an IMAP account it worked. To set up my email as an IMAP account I used the college's web mail servers (which is owa.cambridgecollege.edu) for both the outgoing and incoming email. Give that a try.

phillyboy4

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
How I set up my college Exchange mail on 4s

I'm confused as to what to do to fix this. Can someone tell me step by step?

You'll need the URL for your college's web access to Exchange. For me, its "owe.cambridgecollege.edu". You can get this from the log-in page you use to get your email.

1) Go to Settings -Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Stroll down a bit and click "Add Account."
2) Stroll to the bottom and click "Other".
3) Click "Add Mail Account"
4) Fill in the fields that appear and click "Next"

If all goes right, and it should, a new page opens where you'll see the option to set the account up as either an IMAP or a POP account. (I set mine up as an IMAP account, which keeps all my mail on the college's server.)

5) The info you entered at step 4 will be filled in. You need to fill in the fields for the outgoing and incoming mail server sections. Again, I used the URL for my college's wed access page, owa.cambridgecollege.edu. Make sure you don't include "http".
6) Click "Next" and you should see the "verifying" screen. Once your account is confirmed, you should be all set.

Hope this helps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro