diehard android thinking about switching

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have been a diehard android guy for years. The thing is im getting sick of the instability. I root, flash roms, OC processors and everything in between(which also leads to instability i know). I work for sprint and i sell so many iphones and none are ever defective or DOA. But I also worry about what kind of case i need for this phone. I was looking at the lifeproof but i dont really think i need that much protection. Plus im not liking that case b/c of the dock port and only being able to use the Apple cord specifically. So what kind of case would be a good case and I plan on just getting the invisible shield. Also does the calendar sync(google) work with the exchange setup for shared calendars as well? Thanks

EDIT: I should say I AM switching just looking at how well the things i need will work.

Last edited:

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't stress about the case-I use a very simple one to protect the back, but I refuse to go with a monstrous Otterbox so it looks like I'm carrying around a small briefcase. Just get the insurance or the Apple insurance on the phone and you're good to go. I use an Incipio that has a rubber protective sleeve and a hard plastic backing. Leaves all the ports open and covers the volume buttons. I don't have a screen protector yet- but I am very easy on my phones and have never scratched a screen.
The iCal will work with Google Calendar, the only thing is it won't reverse sync...in other words, you can put stuff on Google cal that will show up on iCal, but you can't put stuff on iCal and have it show up on Google Cal...at least I don't think you can- I have not spent a lot of time trying to make that work. I used Android exclusively for years and had the same concerns, but I don't bother using anything but Google Maps left over from my Android days. I love how easy it is to use iCal, especially when Siri can add things for me.

Reactions: |-KGB-|CaptHowdy

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
my main thing is that my wife and I share our google calendars. So i put in my work schedule and other things, they sync and then also show up on her phone as well. So I should input that stuff on my google calendar from the PC so it shows up on both? Is there another option to share calendars from the phones themselves. I am talking my wife into getting an iPhone as well just b/c she wants a phone that works and i know that these just work. thanks for all the info. I think i will skip the case and just get the apple care. its the same damn cost as the case lol

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have gone back and fourth over the years, I have recently concluded a 9 month android stint and have gone to the iPhone 4s ... I left the Samsung Galaxy S2 here are my thoughts

Android Pros

• Ability to download files directly to the file system and have access to the file system

• Love having a back button that truly takes you back (even from one application to prior app)

• Custom Roms! ... Nice to add system level tweaks that keep it interesting

• Speed, Galaxy S2 is really fast

• Larger Screen Options

• Alternative Launchers

• Alternative Keyboards

However iOS just works, and the build quality of the iPhone 4/4s is fantastic, yes a bit more fragile but overall feels great in the hand. The quality of the retina display is fantastic and apps that you download from the app store are much more polished than their android counterparts. Now that iCloud is free you have a great sync solution out of the box that not only works as well as google services they just look better, you ever visit iCloud.com? The web apps look great!

While I did have a good time away from iOS I have to tell you in the end iOS IMO is the superior platform that has a great balance of features, stability, performance and aesthetics.

Last edited:

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
my main thing is that my wife and I share our google calendars. So i put in my work schedule and other things, they sync and then also show up on her phone as well. So I should input that stuff on my google calendar from the PC so it shows up on both? Is there another option to share calendars from the phones themselves. I am talking my wife into getting an iPhone as well just b/c she wants a phone that works and i know that these just work. thanks for all the info. I think i will skip the case and just get the apple care. its the same damn cost as the case lol

That would be the best way in for it to still work. Probably just bookmark the link to Google Calendar in the browser, then add directly that way. Or just get the wife an iPhone and kiss Google Cal bye bye..lol.
This is the case I have: Incipio SILICRYLIC for iPhone 4 - eBags.com
I would definitely advise you have some protection for the back glass of the phone-this is minimal but is better than nothing, IMO.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Google Calendar sync does work both ways, you just need to tell google which calendars you would like to sync. Go to this site and select the calendars you want synced to your iPhone.

Google Sync for your phone

Google Sync works great!

Reactions: |-KGB-|CaptHowdy

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
thanks a lot guys. i appreciate the help. i intend on jailbreaking just b/c i cant leave anything JUST stock. Plus i like the idea of sideloading apps. For the 4s I have seen there is only a tethered jailbreak currently. Am i correct? Thanks again

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Google Calendar sync does work both ways, you just need to tell google which calendars you would like to sync. Go to this site and select the calendars you want synced to your iPhone.

Google Sync for your phone

Google Sync works great!
Jsn, does this work for you? I have it set to sync just as in the article, but it will not add events to my Google Calendar when I put them on iCal.However, it works fine when I put stuff on Google Cal-they show up on iCal...
There is no jailbreak for 4S yet, from my understanding- they only have recently attained untethered for the iP 4 only...correct me if I'm wrong...

sofryj

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
thanks a lot guys. i appreciate the help. i intend on jailbreaking just b/c i cant leave anything JUST stock. Plus i like the idea of sideloading apps. For the 4s I have seen there is only a tethered jailbreak currently. Am i correct? Thanks again

There is no jailbreak, tetherered or otherwise, for the iPhone 4S or the iPad2. There has not been a working jailbreak for any A5 chip devices released yet...and don't believe any of the websited that claim to have one.

Reactions: rich67

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Nope. All of the info I have read (because I was looking into it as well) have managed to exploit the iPhone 4, and not the 4s.

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
that explains why i couldnt find any info myself lol. thanks. ill just get one and hold off on jailbreaking obviously. still worth the switch to me. i am getting sick of android.

ChaosShadow

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I, too, was a die-hard Android guy. I rooted, flashed ROMs and Kernels, OC'd... you name it! However, I also got sick and tired of my phone locking up, lagging, apps crashing, apps inconsistently working.... etc.

Now that I have the iPhone, I totally love it! It just works! :p

As for your questions, there are a LOT of good cases out there, but if you are looking for cases that won't interfere with docking, look into the casemate barely-there series, or you can go the invisible shield route too

As for syncing with google, you can setup your Gmail account as an exchange account, and your Gmail will be fully synced and will also be push as well. As for the calendar, I think it only syncs one way, from Google account to iPhone... but not the other way.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Jsn, does this work for you? I have it set to sync just as in the article, but it will not add events to my Google Calendar when I put them on iCal.However, it works fine when I put stuff on Google Cal-they show up on iCal...
There is no jailbreak for 4S yet, from my understanding- they only have recently attained untethered for the iP 4 only...correct me if I'm wrong...

Yep, in iCal on your mac go to preferences/accounts .. And then click on delegation .. Make sure you enable all of your google calendars.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73