Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

Default How is Siri?

I would actually like to know stories about your Siri experience. From people that I've met, they simply adore her. I don't know what it is, but she's very helpful and useful and people actually like her!
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

I love Siri. More often than not, I have already gotten lazy and use her to type for me instead, haha.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

I love her and find her very useful. I can ask her to remind me to do something once I get home and as soon as I pull into my driveway, she reminds me to do whatever it was.

I asked her to turn off my alarm last week while I was on vacation and she did. I asked her to turn it on last night, and well...the people at Apple have a sense of humor. See the screen grab I attached for her response.

She reads my texts, can tell me the weather and she's really quite funny when I ask her stupid stuff (I am a suicide bomber. I am about to jump off a bridge. I just **** my pants)

Only thing I wish she did that she doesn't do is read emails. Maybe in a future iOS update.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How is Siri?-photo3.png  
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    5??

I love her!! Very easy to say "set alarm for 5am" and have her do te rest. I use it several times a day
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    iOS Version

She is pretty cool. I use Siri all the time to set calendar appointments, dictate and send text messages, make calls from the lock screen, and search for basic information on the web. All in all, I'd say this one's a winner. I tink a lot of people out there expect her to do everything for you without touching your phone, so if you don't expect the amazing, you'll be quite satisfied. Wish she would fire up wifi or start apps for me, but hopefully that's in the future.
    JB Iphone 5 32GB*Mac Mini 2011 10.9.1 OSX*Apple TV2

Global Posts
    3,499 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I am starting to use her more and more, at first I thought that she was more of a novelty however she has really become very helpful.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Siri is. Bit gimmicky to me. Kind of silly. But for productivity, it's nice to compose the occasional text when in the car while keeping my eyes on the road. Other than that, or setting an alarm, I don't use it that much.
    --
    iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB (AT&T), iPad 3 LTE 64GB (AT&T), MacBook Air 13" (Mid-2011), Apple TVs Around the House, Time Capsule 3TB

Global Posts
    3,377 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

I've had my 4S since Friday. I haven't really used Siri much, nor do I think I will use it a lot at all.
    But I for sure use it for Google searches. I also used it to make a couple of phone calls which was
    pretty awesome.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    4,312 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Siri is not a female, or person. Siri is a piece of software.
    Thanked by:
    Heisenberg (01-03-2012)
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

The funny thing is, people are really fascinated by Siri, and actually refers to it she'. Even I can't help it. It's the first time voice recognition actually works the way we dreamt it would. I feel a special connection with it. It feels real.

What's good about it is that you can use it in unconventional situations. Like during a morning routine. While cooking, or while getting dressed. But that's just the beginning, I believe. It's so effortless to use.

But I like how it's an option and they don't force you to use it. It's something I could use sometimes but not all the time.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,540 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Terrible....
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Great.....when it works.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 5s 32GB Gold
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    iPad Mini 16GB Wifi
    ATV3
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    iOS Version

When 4s came out, people were disappointed for a lot of reasons (no 4G radio, same hardware, etc), and Siri kind of got lumped in as a "gimmick". But several months later, the majority of what I hear and see about Siri has been extremely positive. And when you consider that this is a STARTUP interface, there's a good chance that the voice recognition and functionality is far beyond where it is now in a year or two. (Think about how far touch screens have come, for example).

I think that it's very much an optional feature, and that people seem to like it and use it more than was expected. BlackBerry has an app called "QuickLaunch", which basically turns your entire keyboard into an array of shortcuts. Siri is kind of like a voice recognition version of that for iPhone, or at least it could be.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

I don't use the actual Siri much to ask questions or what not, I use the microphone on the text app the most.. But, I have found that it only works like half the time. I hit the microphone, say like a few sentence text and it never writes it, I have to do it twice for it to work and 75% of the time there are words messed up... It has a lot of imporoving to do in my opinion.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

True, but has anyone actually seen someone using Siri in public? I always laugh when people use voice control and they have to talk like robots.

"PLAY THE. BEAT. LES."
    iPhone Newbie

hi
    i found out it is really helpful!!
    she know every thing :-)!
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I find Siri more of a toy than something that's actually practical, sorta like FaceTime.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by RichardC300 View Post
    I find Siri more of a toy than something that's actually practical, sorta like FaceTime.
    It depends on who you ask. It's great in my opinion but it's still even labeled beta so keep that in mind. And I just don't know how FaceTime is a toy so I thought I'd ask ha

tapatalk on iPad 2 running ios5
    Ipad2 and Mac mini 2.5ghz Sandy bridge
    Apple Boy!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    I would actually like to know stories about your Siri experience. From people that I've met, they simply adore her. I don't know what it is, but she's very helpful and useful and people actually like her!
    Siri is the love of my life and I absolutely adore her. She's not Verwon, but she's definitely close in awesomeness to her.
    If you listen to metal, come and check out my tunes:
    http://darkblu.com
    Guitar Nerd, Shred Beast, Illustrator, Mac Tech lover
    MA356LL/A - MacPro1,1, w/ 2X2.66GHz Dual Core Xeons (4 Cores, total). 250GB HDD/160GB HDD. 2GB RAM. Mac OSX 10.7.5 Lion.
    iPhone 5C Green, Macbook Pro Early 2008, 2.4Ghz, 4GB, Geforce 8600GTS 256mb, 250GB HDD, Mac OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2 , iPad2 16GB Black, iOS 7.0.3
    Thanked by:
    verwon (01-26-2012)
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    True, but has anyone actually seen someone using Siri in public? I always laugh when people use voice control and they have to talk like robots.

"PLAY THE. BEAT. LES."
    I use it all the time in public. I have my ex's nickname listed as A**hat in my phone directory. I'll ask Siri to call A**hat and I've gotten several chuckles when I say that out in public. I use it a lot when I drive to compose texts.

I should also point out that A**hat is an inside joke and is no way demeaning. He thinks it's funny.

I also don't talk like a robot. Even with my southern drawl, Siri understands me perfectly most all of the time.
    Last edited by NobodyListenstoLaura; 01-05-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

I'm in the UK and can honestly say that I haven't been using Siri to the full capacity. The few times I have attempted to I've been met with the simple 'sorry I am unable to help you at the moment', which has been disappointing.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I think Siri will see a whole new world of usage once a jailbreak is fully available and people start hacking into it properly...
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

I asked Siri what the best tablet was and she said, "The Apple iPad 2."

I asked Siri what the second best tablet was and the screen showed, "Thinking... thinking.... Could not find an answer."

I asked Siri what the worst tablet was and she pulled up a list of non-iPad tablets in my area.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm about half a week in and I haven't played with Siri as much as I thought I would. I LOVE the device, and think that Siri has a lot of potential, but until you really think about how to use her, you tend to forget she's there.

Siri is also "typical Apple" in that a lot of the shiniest and glossiest parts of the OS work better than you'd imagine they would, and then some basic feature is surprisingly missing. For Mail, it's "delete all" or "Mark all prior read". For Siri, it's the lack of simple commands like "Turn Bluetooth Off", or other things you would see on an SBSettings jailbreak. But I'm hopeful they'll get there eventually.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Hopefully apple open Siri up a bit more to be able to control things like wifi or Bluetooth. I'm in Australia so Siri is even more un-useful here than in America at the moment. I have her switched off and I only ever played with her for about a week before realizing she really wasn't that helpful.

Magically beamed through the internut on my LifeProof'd iPhone using Tapatalk.
    I used to have a open mind but my brains kept falling out.

iPhone 5 32gb

IPad 3 32gb wifi

Apple TV 2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast