Could I risk without a screen protector

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
When I owned an iPhone 3G in 2008. I used a Speck Products toughskin case and PowerSupport crystal clear screen protector. It was great. I had the iPhone 4 in an Otterbox defender and it was very protected but I didn't enjoy the retina screen as I felt the OD screen protector dulled the screen. I bought an iPhone 4S in November and I have been using 2 cases back and forth. The OD, OC with crystal clear screen protector and OC without screen protector. I am liking the OC without screen protector but in the back of my mind, I will probably reapply the screen protector shortly. The iPhone 4 and 4S does scratch and I don't want to risk it.

Iforseti

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
If you're going with a film, get the anti glare. I do not use a film on my iPhone or iPad and I have had no problems (3+ years). There again I don't surf or skate on mine and I don't use it as a frisbee. I just mean to say that I treat them as if I paid hundreds of dollars for them, oh, I did. ;)

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
My recently replaced iPhone 4 is in my Otterbox Defender until I can purchase an anti-glare screen protector. I'm trying to keep it mint.

Interesting thread. I have this question also...my wife and I just ordered Otterbox Reflex cases, which I think comes with one of those adhesive screen protectors, but otherwise would leave the skin exposed.

The "ridge" of most cases raises the glass away from most surfaces you would set it down on, so it's really just a question of whether you keep it in a pocket/purse with keys or anything that would scratch it.

My view is this: I would do anything reasonable to protect my expensive phone, but if the screen protector makes it look WORSE than it would even with a few superficial scratches, what's really the point? I used several film protectors on my BlackBerry (which was a smaller screen and NOT a touch screen) and they bubbled and peeled pretty easily. Also, if it inhibits the performance of the touch screen AT ALL (like pinch zoom, tapping, or sliding finger for games), that's not going to fly with me. Suppose I could try it out though.

(P.S. First post here - I'm a refugee from CrackBerry.com, iPhone 4s arriving next week. VERY excited)

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I took a hard look at my 3GS that I've used for years without any cover or case, and honestly I can't see any scratch on the surface. Plenty of minor ones on the back, though.

karuzo#IM

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Would the iPhone be durable with it? I mean I tried best skin ever and it gave a horrible result, orange skin, dust and scratches.

Even cheap adhesive ones don't work, so all I can do now is go without one... that a good idea?

I had a screen protector with my 3gs first. When I got the 4 I tried one on, but it ruined the whole retina 'experience' so pilled it off. I'm just being careful since which has been for a while now. I would be more concerned about dropping the phone than scratching it.

Doron

GulfCoastToad

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
All depends on where you're gonna take your phone, and what you're going to do with it. I've never had a case or a screen protector on any iPhone I've owned, and I've had about 15 by now. Nary a scratch.

Personally, I don't like the way my finger catches when I swipe it across a screen with a screen protector on it. YMMV.

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I have never used a screen protector on any of my iPhones and have never gotten a scratch on it

you are absolutely right

itunes.apple.com/us/app/love-quotes-for-moods-love/id354968601?mt=8
App Store - Love quotes for Moods - Love quotes |Love poems | love spells | true love quotes for the heart

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, they're great. I've used them on all 3 of my iPhones, and the iPad 1 and 2. Supper easy to apply and believe it or not it went on correctly the first time I tried even on a screen as big as the iPad. You can get 2 protectors in a pack now for $14 which I think is a good price considering the protection that it offers.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

I think so

download love quotes for ipad
itunes.apple.com/us/app/love-quotes-for-moods-love/id354968601?mt=8

runner7395

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I used screen protectors but every time I would go into the AT&T store and play around with the same phone that I had, there screen always looked so much better than mine. So I took mine off and have been content ever since. For me they just seem to ruin one of the main reasons I have the iP4S, the retina display. I will never use a screen protector again, I just try to be careful. If I get a scratch, it's just a phone and I will get the new iPhone each year anyway.

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Would the iPhone be durable with it? I mean I tried best skin ever and it gave a horrible result, orange skin, dust and scratches.

Even cheap adhesive ones don't work, so all I can do now is go without one... that a good idea?

I wouldn't recommend not using a screen protector on any Smart phone, much less an iPhone. I put a screen protector on my 4S and then put it inside of an Otterbox Defender case, which has a screen protector built in that not only protects the touch screen, but allows use of it as well. There is also the Ballistic case with built in screen protection as well. Protect your iPhone investment.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Never used one. Never had an issue. I use a flip case and the screen is protected by the case unless I'm using it, and my finger is not going to scratch it...

gern blanston

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I carried my iphone 4 without any protection from launch day until I sold it in October 2011, and it didn't have any scratches. I inspected it very closely under a bright flashlight, sunlight, normal indoor light, etc, from various angles, and I couldn't see any scratches. I kept it in my left pocket with no other items (keys, coins).

I used the power support screen protector on my 3G, and I liked it: it was very easy to apply, and it didn't detract from the screen's appearance.

PrePlus79

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Considering the 4s screen is specifically designed to enhance the picture and resist fingerprints, wouldn't a screen protector interfere with that?

GulfCoastToad

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Considering the 4s screen is specifically designed to enhance the picture and resist fingerprints, wouldn't a screen protector interfere with that?

AFAIK, the answer is yes. The iPhone's glass is oleophobic, meaning oil resistant. I'm not aware of any screen protectors that do this as well as the iPhone's glass, which is another reason I don't have one on mine.

If Apple thought their $500 phone needed a cheap plastic screen protector, they'd have shipped it with one. This is just like those people who buy a new car and rush out to spend $100 on an air filter that they think doubles their fuel mileage. If it were that simple, GM woulda done it already. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: PrePlus79

anon(4732323)

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I personally wouldn't take the risk. Considering the cost of the phone. You can buy some brilliant screen protectors, I've had mine on for a while now & you wouldn't even notice. Guess it comes down to personal preference :)

Tony the Tiger

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I handle my iPhone 4 like it's a new born baby, so I roll without a screen protector or a case. It's been that way since Day 1 of the launch of the iPhone 4.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner