Status
Not open for further replies.

anjru0805

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
When I tap the back of my new 4S or drop it onto the couch from a few inches, I hear a slight rattle coming from inside the phone. Is this normal?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Some 4S owners have this, others don't. My first 4S did not, hopefully my second one won't either. I've seen a few posts on this forum already about this, basically that sound is coming from the camera, it won't harm your phone in any way. However, if it really bothers you take it to Apple and have it replaced. Don't be surprised though if your replacement has the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have had 6 iPhone4s, and all of them did it. As does my husbands 4.

Also, why would you drop it on purpose from any distance.

garrett

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
my girl and I both have a 4S and do not have any rattle...

are you sure its the camera and not the sim card rattling in the tray for those that have a sim...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I read too it depends where u leave the zoom at as they say it's that extra lens they added that makes the noise

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the "rattle" and I've heard it's from the camera as well. If you tap the back of mine around the camera, that's where the sound comes from. Don't worry - it's normal!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I read too it depends where u leave the zoom at as they say it's that extra lens they added that makes the noise

This is good to know. I knew it had to do with the camera, but wasn't aware that it had to do with the positioning of the zoom.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

garrett

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

you do realize that the camera in the 4S has no moving parts. it does not have an optical zoom it only uses a digital zoom.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
you do realize that the camera in the 4S has no moving parts. it does not have an optical zoom it only uses a digital zoom.

Just what I read someone said it was the extra lens they put in also

garrett

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Just what I read someone said it was the extra lens they put in also

its very possible it also could have something to do with the image stabilization in the new lens too.

its just weird that some have the rattle and some dont...

Pjr772

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the rattle, posted somewhere on here about it, it was so bad that I could hear it vibrating through the earpiece when talking on the phone. Brought it to the genius bar, they took it apart and found nothing out if order but said what it was doing was not normal and gave me a new one. The new one does not rattle at all unless you really tap the camera hard. Guy at genius bar said a slight rattle when tapped hard is normal but anything more is not. Just my two cents

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

You are actually incorrect in saying it has no moving parts. The auto-focus does in fact have physically moving parts. This is what causes the rattle.

Just do this simple test. Open your camera, get close up to an object and hold your finger on the screen over the object. This locks the auto-focus in macro (close-up). Now that the auto-focus is locked, and not moving, tap the back of your phone now. No rattle, right?

Conclusion: it's the moving parts in the auto-focus mechanism. This could theoretically be solved through software which locks the auto-focus mechanism in its current position when it is not being used. This would eliminate the rattle. All in all though, the rattle isn't doing your phone any harm and is normal.

draztikrhymez

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed the rattling yesterday. So is the main consensus that it's normal? I'm only on day 6 of my 30 days so I can take it back. But if the new one would have the same I don't know if I'd bother

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner