Unlocked GSM iPhone 4S:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just placed an order with Apple for the unlocked GSM iPhone 4S. I have never bought an unlocked iPhone from Apple so I have a few questions for those of you that have.

1) When my unlocked 4S arrives can I just pop my AT&T (post paid) and T-Mobile (prepaid) SIM cards into it and it will work right away? Or do I have to call my carriers and get them to activate it?

2) If I jailbreak the 4S and later decide to undo it by restoring via iTunes will it remove the unlock? I have heard that some people who bought theirs unlocked from eBay had issues with upgrading the OS. I was hoping that I could avoid this by purchasing it directly from Apple.

3) Is there any downside to using a 4S that's unlocked, such as no support from AT&T or T-Mobile? I did purchase AppleCare + just in case. I was glad to see that Apple also offers this on their unlocked iPhones as well.

Thanks for any help you can offer me. :)

6c2478a7-7439-4ac8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I will be honest with you... I would just call and ask a Apple rep. You will get the correct answers. Also, I wouldnt want to use At&t for support in my wildest dreams. Apple Care is so much nicer and much more knowledgeable.

Reactions: Eileen89

cold war kid

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Just placed an order with Apple for the unlocked GSM iPhone 4S. I have never bought an unlocked iPhone from Apple so I have a few questions for those of you that have.

1) When my unlocked 4S arrives can I just pop my AT&T (post paid) and T-Mobile (prepaid) SIM cards into it and it will work right away? Or do I have to call my carriers and get them to activate it?

2) If I jailbreak the 4S and later decide to undo it by restoring via iTunes will it remove the unlock? I have heard that some people who bought theirs unlocked from eBay had issues with upgrading the OS. I was hoping that I could avoid this by purchasing it directly from Apple.

3) Is there any downside to using a 4S that's unlocked, such as no support from AT&T or T-Mobile? I did purchase AppleCare + just in case. I was glad to see that Apple also offers this on their unlocked iPhones as well.

Thanks for any help you can offer me. :)

Click to view quoted image

Activation will occur with either SIM and you will only need to activate once. This is a factory unlocked iPhone straight from Apple, so, you should have no problems upgrading, downgrading, or jailbreaking. And if you should encounter a problem, there is no reason Apple won't help you out. (as long as you return your iPhone to a stock OS.)

People who have bought unlocked iPhones on eBay and lost their unlocks when upgrading were either; scammed into thinking their iPhones were factory unlocked, or didn't heed the sellers warnings to NOT upgrade the OS.

You'll be fine! ;)

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I can answer this for you. I bought 2.

When you open the box connect it to iTunes. It will then contact the Apple server and you will then be met with a message saying that your phone has been unlocked. Easy as that.

The lock is permanent and will not undo when jailbreaking or with software updates. Factory unlocked means it will remain that way. Period.

T-Mobile will give you support when it comes to settings. That is really it. Also T-Mobile does sell micro SIM cards. Just stop in and ask for one.

MMS is the only thing that does not work on an unlocked iPhone 4S.

Last edited:

Oliverg109

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
The best thing I can tell you is this: you have an iPhone 4S unlocked you do not have to worry about it locking or anything of that nature. I have had maybe around 15 of these and I can say that they all work with ATT and T-mobile with no issue. Another thing is that you will not get MMS or 3G with T-mobile. Restoring the phone will have no effect on the lock of the phone.

Oliverg109

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
:confused::confused::confused:

Since when? I've had both an iPhone 3G and a 3GS on T-Mobile and MMS worked just fine. All I had to do was enter the appropriate T-Mobile MMS settings.

You might be right about the settings, I just never even bothered in looking for it. I know for sure it doesn't work of the bat. I sent a MMS to my friend yesterday and never got it, and he has t-mobile on the unlocked 4S

cold war kid

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
You might be right about the settings, I just never even bothered in looking for it. I know for sure it doesn't work of the bat. I sent a MMS to my friend yesterday and never got it, and he has t-mobile on the unlocked 4S

Yeah, unlocked iPhones give you access to the APN Settings screen under Network settings. There you can edit APN info for your carrier which gives you your data connection, and MMS setting.

I used "epc.t-mobile.com" for data, and "wap.voicestream.com" for MMS; along with some other generic T-Mobile MMS settings which I don't remember now. The only thing was that pictures I received were resized to a ridiculously small size because T-Mobile did not recognize the iPhone as a phone approved for it's network. But, yeah; MMS definitely works on T-mo, even if the pictures are more pixelated than a QVGA display.

Oliverg109

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, unlocked iPhones give you access to the APN Settings screen under Network settings. There you can edit APN info for your carrier which gives you your data connection, and MMS setting.

I used "epc.t-mobile.com" for data, and "wap.voicestream.com" for MMS; along with some other generic T-Mobile MMS settings which I don't remember now. The only thing was that pictures I received were resized to a ridiculously small size because T-Mobile did not recognize the iPhone as a phone approved for it's network. But, yeah; MMS definitely works on T-mo, even if the pictures are more pixelated than a QVGA display.

I will have to google the settings to make his MMS works.

cold war kid

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Reactions: Oliverg109

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Unless you jailbreak you cannot get these settings to work on the iPhones 4S. I have been able to get MMS working on every iPhone (via jailbreak) except for the 4S. And I am done with jailbreak so I am out of luck. Just plugging in those settings will not do anything except allow you to SEND MMS. When someone sends you an MMS on the 4S (T-Mobile), it comes will a message that saids it couldnt be displayed (or something like that).

cold war kid

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Unless you jailbreak you cannot get these settings to work on the iPhones 4S. I have been able to get MMS working on every iPhone (via jailbreak) except for the 4S. And I am done with jailbreak so I am out of luck. Just plugging in those settings will not do anything except allow you to SEND MMS. When someone sends you an MMS on the 4S (T-Mobile), it comes will a message that saids it couldnt be displayed (or something like that).

Hmmm... I wonder why that is? T-Mobile has always been (unofficially) supportive of unlocked iPhones on their network. They even provide microSIM cards at corporate stores, and some even have iPhone accessories for sale.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I JB and unlocked my 3GS almost a year ago and was able to get the correct APN settings for T-Mobile by going to "unlockit.com" from safari, hit continue, custom APN, and select T-Mobile as the carrier from the drop down box. Follow the instructions. The last step is to go to the network settings and change T-Mobile for the network settings.... This worked for me so I'm thinking it should get MMS working for you as well. Let us know.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to thank everyone who replied here and for all your help. This Apple forum is absolutely the best! :)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I will be honest with you... I would just call and ask a Apple rep. You will get the correct answers.

Garz, if I call Apple and ask them about the JB part of my question, they would laugh and hang up on me, lol. :p

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Also T-Mobile does sell micro SIM cards. Just stop in and ask for one.

I was in the mall this evening so I did stop into T-Mobile to find out how much they were. The rep said they were $20 so I left without getting one. I figure I can easily get a T-Mobile micro sim card from eBay for less than $5 shipped.

ebahou

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
aren't there some cydia tweaks that fix MMS on unlocked phones, specifically on T-Mobile? I've never unlocked so not too certain.