Managing photos on 4S - if I delete them are they gone?

abscam_man

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
OK. I have a camera roll and photo stream. CR has 305 photos, PS has 462 photos. General about screen indicates I have 767 photos. Fine.

Camera roll and photo stream seem to be more or less duplicates of one another, so why 762 photos? More importantly I'm on a trip and running out of room on the phone and would like to take more photos. If I've synced the photos to iCloud and delete them in camera roll and/ or photo stream are they deleted elsewhere? I'm confused and so far haven't figured out the answer. Thanks!

Clayton

munchkinsdad

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes if you delete pics off your camera roll, the will be deleted in the cloud too. You could install drop box or some other file management software (box.net or whatever) and upload your pics there. Then delete them from your iPhone and when you are back from trip, you could organize them.

As far as PS, it will keep your photos even if you delete from camera roll, probably because it shares the pics with all your devices. I deleted some pics I didn't want others to see from my camera roll and didn't think to look on PS and the pictures were still there!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Photostream copies your camera roll up to 1,000 pictures. If you delete photos from your camera roll, they remain in your photo stream until you hit 1,000.

DZD

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
OK. I have a roll and photo stream. CR has 305 photos, PS has 462 photos. General about screen indicates I have 767 photos. Fine.

Camera roll and photo stream seem to be more or less duplicates of one another, so why 762 photos? More importantly I'm on a trip and running out of room on the phone and would like to take more photos. If I've synced the photos to iCloud and delete them in camera roll and/ or photo stream are they deleted elsewhere? I'm confused and so far haven't figured out the answer. Thanks!

Clayton

What you want to do is to turn off photo stream on your phone (Settings > Photo > Photo Stream) and Reset Photo Stream on iCloud (login > Click on your name on the top right corner > Click on Advanced > Reset Photo Stream).

Do NOT delete what is in your camera roll - if you do, it will delete them from iCloud too.

You are correct - they are more or less duplicates, however Photo Stream still has any photos you've deleted from Camera Roll.

If you have a laptop/Mac/PC with you, you can also plug in your iPhone then use the option to Import Photos (windows speak) then take the option to delete them after importing to get more space. I do this instead of syncing.

Hope this helps.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Deleting from your camera roll does not delete from Photo Stream.

You will not lose anything from Photo Stream until you've reached that 1,000 photo limit - or until the next iOS update comes out and you can (finally) manually delete from Photo Stream.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2