Notification alerts

svmaj

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a job where I am often on call 24 hours. This means I have to have my Iphone on so I can recieve calls. The problem is that when I recieve an email (usually spam) or some other notification during the night the alert sound can wake me up. Is there a way to turn the sound off on the alert for emails and other notifications but leave the sound on for the phone?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you jailbreak, it can be done via an app called MyProfiles. Based on time, you can set the phone to only ring for incoming calls. I don't know why that's not built into the iOS, or an app in the AppStore.

candersond

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a job where I am often on call 24 hours. This means I have to have my Iphone on so I can recieve calls. The problem is that when I recieve an email (usually spam) or some other notification during the night the alert sound can wake me up. Is there a way to turn the sound off on the alert for emails and other notifications but leave the sound on for the phone?

I had a similar problem - .I have kids, and want to be able to get to them right away if it's an emergency - and so they know to call if it's urgent and text if its not. On my prior phone (palm pre plus) I could set the notifications to vibrate and calls to ring - no problem, but I couldn't do that with the iphone. (I'm in an office where we're not suppose to have our cell phone sounds on - but they don't police it if it's a rare interuption) so I searched around and found a solution on the web. You can download a silent ringtone (just google it) and assign that ringtone to your notifications and set the phone to vibe + ring. Now, my phone rings if someone calls and vibrates if I get a text / email / notification. (It also vibrates when it rings, but to me, that was a small price to pay to get what I wanted). I don't know if the vibrations would wake you or not - you could also assign the silent ringtone to notifications, and just have the phone on ring only - but then you would essentially get no notification indicators.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
This is one of my biggest complaints about the iPhone, and the one of the things I miss about my Blackberry. On my BB, I had a Blackberry Ring profile that would ring for telephone calls only, with no other notifications or alerts. I used this at night when I'd only receive emergency calls. I also had a profile I used for business meetings that would vibrate for telephone calls only.

Now, the only way to do this is to go into sound settings and turn everything off. This is really bothersome. Hopefully a jailbreak will be available soon.

markm

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree. On my Blackberry I had profiles and on my Android I use Silence Scheduler to turn off the sounds overnight and for standing meetings, etc. I've heard there is no API for accessing these funstions which is why there are no apps for doing this on iPhone yet.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
yeah, that is one thing I really can't believe that Apple doesn't have. I had it set on my blackberry where when I put it into my dock it went into bedside mode, and turned to ring only. It was the best.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
yeah, that is one thing I really can't believe that Apple doesn't have. I had it set on my blackberry where when I put it into my dock it went into bedside mode, and turned to ring only. It was the best.

I agree. My job is similar to the OP to where I am contacted all hours of the day (although I am contacted via email) so I can't believe that Apple doesn't have the customizable notification alerts for email: customizable ringtones for email contacts and each email account. And a separate folder/icon for each account so we can quickly see which account has the new emails. The notification center helps a bit but here are only ten messages shown at a time and all email accounts are bunched together.

Only yahoo has a push system. But we have a gmail account too so those are fetched every fifteen minutes which doesn't quite cut it.

Also, one signature goes across all accounts so if you have your business address on there, it will show on all emails. And not even an option to turn it off on certain accounts.

But other than all that, the iPhone is a great phone. ;)

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Only yahoo has a push system. But we have a gmail account too so those are fetched every fifteen minutes which doesn't quite cut it.

But other than all that, the iPhone is a great phone. ;)

Gmail is push if you set it up as an Exchange account. It works great!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2