new IOS user from Android - need some help

nexus2iphone

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm a new iPhone 4S owner on Sprint. Came from a Nexus also on Sprint. I guess to sum it up, I'm having OS shock, and don't know where to turn. I used to be on androidcentral.com and figured tipb.com is the place to ask for help! I own an ipod touch, shuffle and classic as well. I've only used them as mp3 or movie players and don't know much about IOS.

I really like the android os and had 3 phones. I figured it would take time to get used to IOS, but there are somethings I'd really appreciate some help on, or at least a point in the right direction. But before I start, I do want to say that the iPhone 4S hardware, design, accessories, battery life, recharge time, world phone capabilities are what made me make the switch. I did go back and forth a lot and use the 2 weeks Sprint gives you to test everything I could before deciding on keeping the iPhone.

Now that I've decided to keep it, I'm asking for your assistance. I realize not everything will be apples to apples, excuse the pun, but are there apps that will help me around my issues as well? I'm also looking into Jailbreaking it when it's possible so that I can get a file browser.

Can I share pictures off of my iPhone to another android or iPhone device? Is the only way to email them? I've read that I can't do bluetooth sharing?

How do you attach things in email? I'm used to being able to attach anything in Android off the device's storage. And multiple items as well?

Is there a way to have pictures in email show up in a thumbnail or something other than actually downloading the whole picture?

Is there a way to sync multiple gmail calendars without using a paid app? I checked google's help page and it seems you should be able to do it, but I don't have that option or entering my account in m.google.com when I browse to it using safari?

(btw I use gmail but have it setup as exchange so that I cann have push email, not sure if that makes a difference)

Without using iTunes, can I delete movie or music off of the device? When I'm travelling I tend to load up movies and then want to get rid of the 1 or 2 I watched on the flight so that I regain my space for pictures or other app downloads.

Is there a way to default the camera on the lock screen double tap to another camera I downloaded?

I miss widgets, and yes I know there's no fix, but are there apps that simlutate this functionality? As an example, facebook and calendar widgets.

And lastly, is there an app or way to change the lock screen / security screen? My nexus had a lock pattern screen that acted as a lock screen and security screen in one. For my iphone, I have to swipe to unlock then type in a passcode. Or is there another way of setting this up? FYI, I like the pattern unlock over passcode because I don't have to hit numbers while driving, just a simple pattern and then switch to speakerphone or to use siri.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate the help. I've been reading up and researching. But there are so many comparison sites, that don't actually take into account the usability. Just which OS is better etc...I'm not in it for the competition, just would love some simple solutions to my issues :) I can't believe how may writers focus on the competition, couldn't find a site that actually would help someone go from iPhone to android and vice versa. I figured that would be a great subsite for mobile nations to have, since they have experts from so many different phone OSes.

Maddox995

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
From one Android user to the next. I had the same questions but in the week I have own the iPhone 4s I am whizzing around it now. Everything is control around iTunes learn that and get it set up and everything else will come into place.
Just about everything you can do on the Android you can do on the iPhone with iTunes. Just take a deep breath and learn iTunes and read as much as you can on here.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm a new iPhone 4S owner on Sprint. Came from a Nexus also on Sprint. I guess to sum it up, I'm having OS shock, and don't know where to turn. I used to be on androidcentral.com and figured tipb.com is the place to ask for help! I own an ipod touch, shuffle and classic as well. I've only used them as mp3 or movie players and don't know much about IOS.

I really like the android os and had 3 phones. I figured it would take time to get used to IOS, but there are somethings I'd really appreciate some help on, or at least a point in the right direction. But before I start, I do want to say that the iPhone 4S hardware, design, accessories, battery life, recharge time, world phone capabilities are what made me make the switch. I did go back and forth a lot and use the 2 weeks Sprint gives you to test everything I could before deciding on keeping the iPhone.

Now that I've decided to keep it, I'm asking for your assistance. I realize not everything will be apples to apples, excuse the pun, but are there apps that will help me around my issues as well? I'm also looking into Jailbreaking it when it's possible so that I can get a file browser.

Can I share pictures off of my iPhone to another android or iPhone device? Is the only way to email them? I've read that I can't do bluetooth sharing?

How do you attach things in email? I'm used to being able to attach anything in Android off the device's storage. And multiple items as well?

Is there a way to have pictures in email show up in a thumbnail or something other than actually downloading the whole picture?

Is there a way to sync multiple gmail calendars without using a paid app? I checked google's help page and it seems you should be able to do it, but I don't have that option or entering my account in m.google.com when I browse to it using safari?

(btw I use gmail but have it setup as exchange so that I cann have push email, not sure if that makes a difference)

Without using iTunes, can I delete movie or music off of the device? When I'm travelling I tend to load up movies and then want to get rid of the 1 or 2 I watched on the flight so that I regain my space for pictures or other app downloads.

Is there a way to default the camera on the lock screen double tap to another camera I downloaded?

I miss widgets, and yes I know there's no fix, but are there apps that simlutate this functionality? As an example, facebook and calendar widgets.

And lastly, is there an app or way to change the lock screen / security screen? My nexus had a lock pattern screen that acted as a lock screen and security screen in one. For my iphone, I have to swipe to unlock then type in a passcode. Or is there another way of setting this up? FYI, I like the pattern unlock over passcode because I don't have to hit numbers while driving, just a simple pattern and then switch to speakerphone or to use siri.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate the help. I've been reading up and researching. But there are so many comparison sites, that don't actually take into account the usability. Just which OS is better etc...I'm not in it for the competition, just would love some simple solutions to my issues :) I can't believe how may writers focus on the competition, couldn't find a site that actually would help someone go from iPhone to android and vice versa. I figured that would be a great subsite for mobile nations to have, since they have experts from so many different phone OSes.

Okay. Your log post will have to get a long reply. :)

1) Pictures can be shared by mms, email, twitter, Facebook, instagram and other apps like that. No Bluetooth.

2) Pictures are emailed by going into the photos app and hitting the arrow key. Tap on the pictures you want to share, then hit share then email. Generally, documents can be emailed the same way, through the app you wrote them in.

3) This one I don't think you can do, sadly. Not without a jailbreak.

4) This one is easy. On your computer, go to the google sync website. You have to enable the calendars through there (check the ones you want), then turn calendar sync off then back on.

5) Go to Settings->General->Usage, then tap on videos. Delete the ones you're done with there.

6) With a jailbreak, yes. There's a tweak for that.

7) Some themes come with widgets, especially dreamboard themes. Definitely possible, but again, you would have to jailbreak.

8) If you jailbreak, you can download Android XT for free, it's the same lock screen you had on the nexus.

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

Reactions: nexus2iphone

nexus2iphone

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
laelipoo,

thanks a bunch!! Guess I'm waiting for the next jailbreak to be released! I'm excited to know that all of the things are at least possible.

As for the other tips, thanks, those were invaluable! I had no idea how to delete the videos without iTunes. I kept tapping on the video and thinking to myself, there has to be a way to do this, they wouldn't strand you without your PC :) Amazingly I couldn't find it anywhere either, or it kept coming. Is this in a manual of some sort that I can read through and avoid asking dumb questions? And haha, I just figured out you can swipe the video and it gives you the option to delete like email!

And attaching multiple pictures really helped, I was getting pretty frustrated with that one. I was sitting there looking at my email I'm trying to compose trying to figure out where the attachment button was....

PS. can't seem to get the additional calendars working. I've got them in calendar.google.com. I can see all 4 of my calendars. I've got my account setup using exchange, and have disabled and re-enabled calendars as you've suggested, but the other calendars refuse to show up? Any other tricks to try? Thanks!

Sorry still learning!

Thanks for taking the time to help an iPhone noob!

Last edited:

sbalchand

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
My story is same as yours. I'm still learning my way around this OS.
For files and attachments what i have done is purchase an app called iDownloads+ and also QuickOffice.
i created a folder with my name within iDownloads+
Whenever i have any documents to download from emails, i download them in this app. move them over to the new folder i created.
Use Quickoffice app to view/edit the documents.
iDownloads+ also lets you download online documents from built in browser.
It also makes it easy to email documents.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
laelipoo,

thanks a bunch!! Guess I'm waiting for the next jailbreak to be released! I'm excited to know that all of the things are at least possible.

As for the other tips, thanks, those were invaluable! I had no idea how to delete the videos without iTunes. I kept tapping on the video and thinking to myself, there has to be a way to do this, they wouldn't strand you without your PC :) Amazingly I couldn't find it anywhere either, or it kept coming. Is this in a manual of some sort that I can read through and avoid asking dumb questions? And haha, I just figured out you can swipe the video and it gives you the option to delete like email!

And attaching multiple pictures really helped, I was getting pretty frustrated with that one. I was sitting there looking at my email I'm trying to compose trying to figure out where the attachment button was....

PS. can't seem to get the additional calendars working. I've got them in calendar.google.com. I can see all 4 of my calendars. I've got my account setup using exchange, and have disabled and re-enabled calendars as you've suggested, but the other calendars refuse to show up? Any other tricks to try? Thanks!

Sorry still learning!

Thanks for taking the time to help an iPhone noob!

No problem! There are some how to guides you can download in iBooks, you probably would want to check those out. As for the calendar thing, I misspoke slightly. Leave the exchange part alone, that's good. In the browser on your phone, go to http://m.google.com . Tap on sync. Sign in, by clicking on the text that says "sign in with your google account" towards the bottom. After that, you should see your iPhone in the list. Tap it. You will see a list of all of your calendars. Check the ones you want, then resync. Tada!

nexus2iphone

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
My story is same as yours. I'm still learning my way around this OS.
For files and attachments what i have done is purchase an app called iDownloads+ and also QuickOffice.
i created a folder with my name within iDownloads+
Whenever i have any documents to download from emails, i download them in this app. move them over to the new folder i created.
Use Quickoffice app to view/edit the documents.
iDownloads+ also lets you download online documents from built in browser.
It also makes it easy to email documents.

Thanks! Trying out the quickoffice, didn't realize ms doc aren't just naturally supported.
As for the iDownloads+ it warned me of adult content when I tried to download it. Not that I don't trust you, I perhaps am looking at the wrong app? I would really like some sort of file manager, it sounds like what I'm looking for, bein able to zip pictures or files would be really handy too!

Thanks!

nexus2iphone

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
No problem! There are some how to guides you can download in iBooks, you probably would want to check those out. As for the calendar thing, I misspoke slightly. Leave the exchange part alone, that's good. In the browser on your phone, go to (can't post because of post count) . Tap on sync. Sign in, by clicking on the text that says "sign in with your google account" towards the bottom. After that, you should see your iPhone in the list. Tap it. You will see a list of all of your calendars. Check the ones you want, then resync. Tada!

Damn, you are the man! That did it, all 4 calendars synced, now I just need to jailbreak this puppy to get back just a few more features, and I'm good to go!

It's amazing what a little knowledge can do for your satisfactory experience on a device. I was thinking I made a mistake switching over, and couldn't figure out why someone would use a device so crippled, only to find out, it isn't. I'm just ignorant! :)

And to think I was really afraid to get flamed and called a troll when I initially posted!! Again, I'm amazed at the people out there willing to help ignorant and impatient fools like myself! As I learn more about this device, I promise to help pass it on!

Thanks!

sbalchand

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Trying out the quickoffice, didn't realize ms doc aren't just naturally supported.
As for the iDownloads+ it warned me of adult content when I tried to download it. Not that I don't trust you, I perhaps am looking at the wrong app? I would really like some sort of file manager, it sounds like what I'm looking for, bein able to zip pictures or files would be really handy too!

Thanks!

I had initially downloaded the free version of iDownloads+ and tried that for a week.
Only after I was assured that there was no adult content in that app I went ahead and bought it.
You could do the same. I think that warning is intended to inform about the potential of the apps to access sites with that content (I have seen it in couple other apps, like puffin browser for flash sites, none of which actually contain any adult content).

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Damn, you are the man! That did it, all 4 calendars synced, now I just need to jailbreak this puppy to get back just a few more features, and I'm good to go!

It's amazing what a little knowledge can do for your satisfactory experience on a device. I was thinking I made a mistake switching over, and couldn't figure out why someone would use a device so crippled, only to find out, it isn't. I'm just ignorant! :)

And to think I was really afraid to get flamed and called a troll when I initially posted!! Again, I'm amazed at the people out there willing to help ignorant and impatient fools like myself! As I learn more about this device, I promise to help pass it on!

Thanks!

You're very welcome. I hope your transition goes well, and if you do decide to jailbreak when it's time, that you reference the stickies in the jailbreak section. Worst case, you simply restore, but that is time consuming to do a couple times.

nexus2iphone

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
You're very welcome. I hope your transition goes well, and if you do decide to jailbreak when it's time, that you reference the stickies in the jailbreak section. Worst case, you simply restore, but that is time consuming to do a couple times.

I've been reading up a lot on jailbreaking, so when the 5.01 untethered jailbreak hits the deck, I'm ready :)

Sounds like it's a lot like rooting an android phone, I've even practiced and jailbroken my ipod touch that hasn't been updated in a while, and it went ok. Pretty excited for an untethered solution to come out!

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading up a lot on jailbreaking, so when the 5.01 untethered jailbreak hits the deck, I'm ready :)

Sounds like it's a lot like rooting an android phone, I've even practiced and jailbroken my ipod touch that hasn't been updated in a while, and it went ok. Pretty excited for an untethered solution to come out!

If you've practiced, you should be a-ok. It's really not too bad, as long as you're careful. I too have rooted an android phone, and it's mainly like the one-click solutions available for windows. Not too bad at all.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2