Going to the Caribbean!

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I know I did this a year ago but I forget what I need to do so I can bring my phone with me an use the camera, ipod, play games, and watch movies but not get killed on data charges.

The 4s is an international phone, though, isn't it? Can I pay a little extra to be able to use it (texting, email, phone calls) while I'm down there? I use Verizon.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
when I went to spain I just turned off roaming data...used wifi hotspots to check in with family...and skype calls if i had to

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I just did this. VZW has an international data plan they can put you on. It's a pro-rated plan that gives you a certain amount of gigs for data over a 30 day period. It's $30 a month to add it and well worth it. Otherwise, if you don't plan on using internet on the ship or on land, then just flip on airplane mode and you're good to go. But I was able to post Facebook updates, check in on Foursquare, and check my bank account on the ship and in port, and it only cost me $30 extra on my phone and $10 on my girlfriend's phone.

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
What's up with the sim posts? Do Verizon iPhones have sim cards?

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
What's up with the sim posts? Do Verizon iPhones have sim cards?

The Verizon iPhone 4S has a sim card on the metal band on the right of the phone.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So if I turn off cellular data, voice data, and data roaming I can use the camera, iPod, and play games? (and check in thru wifi when I find it?)

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
So if I turn off cellular data, voice data, and data roaming I can use the camera, iPod, and play games? (and check in thru wifi when I find it?)

It's easier to put it in Airplane mode. It does all those things with the switch of one button.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

Put it on airplane mode, you can also connect to a wifi while in airplane mode so you avoid any roaming charges..

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Good to know! Thank you for your help everyone! Looks like airplane mode is the way to go unless I decide to buy a package. I wish I could be completely out of touch but that isn't an option at the moment!

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
when I went to spain I just turned off roaming data...used wifi hotspots to check in with family...and skype calls if i had to

That's what I did when I was in Turks & Caicos. The hotel had wifi everywhere, so listening to XM / Pandora / etc... was just about all I used the phone for. Everyone back home could wait the week to talk to me about whatever crap was going on.

Enjoy your trip.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner