Should I Make the Switch?

linds0390#IM

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I currently have an HTC Thunderbolt which I bought back in March/April. At first I loved it, but now I am not so sure. The battery only lasts a few hours, even when I am not heavily using it. I do close out the apps, so I know that that is not the issue. It also has a glitch where sometimes my texts go to the wrong person and it is embarrassing when you have to tell that person you're sorry and that text wasn't meant for them. It also reboots constantly which I find to be annoying as well.

I have the option to upgrade my phone to the iPhone4s but I am still on the fence about it. I went and played with it in Verizon today and I LOVE the camera. It is still 8mp like mine but the screen resolution makes the picture more clear and crisp. I love how Apple offers more apps that are relevant to my life and I also love how the iPhone is sleeker looking when the Thunderbolt barely fits in my pocket. And from what I have read, Siri is pretty useful too.

Here are my concerns:

1. No flash - which shouldn't be an issue since I am not a big video person on my phone.
2. Not as customizable as Android
3. No timestamp on the texts - which is so minor it shouldn't be an issue either.
4. Unable to remove battery if need to do a battery pull.
5. The VZW employee tried to say that I would regret giving up 4G when honestly I just see it as a battery drainer anyway.
6. After reading these posts some people claim to have problems without Google Maps.
7. Cannot go online and be on the phone simultaneously, but honestly how many people do that anyway?

So for those of you who have used both platforms, what is your advice to me? Switch to iPhone or stay with Android?

Last edited:

Ip.fanboy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
hi hon, just go to an apple store and play with it... :) tho i don't think theres a big difference between 4g and 3g!! the iPhone 4s with att has the 4gs speed... well, that is what they said when the 4s came out.

Spiral_ouT

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I prefer Android. Customization, flash, expandable storage, better audio quality from advanced equalization apps, increased performance, battery and customization from cooked ROMs, apps, scripts, and hdmi & usb ports far outweigh the benefits that iOS/iPhone bring for me. Being an artist and audiophile, the Adobe Photoshop and equalization apps are enough to keep me from switching back to the iOS ecosystem. That said, only you can decide if these sort of things are of any benefit to you or not.

If better battery life, camera quality, and screen resolution are more important to you than the aforementioned features, than iPhone would definitely be the better choice.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
1. No flash - which shouldn't be an issue since I am not a big video person on my phone.
No loss there. I came from Android and rarely played games on my phone. The Safari browser integrates perfectly with most pages out there anyhow.
Again, no big deal. The only real "customizing" you can do for Android are widgets and things like the clock. I will take the bright display of the Iphone and the speed of access both internet and app-wise over a battery-draining widget any day.
3. No timestamp on the texts - which is so minor it shouldn't be an issue either.
My 4S has text timestamps...? It doesn't do it on ones closely spaced together, but it certainly does timestamp the individual texts.
LOL, no need for a battery pull on this phone. Had to do it on the Droid X about 2 times a day when it froze up. I have been using the heck out of this phone for a week and it has yet to do anything funky or freeze up on me. Not a concern at all.
5. The VZW employee tried to say that I would regret giving up 4G when honestly I just see it as a battery drainer anyway.
Big deal. We have 4G out here, but it's so spotty, you are on 3G most of the time anyway. It makes no difference to me.
6. After reading these posts some people claim to have problems without Google Maps.
Well, Google Maps works 100 times better for me on the 4S. It acquires satellite signal faster than the Android, the only issue is the lack of navigation integration. That is kind of a pain. But there are a few free nav programs that work as good if not better than Android native navigation. It's a small issue, since I do use nav quite frequently. But it isn't enough to shy away from the Iphone, IMO.
7. Cannot go online and be on the phone simultaneously, but honestly how many people do that anyway?
Exactly. I never needed that feature and could care less.

So for those of you who have used both platforms, what is your advice to me? Switch to iPhone or stay with Android?

As a Droid user for 5 years, I'd say don't be afraid of the change. I most likely will never go back to Android, since my experience thus far with IP4S is beyond my expectations. I have a Mac also, so I may be biased. Having a Mac definitely makes the phone much more enjoyable and it works seamlessly with it.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Noob,

I will go on easy on you.

1. You answered your own question.
2. Yup. Deal with it.
3. You answered your own question.
4. Oh well. Deal with it.
5. Based upon what I've read (I could be wrong), you're not too too heavy of an iPhone user. It doesn't really matter if you download an app 3 seconds faster or render a webpage two seconds faster. Besides with the bigger downloads or workload, you'll be on wi-fi right?

Just get the damn iPhone 4S. Get the 64 gig if you can. I grant you passage to this forum.

out

Well put lol and get at least at 32 if the 64 isn't an option

Mr.Mcgoo

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I have used both platforms but not the most current platforms. I like both and have not had any issues with either. I use a Macbook so when I went to Android it took awhile to adjust but did not work with it as smoothly as the iPhone did but it was expected.

IOS i would say is an easier platform to use not that Android is difficult but they are just different. I think with the release of Android newest platform it is going to make things very interesting what the future will bring.

So as which to choose that is always a personal choice but I do believe with the newest android software and IOS they are balancing out. One will always work better for some and as for me I still cannot make my own mind up which platform I want to use for the next year...

Good Luck and remember it is still a phone...

eyeseeyou

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the flash issue, install the puffin or skyfire app.

A replacement for google maps and is just as free as the android version get an app called waze or the free mapquest app.

Customizations are limited to the wallpaper and now ringtones/alerts. The closest solution to to that is that there are thousands of really really creative iPhone cases.

Sent from my iPhone 10

Cluskie

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I had numerous htcs on android and a blackberry now get a iPhone 4s.

It's the best of the bunch, best screen, camera, speed, memory and the battery lasts a day so I ant complain.

I'm in the uk so have no 4g tbh it's still quick enough on 3G and wifi

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Punkd

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I recently switched from Android too. Here's my take:

1. No flash has not been an issue.
2. I miss the ability to customize my home screens and use widgets.
3. The lack of text timestamps on ALL messages bothers me too.
4. The inability to access the battery is not an issue.
5. The noticeable difference between 3g and 4g is not an issue for me.
6. I recently discovered Waze as a suitable replacement for the Android navigation system.
7. I haven't had a need to be on the phone and online at the same time.

The one item that you didn't list, that I miss the most, is the Swype keyboard. I hear rumors that Swype may officially be coming to the iPhone shortly (I believe there is currently a jailbreak version for the older models).

Another issue is the inability to attach files directly from the native iPhone email app. I get annoyed at times when I'm replying to a message, and want to attach a file, but can't.

To me, it is a push as to which system is better. The form factor, feel, and look of the iPhone is much better than the Thunderbolt and Incredible 2 that I was previously using. So for me, the hardware design of the iPhone outweighs the minor OS issues.

If there was an Android phone with the physical design aspects of the iPhone, I would probably stick with Android.

Last edited:

sbalchand

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I have been using iPhone 4 for 3 weeks now. Was using Motorola photon before that.
I believe everybody should try every platform every couple years. I have been using android for over 2 years before making this move.
While I enjoy some things about iOS, I miss some things from Android.
If you love gadgets go ahead and order one, just don't expect it to be perfect. Like someone said, it's only a phone.

thesolutions

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've recently owned a BB Bold 9650 and a Motorola Droid Bionic. I was waiting for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus but got sick of the wait and splurged on an iPhone 4S. I have not regretted that decision! It is very stable unlike the Bionic. The camera is freaking awesome. I do miss Pdanet and some other Android features but overall, the iPhone is a much better phone.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had 4 different droids and recently got a free upgrade to a droid incredible 2. The only thing I miss from the droid is google navigation. Other than that I keep coming back to the iPhone. Battery life is so much better. And the iPhone is just a smoother OS. No lag that you have with the droids. IMO the iPhone is a better phone. As far as customization... Overrated IMO. The iPhone just works!

mikah15

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I used to have the thunderbolt before picking up my iPhone and honestly I love my iPhone. I never worry if my text is going to the wrong person or whether my phone is going to last all day or just a couple hours. I say pick up the iPhone, you won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sofryj

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Long live the king

Haven't you heard? Mobil flash is dead!

I'm a convert. What's worse, I was staunchly anti-apple to boot. But here I sit, iPhone on my side, happy and proud. I was afraid I would feel restricted and controlled after the switch, but now I can tell you I feel free..

Let me tell you something about battery pulls..they always needed to be done at the worst possible times. Of all the benefits of moving to the iPhone, this is the most compelling to me. RELIABILITY!

I do miss the turn by turn navigation Google Maps provided on my Android. I cannot deny that.

I also miss having the option of removable/expandable memory, but not that much.

You can get pretty creative customizing in an iPhone. I thought I was going to miss that the most, but its not an issue at all.....and if, after the switch, you really feel you need it, JAILBREAK.

The only other negative I can really say about my iPhone that I didn't have with my Android....I'm scared to death of dropping it. My Samsung was very tough....Gorilla Glass, plastic back,....overall, very tough and took abuse like a champ. The iPhone is clad in glass (not gorilla tough) front and back. Whats worse, the way they did it, the corners have NO protection. I refuse to cover the beauty of my phone with a case, but in turn I live in constant fear.

In conclusion, I am happier than I ever thought I would be with my iPhone. I recommend making the switch. If I'm wrong, then you will have the ability to switch back.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
My overall experience with HTC phones (Windows Mobile & Android-based) is that they're great in the beginning when you get them. However the longer you use them (add stuff like contacts, pics, music, etc) they get bogged down to the point of being unusable. HTC has a tendacy to underspec their phones.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I currently have an HTC Thunderbolt which I bought back in March/April. At first I loved it, but now I am not so sure. The battery only lasts a few hours, even when I am not heavily using it. I do close out the apps, so I know that that is not the issue. It also has a glitch where sometimes my texts go to the wrong person and it is embarrassing when you have to tell that person you're sorry and that text wasn't meant for them. It also reboots constantly which I find to be annoying as well.

I have the option to upgrade my phone to the iPhone4s but I am still on the fence about it. I went and played with it in Verizon today and I LOVE the camera. It is still 8mp like mine but the screen resolution makes the picture more clear and crisp. I love how Apple offers more apps that are relevant to my life and I also love how the iPhone is sleeker looking when the Thunderbolt barely fits in my pocket. And from what I have read, Siri is pretty useful too.

Here are my concerns:

I switched to the iPhone mainly because I own all Apple products in my household. If not for that I would have stayed with my android devices. However, I do like my iPhone 4s as its a solid device. Is it better than the Droids I've owned? No, it's just different.

You have the Thunderbolt which, was the first 4g device offered by VZ. However, like I always say, you cannot judge all android devices the same.

If you have 4G service now you will miss it downgrading to 3G. The TB does experience battery drain on 4G but the new Samsung and Moto devices are worth checking out along side the 4S. I guarantee you the Samsung and Moto devices will provide a much better user experience than the TB.

The concerns you have can really only be answered by you. What I or others find not to be big concerns may very well be for you. If you like everything about android but not the Thunderbolt then change manufacturers not software platforms.

As long as you purchase the device that suits YOUR needs and taste then, that will be the right device whether it's android or iOS. Good luck.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
My overall experience with HTC phones (Windows Mobile & Android-based) is that they're great in the beginning when you get them. However the longer you use them (add stuff like contacts, pics, music, etc) they get bogged down to the point of being unusable. HTC has a tendacy to underspec their phones.

I completely disagree.

d-clem

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
i had an evo before my iPhone 4s, and hated on everything apple. I was a huge android fan, all for the open market blah blah blah. My battery sucked ass, my camera that was supposed to be so incredible sucked ass, i tried to love all these "incredible apps" but realistically never found anything that blew me away, and the ones i liked i couldn't really use because it would kill my battery. And android people don't say i had a bad battery because i went through six evo's and probably well over ten batteries and many more externally speakers that kept blowing.

My girlfriend has had iPhones for years and got a macbook pro last year and i bought her an iPad last year as well. well needless to say after hating on her as well, i fell in love with apple, bought a macbook pro, drooled over the idea of iPhones coming to sprint and now that i have gone apple i will NEVER go back. The way everything "just works" with apple is awesome. everything just flows together seamlessly. from iTunes, to iPhoto, to the smoothness of iOS. I'm an app freak now and i can actually use them, all day long, and still have battery life left. I'm an amateur photographer as well and with this phone it has done nothing but expand my hobby, the photos are absolutely phenominal. i'll post some if you're interested. i could go on for days about how crazy i am about this phone and apple in general. It's just amazing, it surprises me everyday.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR