Having iphone 4s run Verizon and Att?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
is it possible to have and iphone be unlocked so that you could have a verizon number and att number? :confused:

The GSM portion of a Verizon-sold/activated iPhone can only be unlocked for use outside the USA... (it might be physically possible from a pure hardware front... but neither carrier will do it) The direct answer to your question is the word spelled between the letters "M" and "P" in the alphabet. (that would be no for those in Rio Linda...)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The GSM portion of a Verizon-sold/activated iPhone can only be unlocked for use outside the USA... (it might be physically possible from a pure hardware front... but neither carrier will do it) The direct answer to your question is the word spelled between the letters "M" and "P" in the alphabet. (that would be no for those in Rio Linda...)

I was under the impression that if it was unlocked it could be used for any gsm carrier period.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
not two numbers at the same time though. can't have a 2-line phone, unless you get a Chinese version...one that has dual-sims... Ha!

I knew that. I meant if a Verizon purchased iPhone is unlocked for gsm, it would work on whatever gsm carrier including the U.S. wouldn't it?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I knew that. I meant if a Verizon purchased iPhone is unlocked for gsm, it would work on whatever gsm carrier including the U.S. wouldn't it?

No. As I said above... Verizon iPhones GSM functionality can not be unlocked for US carrier GSM use... and it's likely not a hardware thing - it's just the way they (Apple & ALL the carriers) agreed to make it work.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
No. As I said above... Verizon iPhones GSM functionality can not be unlocked for US carrier GSM use... and it's likely not a hardware thing - it's just the way they (Apple & ALL the carriers) agreed to make it work.

Well, it for sure can't be a hardware thing. I'm just curious because 4s's are all equipped with the same radios. So if a Verizon phone is unlocked then it's just something that apple has coded into the software for it to not be functional if I was to put my AT&T sim card in it. This whole time I thought it could.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
So if a Verizon phone is unlocked then it's just something that apple has coded into the software for it to not be functional if I was to put my AT&T sim card in it.
Everything I've come across thus far says that's the way it is...

B

bonesb

You can't have 2 active #'s running at the same time on the same phone

Not true. Nextel phones have had two-line capability for years. I've got 3 friends with i560 phones with 2 lines on them right now. I own an old VZW v325 that had 2-line capability - and had two lines too - that I keep around for emergencies - VZW will activate only one line on it now.

That US carriers have opted to not activate phones with 2 lines is the point IMO. Moto has made 2 line phones for years.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Not true. Nextel phones have had two-line capability for years. I've got 3 friends with i560 phones with 2 lines on them right now. I own an old VZW v325 that had 2-line capability - and had two lines too - that I keep around for emergencies - VZW will activate only one line on it now.

That US carriers have opted to not activate phones with 2 lines is the point IMO. Moto has made 2 line phones for years.

But even those phones only one NAM could be on, and make/place calls - not like a home phone with two lines, and be able to answer the one that was ringing... you had to switch what NAM was active.

Last edited:
B

bonesb

That the US CDMA carriers will not allow its versions of the 4S is moot, we all know that now. The world phones I've bought simply haven't had the US radios built into them. For devices I've activated on VZW that have the correct radios, VZW simply blocks the MNC (mobile network code - 410 for ATTWS) and Country Code in the firmware - or they simply won't activate it. Regulation of the carriers, which is done in Europe but ain't gonna happen here, might change this but I'm not going to hold my breath...