Strange Battery behavior

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Didn't see any similar thread so far so hopefully it is not a repeat of somebody else's experience. I have had my 4s for about a month. To start with, battery was far better than my 3GS but after upgrading to 5.0.1, i can easily go for a full day usage with medium to heavy usage. I definitely think 5.0.1 helped my battery.

However starting this week, i am seeing a strange behavior. It used to take about 20 min of web browsing for my phone to drop 1% in battery power. But for the last 5 days, i have been seeing it go down 1% every 5 minutes. Now here is the interesting part. If I press home+power button simultaneously to do a reset, battery usually jumps back again. For example, i did a reset at 98% battery level this morning after 10 minutes of usage. When it came back on, it was showing 100% again. Also after doing a reset, it seems that i am usually getting more juice out of my battery. Anybody else experienced it?

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Didn't see any similar thread so far so hopefully it is not a repeat of somebody else's experience. I have had my 4s for about a month. To start with, battery was far better than my 3GS but after upgrading to 5.0.1, i can easily go for a full day usage with medium to heavy usage. I definitely think 5.0.1 helped my battery.

However starting this week, i am seeing a strange behavior. It used to take about 20 min of web browsing for my phone to drop 1% in battery power. But for the last 5 days, i have been seeing it go down 1% every 5 minutes. Now here is the interesting part. If I press home+power button simultaneously to do a reset, battery usually jumps back again. For example, i did a reset at 98% battery level this morning after 10 minutes of usage. When it came back on, it was showing 100% again. Also after doing a reset, it seems that i am usually getting more juice out of my battery. Anybody else experienced it?

I would pay attention to what your usage says on a charge... settings>general>usage... how many hours of usage are you getting on a full charge.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
I would pay attention to what your usage says on a charge... settings>general>usage... how many hours of usage are you getting on a full charge.

It has not been consistent at all. Sometimes i get as much as 15 hours of usage with more than 1 day stand by and some other times, i only get say 8 hours of usage with 15 hours of standby.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Then I'm going to assume that they type of usage also varies greatly. Playing music from the device ( music ON the phone, not streamed ) will GREATLY inflate your usage stats. Doing a lot of work primarily over 3G ( or even wifi ) will hit your battery a lot harder.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
it sounds like your getting very good battery life.. you probably havent read the other threads where people are getting barely 2 hours of usage in some cases.. I really think you don't have much to complain about..

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It has not been consistent at all. Sometimes i get as much as 15 hours of usage with more than 1 day stand by and some other times, i only get say 8 hours of usage with 15 hours of standby.

it sounds like your getting very good battery life.. you probably havent read the other threads where people are getting barely 2 hours of usage in some cases.. I really think you don't have much to complain about..

:)i have to agree with noaim here, according to what you posted about your usage above, i'd say your doing pretty good compared to what some other people are getting, or not getting for that fact.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
I apologize if I came off as complaining about my battery life. Infact i mentioned it in the very first para of my post that I am getting great battery life.

My issue is not bad battery life, my issue is my iphone telling me X% of battery and the very next minute, after the reset, it shows Y% (where Y > X) :). I was just trying to make sure if anybody else has seen this behavior and if they have any tips for me..That's all

I understand i am getting better battery than some of 4s users and I am thankful for that:) Anyways, thanks for your quick responses.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I apologize if I came off as complaining about my battery life. Infact i mentioned it in the very first para of my post that I am getting great battery life.

My issue is not bad battery life, my issue is my iphone telling me X% of battery and the very next minute, after the reset, it shows Y% (where Y > X) :). I was just trying to make sure if anybody else has seen this behavior and if they have any tips for me..That's all

I understand i am getting better battery than some of 4s users and I am thankful for that:) Anyways, thanks for your quick responses.

:)ok....sorry i mis-interperted as well Lucas. Now i understand what your saying !! I do remember seeing something somewhere, and for the life of me i cant rem. my memory is terrible. But yes what your seeing happen with the battery meter i've briefly heard of--i *think* it may be a glitch with the iOS(?) dont quote me there, as i'm unsure. By any chance, have your tried checking out MacRumors forums? You might find something there about it. heres the link:)
MacRumors Forums - Mac News and Rumor Discussion

edit: also, have you tried a total discharge of your iphone till it shuts off and then doing a full fresh charge on it? this may help "calibrate" the percentage #

Last edited:
Reactions: LucasVictor#IM
Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Pink. I will see if macrumors has anything on this. I'll also try to draining the battery completely and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your help.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have heard of that happening however I dont really see it as a problem... the battery meter probably just resets to the battery on reboot..

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
The battery % meter isn't exact. I've turned my phone off then back on and it's gone up a percent or 2 before. I wouldn't really worry about the percentage changing a little. I could be a software glitch, or your phone may need to zero out to reset itself.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Pink. I will see if macrumors has anything on this. I'll also try to draining the battery completely and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your help.
No prob:) glad to help if possible !!

I have heard of that happening however I dont really see it as a problem... the battery meter probably just resets to the battery on reboot..
The battery % meter isn't exact. I've turned my phone off then back on and it's gone up a percent or 2 before. I wouldn't really worry about the percentage changing a little. I could be a software glitch, or your phone may need to zero out to reset itself.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Agree with both of you. I would think if there is a drastic change in the percentage before and after booting back up, then I'd be worried. Like going from 90% then reboot and have it show say, 81%- then I'd be a little concerned there. But a percent or two, nah. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR