Alright, let's hear the horrible drop stories!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to the Pimping my 4S thread, I was able to find a black back glass assembly and pentalobe screwdriver (for the 4S's special screws) at United iPhone Repair which arrived today. Super fast shipping! The back glass plate was only $19.20 and the screwdriver was around $10. The backs come in different colors! They sell lots of goodies for the iPhone as well as different color front panels as well as replacement batteries.

My husband and I changed the back glass ourselves in a couple of minutes (most of that time was spent looking for a dropped screw!) and the whole deal was under $35 - much better than having to get a replacement phone from Apple!

Here's the link :)
iPhone 4S Back Glass Assembly - United iPhone Repair

Thx for this link LV, I don't know if I have the guts to do something like this even as simple as it seems, but I'm gonna check out the website anyway. :)

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
O. M. G. LVMH, did you pimp your baby? ...it's pink!!! :D

LOOOOOOOVE it;):):D

LOL! No, that was the photo from the site but OMG even though I love black devices and accessories, it is cute enough to seriously consider it especially now that I have the clear speck case! :D

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Thx for this link LV, I don't know if I have the guts to do something like this even as simple as it seems, but I'm gonna check out the website anyway. :)

It was surprisingly easy to do, I promise! So easy that it annoys me that "independent contractors" are charging $50-$150 to change the back piece! And remember, we had to remove a shattered back so a simple swap is a breeze! They have tutorials on the site and if you google "how to change back glass on the iPhone 4s" or something like that a bunch of videos will pop up from YouTube. Just be careful not to drop the microscopic screws! Oy! ;)

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
LOL! No, that was the photo from the site but OMG even though I love black devices and accessories, it is cute enough to seriously consider it especially now that I have the clear speck case! :D

ooooooooh !! ok, i thought that you did yours while the hubby's was under 'construction' too !! lol.

It was surprisingly easy to do, I promise! So easy that it annoys me that "independent contractors" are charging $50-$150 to change the back piece! And remember, we had to remove a shattered back so a simple swap is a breeze! They have tutorials on the site and if you google "how to change back glass on the iPhone 4s" or something like that a bunch of videos will pop up from YouTube. Just be careful not to drop the microscopic screws! Oy! ;)

Master of Puppets also told me that its easy to do--literally a maybe 5 minute task. BUT i just really don't know if i'm brave enough to try it out, lol.

I think back to how many times i changed out the trackball in my 8330 to change colors of it, and i was told its even easier to swap the back out than doing that. SO, idk, MAYBE one of these days i'll get brave and attempt. But for now, i'll leave well enough alone;)

The Apple shop thats here by us charges $30 to swap out the back(if i rem correctly) and i think the front is $150 like you said.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
ooooooooh !! ok, i thought that you did yours while the hubby's was under 'construction' too !! lol.

Master of Puppets also told me that its easy to do--literally a maybe 5 minute task. BUT i just really don't know if i'm brave enough to try it out, lol.

I think back to how many times i changed out the trackball in my 8330 to change colors of it, and i was told its even easier to swap the back out than doing that. SO, idk, MAYBE one of these days i'll get brave and attempt. But for now, i'll leave well enough alone;)

The Apple shop thats here by us charges $30 to swap out the back(if i rem correctly) and i think the front is $150 like you said.

If I ever get my metal back in, I'll take a video of my changing it out, and upload it. I've never done it before, but after seeing all the videos, it looks like taking a battery cover off, but having 2 screws holding it on. If you can do the trackball switch you can do this.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
If I ever get my metal back in, I'll take a video of my changing it out, and upload it. I've never done it before, but after seeing all the videos, it looks like taking a battery cover off, but having 2 screws holding it on. If you can do the trackball switch you can do this.

:)ok great !!

In the meantime, i'm gonna check out youtube and see what vids i can find on it also just to kill my curiosity:)

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
:)ok great !!

In the meantime, i'm gonna check out youtube and see what vids i can find on it also just to kill my curiosity:)

If there are a bunch of them showing how to do it, let me know, because there's no reason to add to the many vids for a simple task like that.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

Swapping out the back piece is definitely WAAYYY easier than changing a trackball! And yes, it is just like removing a battery cover but with two teeny screws. ;)

Last edited:

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

Our Apple store here in L.A. didn't give us the option to swap out the back! Would only replace the phone which hubby didn't want to do for just the back piece. Otherwise we would have brought it in immediately especially since it would be the same cost as doing it yourself and no worrying about losing the screws! ;)

And I promise, this is a million times easier than swapping out the trackball on a BB! :)

Last edited:

Ginbill

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I had a slow mo drop moment today. My iPhone 4 in the OB defender launched across the tile floor at Walmart. It bounced about four times. I was dying in that moment. lol I knew it'd most likely be fine but still..

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
If there are a bunch of them showing how to do it, let me know, because there's no reason to add to the many vids for a simple task like that.

Swapping out the back piece is definitely WAAYYY easier than changing a trackball! And yes, it is just like removing a battery cover but with two teeny screws. ;)

Our Apple store here in L.A. didn't give us the option to swap out the back! Would only replace the phone which hubby didn't want to do for just the back piece. Otherwise we would have brought it in immediately especially since it would be the same cost as doing it yourself and no worrying about losing the screws! ;)

And I promise, this is a million times easier than swapping out the trackball on a BB! :)

OOOOOOkkkay...i went onto youtube and watched a vid on it, and yes--there are quite a few of them E.....holy crow--what a piece of cake:) it REALLY is easy, lol. SOOO i may just do this one day. For now i do want to enjoy my phone nice and crisp white:)

heres the link to the vid--it was literally the first one i clicked on
How to change the back glass of an iPhone 4/4s - YouTube

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I had a slow mo drop moment today. My iPhone 4 in the OB defender launched across the tile floor at Walmart. It bounced about four times. I was dying in that moment. lol I knew it'd most likely be fine but still..

:eek: oOoOoOoOoh NOOOOO !! i think i wouldve passed out as it was tumbling--thank G for the OB defender;):)

I actually took mine off for about an hour today while sitting at the table having lunch & boy did that feel weird using it naked !! Well, as soon as lunch was done--i covered that baby right back up all snuggly warm in her little ob defender case:p lol.

Ginbill

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
:eek: oOoOoOoOoh NOOOOO !! i think i wouldve passed out as it was tumbling--thank G for the OB defender;):)

I actually took mine off for about an hour today while sitting at the table having lunch & boy did that feel weird using it naked !! Well, as soon as lunch was done--i covered that baby right back up all snuggly warm in her little ob defender case:p lol.

lol Exactly. If my phone is not in a case holding it feels so odd. Btw I got that purple/turquoise defender yesterday in the mail finally, I love it! I have to type a little harder because I also have an actual screen protector on the phone from before when I didn't have a defender yet. Thinking about losing it though.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
lol Exactly. If my phone is not in a case holding it feels so odd. Btw I got that purple/turquoise defender yesterday in the mail finally, I love it! I have to type a little harder because I also have an actual screen protector on the phone from before when I didn't have a defender yet. Thinking about losing it though.

Your right it does feel weird without a case, lol. I thought the same thing!! My purp/turq defender is due today or tomorrow. I cant wait to get it-I recd my daughters already(Xmas gift) and just checked it out and I love it too!!

Btw, I have a screen protector on along with the defender but my typing is ok. I don't have to tap an harder. My protectors are the ones Verizon has so idk if maybe they're thinner than usually ones. :confused:

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to the Pimping my 4S thread, I was able to find a black back glass assembly and pentalobe screwdriver (for the 4S's special screws) at United iPhone Repair which arrived today. Super fast shipping! The back glass plate was only $19.20 and the screwdriver was around $10. The backs come in different colors! They sell lots of goodies for the iPhone as well as different color front panels as well as replacement batteries.

My husband and I changed the back glass ourselves in a couple of minutes (most of that time was spent looking for a dropped screw!) and the whole deal was under $35 - much better than having to get a replacement phone from Apple!

Here's the link :)
iPhone 4S Back Glass Assembly - United iPhone Repair

How is the camera flash with the new back? Is there a flash diffuser?

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I dropped mine the other night thanks to White Castle's cup lids popping off easily, and dropped on my driveway, screen side down. :eek: Needless to say I have some small scratches on the bottom right of the screen. :mad::mad:

joosen

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The other day I was at an amusement park... filled with roller coasters... :x I put my iPhone in the inside pocket of my jacket. First drop, was fine.. the next drop... well, my iPhone fell out and I saw it hit the track and fell down the side!! I wasn't able to grab it. IT WAS HORRIBLE. Had to wait till the park closed so the staff could go look for it. They didn't find my phone that night. Luckily, the next morning, they found the phone, got a hold of me, and I rushed to go pick it up.

To my surprise... No damage on the phone at all! The case has a few chips here and there, but it cost me 3 bucks, so I can get it easily replaced. Since I had an invisibleSHIELD on both the front and back, the screen has no scratches cracks or anything! Still trying to find some damage on the phone, I have yet to find any flaws.

Never check your phone at an amusement park!

Last edited:

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
How is the camera flash with the new back? Is there a flash diffuser?

Haven't noticed any difference in flash photos. No clue whether or not is has a flash diffuser -- but the interior of the glass plate is almost identical to the original piece, so I guess the answer is yes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal