cross-platform messaging

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure where to post this..so here it is.

Is there a way to text message between two different platforms - iPhone to BB - without just using text messages? I'm looking for something similar to BBM, since I now have the iP4s and my wife is still stuck on her BB 9800.

Since we're not BBM'ing any longer, we have to use more text messages, which we're only on the 200 text msg plan (I know i can upgrade to unlimited text).

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
What about GoogleTalk?
I used to use that on my BB before, but not sure if it's available for the iP4s..

I just tried Facebook Messenger.. we'll see about that one.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
You could try WhatsApp Messenger. Its the first program in the social networking category. It has pretty good ratings. Never tried it myself, so I can't say wether I think it's good or not.

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
You could try WhatsApp Messenger. Its the first program in the social networking category. It has pretty good ratings. Never tried it myself, so I can't say wether I think it's good or not.

What's app messenger is a good app but not the best thing for limited text users as it still charges you a text. That is with att not sure what your carrier is. Believe me, I've tried.

There is AIM, yahoo messenger, ping chat, kik messenger. You could set up a google voice and use that for text. (that's what I use) Only downfall with GV is no MMS support.

Happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone communication device using Tapatalk

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Whatsapp sends via the Internet, it doesn't get charged as a text at all! That's why you can send with no service but connected to wifi!

@dp_scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I've tried whatsapp and Kik. I liked Kik the best! Are they still having legal issues with blackberry though?

peege

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Is Live Profile still available? When it worked it worked extremely well across all platforms...replica of BBM

crackercraig#IM

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ive been using PingChat for about a year since some of my friends went from their bb's to the iPhone 4. Now that I have the 4s, I use it to text back and forth with my wife and will continue to until she wises up and gets rid of her 14 month old antiquated blackberry curve.

Ive found that PingChat is the best of all the different ones that I have tried. Its a lot like bbm and you can send video, voice, text etc...

and the messages send instantly. there is zero delay whatsoever. Give it a try.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I got an email about a month or 2 ago about Kik Messenger now being available for BlackBerry. I converted to iPhone almost a year ago but forgot to update my BlackBerry mailing lists. Kik is free too! I love it!!

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I looked at the reviews for Kik and some of the others and there were quite a few comments about these programs crashing, etc. Both my wife and me downloaded WhatsApp today (she's on a BB 9800) and so far it seems to be working well.

If I tried Kik, I'm assuming that both of us would have to download this app?

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I looked at the reviews for Kik and some of the others and there were quite a few comments about these programs crashing, etc. Both my wife and me downloaded WhatsApp today (she's on a BB 9800) and so far it seems to be working well.

If I tried Kik, I'm assuming that both of us would have to download this app?

yes which ever messenger you choose you both have to download the application.. people just like kik and live profile because it has the r and d like blackberry messenger

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Well I just downloaded Kik onto both my iP4s and her BB 9800 and my initial impressions were not good.it seemed like such a hassle to create an account, then it doesn't seem to be able to search through my contacts.. I have to "invite" them to join Kik...

The program lasted all of about 3 minutes on our phones and then deleted it. I'm sticking with WhatsApp...

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Well I just downloaded Kik onto both my iP4s and her BB 9800 and my initial impressions were not good.it seemed like such a hassle to create an account, then it doesn't seem to be able to search through my contacts.. I have to "invite" them to join Kik...

The program lasted all of about 3 minutes on our phones and then deleted it. I'm sticking with WhatsApp...

use whatever you would like... were just making suggestions.. I have used kik and it works fine I still have it installed on my phone along with whats app and live profile..

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
^^^
I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions.. Seems like WhatsApp works for us, but again, i do appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. I'm sure other do as well.

Besides, WhatsApp has cool icons on my wife's BB.. like school busses, cars, etc.. I dont seem to have those on my app on the iPhone...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox